8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I did own a civic sedan for a long time, a 2000 which I'd finally gotten just where I wanted it, reasonable aftermarket pioneer speakers, rockford sub, happy lil HU, and 110,000 miles, and I said:

self, you're a good person, go buy an expensive car.

So I went out and put myself in an 04 Rx-8 GT. What a freakin' ride! if you've ever wondered what it would be like to drive a zip zap... there it is, right angle cornering and absolute traffic carving agility. The problem is, this car came at a price... in 5 days of ownership and just over 600 miles of travel, I had to fill the tank 3 times, so my one week gas bill, over 90.00! :SHOCKED:

then, on day 4, the check engine light came on... I'd just driven this car off the lot, and it already wanted to go home! I took it in, the mechanic said it needed a new catalytic converter, and then pulled me aside, sat me down and said the following:

I don't know why they sold you this car, the day before you took it, we had it in the shop all day, the engine had flooded, and it was and is in really bad shape, personally, I wouldn't feel comfortable telling you you can drive this vehicle as it is.

So, I went to the dealer with this information, who was very polite in his explanation that it was nonetheless, my car, and they would be happy to keep it in the shop and see if they can get it fixed. He then said, since I did "just buy it" he wouldn't be averse to putting me in a mazda 3 or 6 for a similar price. Blech! I told him I'd have to drive around for the day and see what I could do.

Started going to dealers, went to a honda dealer who said they wouldn't take it in trade at any dollar amount, they were not interested in that car. (I thought I was in for a long day). Then I went to an Acura dealer, who offered me just about what I had paid for my car (close to the KBB value) and tried to put me in an RSX. Still not great gas mileage, but, solid car, great brand, but, my payments would be going up, as would my insurance. blech.

Went to a second Honda dealer, they low balled my trade, and had true difficulty moving from sticker on an 06 EX coupe... I worked them down a little bit, and a little up on my trade, but it was still ultimately, blood from a stone. They stuck by the fact that they really have no reason to drop to invoice since people wanted this car, and they had to order them regularly.

So, I shook some hands, said I'd take the offer around, and if they didn't hear from me, then I got the deal I wanted.

Just so happens honda dealer number 3 also has a mazda dealership, and the ability to move my car. I got back what I paid for it (plus equity against the civic) and they dropped the price on the ex to lower than I got any other dealer (PM me for numbers, I don't want to mess with anybody's business) suffice to say it was under KBB and edmunds and nada for "real world" pricing. Long story short, I am now the proud owner of a galaxy gray ex coupe. I'm a bit of an audio snob, and love to tinker with things, so I'll help out when I can and probably ask a billion questions.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it. (I probably won't ever not get a Honda again).

·
Registered
21,304 Posts
Welcome to 8thcivic. I'm glad everything worked out for you in the end. Congrats on your new galaxy grey Civic Ex! Post up some pics when you get the chance.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
welcome to the site, im glad to hear that everything worked out. post some pics and im also glad to hear that you will stick with honda!

·
Registered
215 Posts
awesome, glad it worked out for you. your honda will last you until whenever you get the bug to get a new one again. be in 100,000 miles or 500,000 lol :rockwoot:

Check out my thread about "who's right and who's wrong" honda verse mazda, you might it amusing

·
Crazy Yellow Puppet
26,930 Posts
:eek:mg: That's one heck of a story. Sounds like the original Mazda dealership needs to be reported. That's some shady business. But, on the other side, congrats on a great car. I don't think you'll be disappointed in your choice. Sounds like you got a great deal on it to. Post up some pics when you get a chance. :thumb:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts