8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is what i'm planning to do for the '08 Civic Si Coupe. I use the trunk a lot, so space is an issue. The Pioneer subwoofer will be in the factory sub location, allowing me to retain some space. Having a single amplifier is great as well. I can enclose it in a box with vents to allow items to be placed on top of the unit. I am expecting overall improved sound quality. Hopefully the free-air pioneer subwoofer performs at least 50% times better than the factory one.

Source:
- Eclipse AVN5510
-- Sirius Radio
-- Bluetooth Unit
-- iPod integration

Amplifiers:
- Alpine PDX 4.100 (2 x 100 & 1 x 200)

Subwoofer:
- Pioneer TS-SW841D 8" (factory location / free air)

Front Speakers:
- Alpine Type-R's or Type-X's Ref Components (not sure)
-- 14ga speaker wire

Rear Speakers:
- Stock
-- PAC BB-150A2 Bass Blockers, 150hz/4ohm
-- 16ga speaker wire

Also, should I run 8ga wire or 4ga wire for the amps? I was thinking 4ga only if I decide to upgrade later on..but who knows.

·
Premium Member
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what would you recommend?

·
Premium Member
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
3 times I drove around in northern nj and got held up in some long traffic.. being able to re-route through back roads to get home would've saved me a good hour or so each time. I thought it'd be a good idea to get a navigation unit for cases like this especially since I work 50 miles away.

I also use my phone a lot now and my bluetooth ear piece stopped working, so these are my reasons. I know i could've gone cheaper route such as the Parrot CK3200 unit for around 200 bucks and a portable nav for another 300-400 bucks, but I like integration much more.

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
Looks good. I would do this:

Type-x (more mellow sound) rather than type-r (more in your face, but not in a good way)

Dont bother with rear speakers at all. You won't miss them. Take the extra $100 and buy some sound deadener and deaden your doors, also separating front from rear waves*HUGE issue with speaker installs*, thus giving you much better response (ie: no wave cancellation).

Should have a nice setup that would satisfy you.

I'd just go ahead and go with 4 gauge. It's not necessary at all right now, but this price difference is pretty minimal. Knukonceptz makes a cheap amp kit that comes with the basics for hooking up an amp and also comes with 2-channel RCAs, and enough 16 guage speaker wire to wire the sub. You're going to need to get the following:
4 gauge amp kit
battery terminal
additional 2-channel RCA
speaker wire

You can get a battery terminal cheaper from parts express, but by the time you buy from 2 different places and pay shipping, you'll be much better off buying from this place.

·
Premium Member
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I already purchased the speaker wire from edesignaudio.com and the RCA's from knukonceptz.com - I went with the Krystal RCA Kables - 1x2ch and 1x4ch - I got the 4ch in case i ever wanted to put rear speakers in and amp them for 5.1 audio - it was only 5 bucks more so I figured why not.

I think I will definitely go with the Type-X's references (not much of a price difference anyhow. My music is a decent variety: Rock, Hip-Hop, Club/Techno, Pop, Reggaeton, etc.

I'm still up in the air for sound deadening. With the setup I have now, I don't think i'll be adding much weight. The Alpine PDX and Sirius Tuner unit are the only 'extra' things i'm adding to the vehicle. Considering I will be drag racing and doing some track courses, weight is an issue. However, I might be able to spare a few extra pounds on the front doors if it would help improve SQ.

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
Without at least adding some sound deadening to stiffen up the doors, and something to separate front & back waves, you're shooting yourself in the foot.

·
Registered
158 Posts
For some reason I thought you had factory NAV, I’m old and I get confused sometimes. Anyway Bluetooth and NAV are fantastic; I have them in my TSX and would not part with them. I know what you mean about the traffic around the tri state area. I’m from Long Island and I’ve pushed the detour button a few times myself.

Your equipment looks good but if you can get the type X I would go for it. I have a set in the Wife’s car, SPx177A’s and I love them. The reason I didn’t put them in the TSX was price and I got the Polks for free!

Good luck with your big project!

jeff

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
From reading reviews on the Pioneer REV 6.5 components, I would pick those over the Alpines, but I haven't personally heard either and I still don't have components yet so I'm not exactly and expert on the matter yet.

When it comes to adding weight to the doors. The components really won't sound near as good without deadening the doors and sealing them up along with a deflex pad or some closed cell foam for front and rear wave separation behind the driver itself. Also, getting the speaker wire through the door jamb is one hell of a fun time, and I ended up just taking my doors off to make it easier. Good luck with that.

·
Premium Member
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
From reading reviews on the Pioneer REV 6.5 components, I would pick those over the Alpines, but I haven't personally heard either and I still don't have components yet so I'm not exactly and expert on the matter yet.

When it comes to adding weight to the doors. The components really won't sound near as good without deadening the doors and sealing them up along with a deflex pad or some closed cell foam for front and rear wave separation behind the driver itself. Also, getting the speaker wire through the door jamb is one hell of a fun time, and I ended up just taking my doors off to make it easier. Good luck with that.
yeah when i had the EX it was a pain, but still managed to get it done..heh

I guess I might take everyone's advice on adding some weight to the doors, if anything.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts