8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well first let me say that I haven't let this story out a whole lot, but it's finally coming to a conclusion and I'd like to think that if nothing else, the outcome can be that other can learn from my mistakes and not go down the same path.

When I was 21, I was still somewhat immature about my driving. I didn't speed around everywhere I went, but I felt that I could do 10 over the speed limits and get away with it. Up to that point, I'd been involved in more than a couple fender benders and racked up a few speeding tickets. That should have been clue enough I was doing something wrong. I made the mistake of joining in a couple "how many tickets do you have" threads on some of the forums I frequented back then. I can't tell you how much money I wasted on fines and tickets; not necessarily for speeding mind you, but loud exhaust and other fix-it tickets; and then of course the lawyer fees to keep me on the road when in reality I should have just faced the music.

Well either way, one night I was cruising out to Old Navy with my girlfriend, we were on a 4 lane road, and I was doing about 55 or 60. The road was a 45 zone, but I told myself I was keeping up with traffic and doing 45 would have been a hazard. As I approached an intersection with a green light, I suddenly saw the headlights of an oncoming car turn across to try and make her turn before I made it to the intersection. She didn't take the extra second to look at the headlights of oncoming traffic to make sure she could clear the intersection. As soon as those headlights turned, I knew it was unavoidable. Brakes, loud noises, and an unknown amount of time later (felt like 10 minutes, was more like 2 seconds), my car was smoking, hood laying in the intersection, airbags had gone off, and I got out of my car, my shoulder in severe pain. The passenger of the car I hit died less than 30 minutes later, he was a 15 year old boy and his 17 year old sister was driving that car. 3 days later my girlfriend died due to stress to the arteries in her neck causing a lack of blood and air to her brain. In the aftermath of the accident, blame started to slide from the other driver to me, and with my terrible driving record it stuck.

I was crucified in the local newspapers, as a danger to other drivers and before I knew it, the whole brunt of the accident was on my shoulders. Those posts I'd made in forums resurfaced and were noted as me "bragging" about my driving record. The more I fought it, the worse it got. Finally, under advice of legal consel, I just gave up. I've never denied that I was speeding that night, and I've never denied that it played a factor in that accident. That I will have to live with and carry with me for the rest of my life. But the fact I was portrayed as someone who intended to cause that crash, that hurts deeply. As a result, I lost my license indefinetly.

Well, fast forward through a lot of court and mourning and soul searching to present day. I just found out after my 3rd formal hearing that I have been granted full resinstatement of my driving priveledges. For the past 10 months I've been on a restricted driving permit for work. Let me tell you, it's like a giant weight being lifted. Knowing that after 3 1/2 years, I'm finally at the end of this ordeal. And the reason I'm posting all of this, the reason I'm opening up and sharing this, even at the expense of the critism I might take is that people read this and slow down. I don't speed anymore. I get bothered when other drivers speed with me in the car. You never know who might get hurt and who may never walk away.

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
wow man. thats a crazy story. definatly didnt think there would be people on this forums that have gone through that type of stuff. absolutly insane, glad you made it through it all though, i don't know if i would have been able to. hearing it from a fellow 8th member definatly makes you think.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Good story to share for those who like to speed on the street. Thanks for sharing. Glad that you are licensed to drive to work finally.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Man...what a story.

I really appreciate that you brought that out, and I am sure that took a lot of guts. I can't imagine what you have been through with two fatalities and all.

Not to thread jack, but I totaled my car last night, and two passengers in my car was taken to the hospital for precaution. Both are out now with now with no injuries except for bumps and bruises. I have spent the better part of the morning on the phone with my insurance. tow company, people that were in my car etc etc. I have also been on 8thcivic....thinking if I should even post what had happened or not. Reading your message made my mind up.

I'm not going to go into specifics regarding my wreck but I will post pictures later on when I meet with the adjuster and I am able to take some.

Your post has made me think and rethink a lot about what had happened last night.

Thanks again for sharing and I hope a lot of other members get something out of this post as I did.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the support; like I said it's been over 3 1/2 years so I've pretty much coped as much as I can, and I wanted to post a before and after pic of that Civic just so people can see.

Before

After

The passenger side door was wedged shut as a result of the impact, the jaws of life were needed to open it, that's why it's bent out like that.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Thanks for sharing your story. Everyone makes mistakes in life, and the only perfect person walked the Earth over 2000 years ago. I'm sorry your mistakes had to be so costly. If you have any inkling that there is a higher power, pray and in time you will be forgiven.

I hope your message hits home to some fuktwits on this forum who still think it's cool to quote Vin Diesel passages and race or speed excessively on city streets. I'm tired of reading stories in my local papers about teens and college students thinking it's Ok to race around traffic in a stupid contest that 's only trophy is to show how small their dicks are.

Good luck in the future and the very fact you got on here and presented this to the forum shows your maturity.

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
Damn this story sounds like it came out of a movie. Sorry for your losses. I think you've got a pretty strong heart to go on. I probably wouldn't have forgiven myself if I took the life of three people, especially someone that I loved, even if it wasn't my fault.

Edit: I hope this story opens up some eyes for the people on this thread. There are a lot of retarded drivers out there.

·
Registered
143 Posts
wow thats really rough, but it sounds like it could have happened to just about anybody. im sorry for your loss but im glad you made it through

one a lighter note- "wyt rice" lmao

1 - 20 of 50 Posts