8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Acorns!
17,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, here is my test drive experience today:

I went to the Honda dealership to find nothing there. When I went inside to get a brochure and I was told that they still didn't have any. They told me to wait for a salesman in the lobby, so I did. He came in and told me that he could do much better than a brochure and I followed him outside. Behind the building was an 06 honda civic sedan in blue that was just being pulled off a truck. :thumb:

We looked the car over for a while and then he told me that it needed to be inspected before it could be taken out on a test drive. When I got back, it was all cleaned up and ready for a test drive. He got the keys and we went on a drive.

The car was a 4dr 5speed sedan in blue.

I was amazed at the way the car drove. Immediatly I noticed that the car has a very VERY light clutch. The clutch was lighter than the 7thgen models, and it engages very high - almost at the top on release. The throtle is different as well - compared to the 7thgen. It is much more responsive, which I'm sure has to do with the drive by wire. The car is MUCH more quiet as well. Honda put insulation all under the hood area to keep road/engine noise down - and it works. This car doesn't make much noise at all. Driving without the radio on was very peaceful. Steering was very good, and felt very connected. I hate how some cars don't give much feedback when driving, and this one feels good. Body roll isn't very strong, and it cornered well. I punched the gas a few times from a stop and it had pretty nice pickup. I took the car to redline in 1st and 2nd gears and almost into 3rd. I would equate it close to the 7thgen EX w/vtec. The model I drove was not the EX. So, it was an improvement in HP for sure.

Another nice feature was the telescoping wheel. The wheel would go up/down and forward-backward. Very nice for getting the perfect angle to drive at. The dash area is very easily read, and the mph speedo was pretty easy to get used to. I wasn't quite sure how I would like the speed so high up on the dash, but it works out pretty well. You don't have to look down very far from your line of sight to see how fast you're going. The dash area on the civic is HUGE. It seems like it just goes on forever. If you look at the pictures, take note of how long the front windshield is - and the angle it meets up at the hood. I'm guessing this design netted a higher MPG over the long run and cut down on the wind resistance and wind noise.

Overall I think this car is a big winner. The radio (150 watts) sounded great, nice tone - base/trebble. Not a lot of distortion for a factory radio - big improvement over 7thgen sound for sure. MP3 cd player is stock as well, so you really can't complain there.

I know some other members have wondered about the positioning of the stick shift, and it felt great. The 5 speed felt very crisp and the positioning was great for myself. Overall the car had a increase in size, better radio, less road noise, better hp/tq, better steering wheel adjustments, responsive driving, and excellent fit/finish. All interrior pieces of the car looked very very tight, and never rattled a bit. The car felt very solid, and I'd have to give the trim a great rating. The only other car I felt had amazing fit/finish lately was the acura TSX. That car had great trim pieces/fitting - and that is built in japan.

If you're even thinking about getting another car - I'd test drive it against other cars you're interested in. I was honestly going in thinking it would be just like a 7thgen with a new body style. I walked away realizing that honda really built a brand new civic.

Large pictures and gallery images can be found at the link below. Images are also of 2 different cars. One is the blue 5 speed I drove. The other champagne colored - is the EX with navigation. The car just made it to the dealership when I returned from my test drive. They said they wouldn't have it ready to drive for a while, and it was already spoken for. They let me go into the garage while they were prepping it though to take some pictures for the site.

Thanks goes out to Ashland Honda - and my salesman Scott Elkins. If you're in the tri - state area - (ohio/west virginia/kentucky) ask for him. He treated me well and deserves the business. Thanks again.

Full gallery Images HERE

·
Registered
21,304 Posts
EXCELLENT review, Webby! :rockwoot: The pics are really cool!!

You cleared up a few questions I had-thanks! :thumb:

·
Registered
31 Posts
cool i saw one on saturday at the dealership too an auto ex with navi but i went yesterday and it was gone!! oh well next time i see one i'll ask for a test drive!

·
Acorns!
17,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I heard from one of the guys it's phenominal. I guess the civic is all touch screen for the nav. I'll see if I can get more info on it.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Thanks for such a good review, I take yours and Shemmy's opinion more than anyone...

