8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks, just a few questions:

1) A close friend of mine is changing exhaust and he's willing to sell me his skunk2 70mm for a really good price. Just need some confirmation that an s/c will not break a 70mm exhaust (yes, I know I won't be able to yield the best gain because of that 0.25", but I need to know if s/c will break a 70mm exhaust just like how a s/c can break the stock exhaust)

2) I know that s/c increases torque linearly since it is dependent on rpm. What I'm interested in is will I lose the low end torque when starting to accelerate from a stop? The exhaust piping is bigger than stock after s/c, and the engine needs to drive the s/c pulley (more weight), so I'm guessing starting to accelerate from a red light (civilized acceleration, not WOT) would probably be similar or worse than stock until you get to mid-high rpm?

·
Registered
49 Posts
(1) A quarter inch is still a pretty decent amount. While I can't speak from experience, I very highly doubt the supercharger would do anything terrible to the exhaust though. Most of the supercharger companies only recommend an exhaust, not require it, so I'm sure it'll hold up just fine.

(2) While there are inherent parasitic losses due to the belt drive, the power addition is much greater than this loss and is rather instantaneous. I would assume that from a stop, power delivery would be similar -probably a hint better- until about 2000-2500 rpm, then everything will become more lively from there.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi, thank you for the feedbacks

Definitely made up my mind. Just debating whether I should go for comptech supercharger now or kraftwerks

Now I'm definitely looking forward to my build!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Supercharger like u said is belt driven meaning it is making certain amount of boost at certain rpms. Even if you are in lower rpms, power will be there instantly with no lag. If you were talking about turbo, then there may be some region in the lower rpm where it feels like stock until the boost starts to build. In my experience, I didn't notice any slower pick up with the supercharger. It made it easier to pass people because you have instant 200+ torque literally across the ENTIRE powerband. Look at a graph of a supercharged Si. It's a straight horizontal line for the torque curve. There is no curve haha

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
3 Participants
alsdnd444
8th Generation Honda Civic Forum
We’re a community for 8th Gen 2006 - 2011 Civic owners to discuss performance mods, body kits, Si models, turbo kits and accessories. Come Join the club!
Full Forum Listing