8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How good a scanner? There are $20 scanners available at walmart that'll give you codes and allow you to clear them but not much else. Similarly there are bluetooth dongles that connect to your phone for about $15 which have a little more functionality but don't have the greatest refresh rate or layout.
It all goes up from there in price depending on what exactly you want but there's been a few ~$80 bluetooth OBD2 scanners that I've been looking at to say the least

Edit:guys i found a site near me and it does free shipping too!! https://ljmcardiagnostics.co.uk/
Thanks you!

·
Registered
152 Posts
How good a scanner? There are $20 scanners available at walmart that'll give you codes and allow you to clear them but not much else. Similarly there are bluetooth dongles that connect to your phone for about $15 which have a little more functionality but don't have the greatest refresh rate or layout.
It all goes up from there in price depending on what exactly you want but there's been a few ~$80 bluetooth OBD2 scanners that I've been looking at to say the least

Edit:guys i found a site near me and it does free shipping too!! https://ljmcardiagnostics.co.uk/
Thanks you!
At risk of sounding cliche, honestly it depends on what you need it to do. Regular cheap scanners can see and sometimes clear trouble codes.

A good Bluetooth (or WiFi, harder to setup but just as good and could be more secure) "dongle" or interface adapter would work well, depending on the app or program you use. A free or cheap app is a little more limited but you could spend closer to $10 or more (I know, expensive for an app) and get a more advanced app, or one that allows you to run plugins/add-ons for specific years/makes/models/systems. The dongle itself shouldn't matter much (as long as its not a super cheap, basic unit)

Or, you could spend closer to $200 to get a badass bidirectional scanner that will do alot more than just reading and erasing codes, it can trigger and send signals and more, good for diagnostics.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts