8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
what do you mean by "actual code" you want to know like PO117 or such, or you want an explanation along with the code number on the screen as well? :thumb: Theres a few out there that are worth a shot. Really you cant go wrong if all you want is a code reader. Im working w/ a Matco CAN series at work i picked up last year and i love it. :rockwoot:

I would just get a basic basic one to just give you the actual numerical code such as "PO171" and just do some research online to save some coin :biggrin:

·
Registered
10,957 Posts
There are a few different systems that can read codes and also run diagnostic tests. Autotap and VAGCOM are the two that I've used. They allow for data logging so you can isolate issues.

I also use a scangaugeII in my car as a more accurate water temp and to track instant MPG useage and trip MPG.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I have the CarChip Pro. Unlike ScanGauge, which gives you realtime sensor reading in the car, the CarChip is a data logger with a USB jack. It records engine data to onboard memory and you can view plots of engine data on a computer. The main reason I got it was to pull check engine codes, but the data logging and plotting ability is pretty sweet.

Link to Product Page

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.