8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
8th-a-holic
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So all, on this beautiful feb 15th, 2009, What are your predictions for this 61st season of America's most famous Motorsport? This sport (and yes, it is a sport) believe it or not, brings in more revenue each year than Football, baseball and basketball COMBINED. And It's hard to argue with history.

For many of us (myself included) NASCAR has held a special place in our hearts throughout our childhood and even through our adult years. To my family, it was more than a sport.

On February 18th 2001, A champion's life was cut tragically short. I was at Daytona that day, sitting on turn 4 with my great uncle and my father, on what is now one of the most significant days in the history of NASCAR. The day 7-time Winston Cup Champion, Dale Earhardt, was killed. He put his car into the wall nose first at 198 mph, a crash many drivers have seen before. This one would have a tragic end.

It is from the ashes of this tragedy that NASCAR recieved more publicity than ever before. And to this day, It is the most watched/most attended motorsport in America...and perhaps, the world.

So please members, Discuss. And take a moment to remember the man, that died on lap 198 of that fateful race.

·
Premium Member
19,589 Posts
I watched the race. Kind of a let down with the rain shortening the race. I guess the most controversial part of the race was the altercation between Dale Jr. and Brian Vickers, which triggered a massive accident. Dale was off his game with the bad pit stop as well.

I was a Dale Earnhardt fanatic through and through. A part of me died when he was killed in 2001. I cried like a baby and mourned for quite awhile. He was the essence and embodiment of NASCAR racing. I quit watching for quite a few seasons, but started to watch the 500 again in 2006. I still don't watch the season though like I used to before Fox took over broadcasting.

I remember watching the epic race in 1979, that memorable day when Ken Squier and David Hobbs called the race on CBS. Watched Cale Yarborough and Bobby Allison duke it out while Richard Petty won because of the crash of the two above mentioned drivers. That race put NASCAR on the map. CBS to this day, still is the best there is when it comes to broadcasting the 500. Fox in all its cinematic glory cannot capture the essence of the race like CBS did with Ken Squier.

Thanks for the nice post. :thumb:

·
Registered
28,322 Posts
Ask anybody who knows me in the Orlando area and I'm a diehard Earnhardt fan until I leave this planet. I've been running a Dale Earnhardt plate frame since '99 and I will continue on every car I drive in the furture. I vacationed in North Carolina so that I may go to DEI during my time there. Needless to say I purchased several pieces of merchandise one of which was a black #3 hardhat that I wear proudly only on raceday along with my pitshirt.

The day after The Man in Black was tragically taken from us :sadface: I went to my local NASCAR collectible store and promptly purchased the '01 1:24 diecast of his car. The store told me that I would have to wait two weeks to pick it up but I didn't care. I will take that diecast with me to the grave.

The wreck that Jr caused today was only partially his fault. Yes, he was off his game today but Vickers got WTF he deserved. Payback is a motherfacker Vickers!!! I still remember when the a$$hat(Vickers) took out the 48 car causing Jr to wreck with him while Jr was leading the race at 'Dega two years ago. The obscenties that spewed out of my mouth when I saw WTF Vickers did that fateful day will forever put him on my sh#tlist till the end of time.

I don't give a fack who you are don't ever talk sh#t about Dale Earnhardt in my presence. On this past Thursday a fan of the 24 car decided to talk sh#t about Dale within earshot of me. Lets just say he was on a direct flight off of the fandeck in the Fanzone if he would've continued his tirade. :mad:

There have been many good things that have come out of Dale's death. The number of safety improvements that have been enacted save lives today and into the future. It was a shame that it took the death of a legend for these safety improvements to be finally realized.

I truly do feel that if Dale were still alive then Jr would still be at DEI. Jr has not been the same since the passing of his father in '01.

Post #3 :rockwoot:

·
8th-a-holic
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Amen brother, amen.

Tomorrow, I will take a pic or 2 of my DE memorabilia...lets just say I have FAR more than anyone really should...My wife calls it an unhealthy obsession...maybe this will say something:

In case you cant see the vanity plate it says:

Dale Earnhardt-7 time champion-*championship years*-1951-2001
And on the rear of the car, a LP frame that reads: "Winners come and go, but Legends live Forever."

·
CHOO-CHOO!!!!!!
14,929 Posts
I hate that Kyle Bush got caught up in Jr's temper tantrum today. He certainly had the car to beat. I've been watching Kyle race since he was 16 in ARCA, and he definitely has a long, dominating carreer ahead of him in NASCAR.

I'm extremely curious to see what happens with Stewart/Haas Racing in the next season. I love Stewart, and hope he does well. I'm also interested to see how Mark Martin will do driving a full season with Hendrick.

I know winning the 500 is a lifelong dream of all these guys, but I don't know why Kenseth was crying. He didn't win, he was just in the lead when the rain came. Sure, the win will count, but it's still not the same as crossing the line on the last lap, with the checkers waving.

·
8th-a-holic
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I know, its a shame. But life happens. Its bittersweet really for him.

For those who are curious...Here is just a fraction of my DE collection:

^front and back of T-shirt purchased at "Daddy's" Daytona. Didnt have the opportunity to have it signed by him. Wished I did though :(. Farbeit for be to think ANYTHING like that would happen that day.

^Front and back of the jacket given to my dad (and then to me) By Mr Earnhardt.

Just a handful of my other collectibles. Inside the cardboard box is a Diecast collectible. I have never opened it.

My family and the Earnhardt's have been friends for many many years. Its a shame the tragedy that has happened to the family, and an even bigger shame to the family what Teresa has made DEI...:readtherules: Rich as it made him, for Dale, It was never about the money. It was about love for the cars, the fans and the sport. THAT is what made him great. He had a passion for it.

·
Premium Member
19,589 Posts
The wreck that Jr caused today was only partially his fault. Yes, he was off his game today but Vickers got WTF he deserved. Payback is a motherfacker Vickers!!! I still remember when the a$$hat(Vickers) took out the 48 car causing Jr to wreck with him while Jr was leading the race at 'Dega two years ago. The obscenties that spewed out of my mouth when I saw WTF Vickers did that fateful day will forever put him on my sh#tlist till the end of time.

I don't give a fack who you are don't ever talk sh#t about Dale Earnhardt in my presence. On this past Thursday a fan of the 24 car decided to talk sh#t about Dale within earshot of me. Lets just say he was on a direct flight off of the fandeck in the Fanzone if he would've continued his tirade. :mad:

I truly do feel that if Dale were still alive then Jr would still be at DEI. Jr has not been the same since the passing of his father in '01.

Hey bro, chill. I am on your side. I too am an unabashed Dale Jr. supporter. He is the main reason I watched the 500 or any other NASCAR race for that matter. I have followed his career since he ran in the Busch series in 1998 and I still remember the momentous day when he ran the #8 Budweiser car for the first time in Winston Cup.

I do feel Dale is not driving the same as he did say from 2000 to 2006. Maybe the constant bickering with Theresa did something to him or maybe the pressure of living up to his Dad's larger than life reputation has put too big a burden on his shoulders.

I really thought he would take off with Hendrick last year. Unfortunately, the entire team was off save for the late season rush by Jimmie Johnson. He ran well in the 500 until he was sidetracked by the pit lane penalty.

I agree that Vickers' blocking of Dale was uncalled for. It stank. Dale however should have stayed away from any contact with Vickers so that he could have gotten his lap back. I listened to all the talking heads after the race and the opinions were mixed whether Dale hit Vickers intentionally or not. I know Darrel Waltrip came out unequivocably on the side of Dale and said that Dale is not a dirty driver, which I totally agree with.

The sad thing is the altercation between Dale Jr. and Vickers took out many other good cars, notably Kyle Busch. Dale's teammates paid for it too.

As for if Dale Sr. was still alive, yes, by all means, Dale Jr. would be driving for him and the team would be considerably different from what it is now. I imagine that Dale may have even won a championship or two had Dale Sr. been running things.

BTW, I have a Dale Sr. jacket, die cast cars of different scales and an Action 1/18 scale weathered Corvette C5R that Dale ran at Daytona. Dale Sr. still is fondly remembered by this fanatical race fan.

·
Premium Member
19,589 Posts
I hate that Kyle Bush got caught up in Jr's temper tantrum today. He certainly had the car to beat. I've been watching Kyle race since he was 16 in ARCA, and he definitely has a long, dominating carreer ahead of him in NASCAR.