I can't find a freakin' 2 door ANYWHERE...I've been to 5 dealerships today...leaving my phone number everywhere...I don't want to drive a 4 door auto, i don't think it'll be even close to a 2 door manual...

I hope they come in soon, i got all excited on my day off today for nothing...

·
Acorns!
17,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yah, the dealers all around me have no clue when the 2drs are coming in. They now have 3- 4drs as of this morning now. Another EX in white - auto - without nav. -msrp was like 19,500.

Hope they come in soon.

·
Registered
122 Posts
man...A very creepy salesguy just called me and said "Hey there...I just wanted to let you know we got some 4 doors in...perhaps take you for a little test drive...maybe change your mind."

Just for the record. I like women...but i seriously don't know if he wants me to buy a 4 door...or if he just wants...me...

kinda weirded me out...i hope a silver one comes in...just anywhere else than there...haha

·
Registered
111 Posts
FutureSiOwner said:
man...A very creepy salesguy just called me and said "Hey there...I just wanted to let you know we got some 4 doors in...perhaps take you for a little test drive...maybe change your mind."

Just for the record. I like women...but i seriously don't know if he wants me to buy a 4 door...or if he just wants...me...

kinda weirded me out...i hope a silver one comes in...just anywhere else than there...haha
LOL - sounds like you've got a problem! :wavey:

·
Acorns!
17,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
DeezV604 said:
how much hp and tq #'s did the one u drove have?
do u think that since it was built in japan it is better put together?
The one I drove was 140hp - LX version.

And yes I would say the Japanese version would probably be put together better from others experiences I've read in the past. Usually people tend to say they had less problems, or things were tighter on the japanese versions. I've never had one, so I can't compare from personal experience.

·
Registered
21,304 Posts
Info on Navigational System

webby said:
I heard from one of the guys it's phenominal. I guess the civic is all touch screen for the nav. I'll see if I can get more info on it.
Got this from the new Si brochure:

The Honda Satellite-Linked Navigation System with voice recognition is available in the Ex and Si.

The systems "brain" is an 8.0-gigabyte DVD database consisting of maps and more than 7 million points of interests-like ATM's and restaurants. Enter a destination, and voice prompts guide you while turn-by-turn directions are shown on a customizable 6.5-inch LCD touch-screen display.

Navi-equipped models get a digital audio-card reader to play your downloaded music files. The LCD screen displays your folder and playlists for easy selection!

The XM Satellite Radio is standard with the Navi system. You get over 150 channels, plus traffic and weather in many major U.S. cities. ALL music channels are commercial-free!!

:thumb:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Was told Coupes are about 2 weeks out

The dealer I dropped into last night said his first coupe is scheduled to arrive in about 2 weeks.

·
Registered
144 Posts
FutureSiOwner said:

now dats a great sales man. letting your customers know that he cares for them. :)

Test Drive and let us know how it was. :D

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for the excellent review...at least the new Honda Civic has been released there...in the Philippines we have to wait until next year...i am still patiently waiting for this car...

·
Registered
21,304 Posts
green lantern said:
Thanks for the excellent review...at least the new Honda Civic has been released there...in the Philippines we have to wait until next year...i am still patiently waiting for this car...
Sorry you have to wait another year for the civic. You know what they say, good things come to those who wait! :)

·
Premium Member
7,195 Posts
I Also Test Drove 2006 CIVIC

:driving: I test drove a 2006 civic 4 door ex MT. I loved everything about it except the door mirrors are misplace in my opinion. I allready left a $500 deposit for the 2006 civic I want. Atomic blue 5 speed mannual, with NAVI cuz I tend to get lost alot in the city:) I am eagerly awaiting the dealer to call me and tell me they got my civic in earlier than expected. They showed me the paperwork on what and when they were gettin what in. My car is not even assembled until OCT 5-9. which should put it at the dealer around 10-15. I cannot wait for it to get here. ALSO I asked to see the invoice on the 4 door ex with navi. it was $19,399 that includes the delivery charge but not the dealers detailing and pinstripping, and mud flaps, but I told them not to even put that junk on it. :driving:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts