8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
11,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
horrible engine whine while upshifting and downshifting....hurts my head. The whine can be heard while revving the engine, with tranny in neutral.

weird whiny sound while the car is at idle.... as if the car has caught cold.

Honda dealer said, my car is fine.

:bsflag:

suggestions?

bad alternator?

PS: what is the replacement cost of the alternator? my powetrain warranty is out.

I have been stock all along.

·
Registered
11,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
^lol.

If you alternator was bad your battery would not be holding a charge. So scratch that. Have you tried replacing your belt?
$225 (new) @ Collegehills > College Hills Honda Parts

They also sell remanufactured alternators.
woah...

nice advices...will take a look

thanks

However, anyone seen or faced something similar to what i'm experiencing? I remember ryryninja having a similar problem, not sure though.

·
Premium Member
26,381 Posts
noh...cause im trying to convince myself that it;s the alternator and nothing else. Like I said, the sound isn't as obvious and loud as Ninja's car.
:rotfl: I already started harassing him about this thread anyway. Sorry about your noise though. It's really annoying in the video.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I haven't thought a lot about this yet but hopefully we can all narrow it down. Do you hear the whining sound with the clutch open or closed? My friend's transmission makes a a noticeable amount of noise when the car idles in neutral with the clutch closed. If he opens the clutch (pushes the pedal), then the whining sound stops. Hopefully this idea helps.

·
Registered
11,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I haven't thought a lot about this yet but hopefully we can all narrow it down. Do you hear the whining sound with the clutch open or closed? My friend's transmission makes a a noticeable amount of noise when the car idles in neutral with the clutch closed. If he opens the clutch (pushes the pedal), then the whining sound stops. Hopefully this idea helps.
my whine happens regardless of the clutch position+ Neutral or in gear, it don't matter.

·
Premium Member
81,069 Posts
:thumb:

is this the pulley?

College Hills Honda Parts
Well for the alternator it got completely replaced. The idler pulley is the highest mounted pulley in the engine bay. You should try the screwdriver to your ear trick to see exactly where the sound is coming from.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.