I'm extremely curious to see what happens with Stewart/Haas Racing in the next season. I love Stewart, and hope he does well. I'm also interested to see how Mark Martin will do driving a full season with Hendrick.

I know winning the 500 is a lifelong dream of all these guys, but I don't know why Kenseth was crying. He didn't win, he was just in the lead when the rain came. Sure, the win will count, but it's still not the same as crossing the line on the last lap, with the checkers waving.
I agree. Was sad to see Kyle taken out because of the fracas between Dale Jr. and Vickers.

As for Stewart, he looks to be strong already. He has a good team with him and Ryan Newman. And I would dearly love to see Mark Martin win a bunch this year. He has always been one of my favorites.

The victory ceremony was a joke. Fireworks in a rain shortened race? Kenseth crying when the race was only 3/4 of the way through and besides, the race finished under a caution/red flag. I hate endings like this. I know there is nothing people can do about the weather, but this is the Super Bowl of NASCAR racing. I wish the race could have gone to the finish.

·
8th-a-holic
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Im going to quote myself from this same thread but on a different forum. The subject brought to me was Jr. and how I feel about the way he has been (or hasnt been) racing recently.

ArmyofOne said:
I know its been 8 years...but give the guy a break...its the anniversary of his fathers death. Wouldnt you be a little off too? Especially being at the same track, doing the same thing your father was doing when he died... Gotta be hard for the guy. Yet he feels compelled to race just to keep his father's memory alive, although he doesnt have to.

·
Registered
3,617 Posts
I agree. Was sad to see Kyle taken out because of the fracas between Dale Jr. and Vickers.

As for Stewart, he looks to be strong already. He has a good team with him and Ryan Newman. And I would dearly love to see Mark Martin win a bunch this year. He has always been one of my favorites.

The victory ceremony was a joke. Fireworks in a rain shortened race? Kenseth crying when the race was only 3/4 of the way through and besides, the race finished under a caution/red flag. I hate endings like this. I know there is nothing people can do about the weather, but this is the Super Bowl of NASCAR racing. I wish the race could have gone to the finish.
i'm very interested in the stewart bandwagon this yr too. i followed him away from joe gibbs and the home depot 20......although all my home depot 20 gear is gonna be collecting some dust. haha

·
Premium Member
19,589 Posts
Whats so fun about watching cars go in circles?
Flame me all you want, I just don't get Nascar.
I think if you have motor oil in your blood, then it will appeal to you. For my part, whether it be planes, trains, boats, ships, motorcycles, trucks, cars, if it is a machine that can transport people, I love it.

The personal appeal of the Daytona 500 is the incredible skill it takes to go 200 laps at over 190 mph, running 3 or 4 abreast. If you have watched these guys draft each other at these speeds, it is a real art.

BTW, Juan Montoya from F1 is running a Cup car as is Scott Speed. There are also many from Indycar racing, so obviously NASCAR attracts a lot of talent. Other F1 guys have tried NASCAR and have found it incredibly difficult to master.

One more thing: NASCAR does have road races. Also, the oval tracks vary from 1/2 mile to 2.66 miles at Talledega. Watching the cars at Bristol is incredible and to see the crazy speeds at Talledega can keep you on the edge of your seat.

·
8th-a-holic
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Whats so fun about watching cars go in circles?
Flame me all you want, I just don't get Nascar.
thats whats great about NASCAR, if you dont get it thats quite ok. We dont mind!

I dont enjoy gory movies, but some do. same kind of thing.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Yeah I lost all feelings for jr when he went hend..I'm rusty fan so I just stick with the duece and kurt busch..the reject brother..placed 10th Sunday so I shouldn't complain..penske ftw..

Since rusty retired I've been looking to jump ship to another driver..I might have found that driver..he took a lick Sunday but he's young and has tonssss of talent..joey logano!!

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Have to say I also was a big Dale Earnhardt fan... Also a Jr. fan... Sort of dissapointed the biggest race of the year was rained out with 48 laps left... Feel for those people who went in person to the race... Have to say I believe Vickers is as much to blame for that wreck too... Should be a good year to watch(well lets hope so)...

·
Registered
28,322 Posts
I too can't stand for the fact that Jr drives for the Evil Empire. If it weren't for the Evil Empire logo on almost all of Jr's merchandise I would have several pieces by now.

Logano has a very bright future.

1 - 20 of 101 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.