8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I decided I would express my experiences with both of these fine vehicles after recently coming back from both dealerships today. I'm going to express a non biased review of two manufactures I enjoy. So without further ado lets kick this thing off.

Honda Civic SI

Well whats their to say about this vehicle. I find the styling more attractive in person then I seen in pics. Nice round edges that give the civic a look of pure sexiness with a wing that sets the car off. On the inside is where it became slightly displeasing. For starters I couldn't quite get accustomed to the two tier drivers gauges. It seemed like I had to stair a mile into the car to see how fast I was going taking my eyes off the road slightly. Im sure this might come to pass within time where I can get accustomed to it. The seats where very supportive on my test drive keeping me in place. I came to realize that while everything fit well the interior seemed more economy[ish] compared to the classy interior of the VW. Although what it lacks in interior it gains on the road! I was very fortunate that my test driver let me drive this thing like a rental. hitting 98 on straights and taking corners at 60 in a 40 zone. We where in the middle of nowhere on farm land so I wasnt worried much. What the Honda may lack in other areas it surpasses on the road. The feel of chirping the tires in 1st 2nd and 3rd kept a smile on my face that wouldn't disappear till after I came home. The shifter was butter smooth with the whole feel reminding me of racing a high performance go-kart. I always felt like I was in control of the car never feeling slightly over or under-steer. Some may not like the fact that it has relatively low torque but my experience was quite opposite. It allows this car to function as a great city driver yet a high performance beast when woken from its cradle after 6k and the vtec sound is quite pleasing to the ears in typical Honda fashion

Volkswagen GTI Package #2.

Now this is the more well rounded car for everyday driving. When my eyes first stared at this fine piece of machinery two thoughts came to mind. First I didn't quite like the fact that the car seemed two toned. The black plastic piece on the bottom that wrapped the exterior made the car seemed cheap on an otherwise great car. Other then this slight defect I thought the outside is a perfect 10. I loved the standard xenon lights and the shape really struck me as something classy enough to bring your girlfriend to a nice dinner although sporty enough to show to your friends when your opening the lid to brag about your new Injen CAI. The fact that it pleases to the males yet the females scores extra cudo points in my book. Alright now to the interior. In my honest opinion this is where it outshines the SI. Simple but small things struck me as German brilliance from the different setting on the sunroof thats detailed into the panel to how the VW logo on the exterior also served as a way to open the luggage trunk. The leather seats felt really comfortable yet secure in a way that felt like it would be perfectly natural in a cross country trip or a lap around Nurburging *spelling*. The dials illuminated in an appealing way with everything just fitting perfectly together. The HUD by the speedometer really made me appreciate the amount of thought these German's put into the GTI. I would have no problem driving my gf around in this baby. Alright now to the test drive. At first I went into the DSG thinking its just an automatic that wasn't going to appeal my masculine needs but with the fact of the dealer having no manual's in stock I was stuck to it. WOW!!! Is all I can say, paddle shifters on a GTI which is relatively only available on 60k cars! This thing was brilliant with smooth. and precise shifts that gives your ego a boost of confidence in your driving skill. The power was very smooth yet powerful throughout the whole rev range being felt as little as 2k RPMS. At the end of my test drive I honestly wanted to go back out and drive for another couple hours with the excitement of the whole package from its interior, to its DSG tranny, to the precise power at all RPMS.

Now to my conclusion
Okay this was quite challenging. 21k is a bargain for the SI with everything it offers including the typical Honda reliability. Although when the end of the dayoccurred I liked the GTI not exactly for its performance (yet its not lacking) but the whole package of the leather, sunroof, AC adjustable for passenger and driver, as well as everything else included which racks up to nearly 29k if bought new. If I had to choose between the PKG1 GTI and the SI which is priced nearly the same i'd go for the SI for the sheer smile it put on my face. Yet i'm buying used so I can find a PKG 2 GTI for the same price as an SI 19k for both. When im comparing these two models i'd have to push the needle in the GTI's favor. Everything VW offers brings everyday ownership a joy with the amenities to the average consumer. So in conclusion you cant go wrong with either car. If I was buying new Id get the SI for it being 8k cheaper (I have no interest in PKG1) but since I'm buying used i'll have to tip my hat slightly in the GTI's favor. Cheers!

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
very very good reviews man.... i feel the same way about many of the things you mentioned.... except that i drive an Si so obvioulsy we dont agree completly :D

·
Registered
6,115 Posts
i'd choose GTI too. you get xenons, fogs, and turbo, standard. For only a 600 reflash in the GTI you can get 215whp and like 250+tq. Getting that in the Si will require modding intake and exhaust, and at least $1500+ to get that type of wheelhorsepower. What wins me over with the Si is the exterior looks of the car. I like it better than the GTI.

·
Registered
7,214 Posts
Yea I hear there is another reflash to make it have 280whp. I think it is upgradable for cheap but I think the Si has more potential down the road.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
i'd choose GTI too. you get xenons, fogs, and turbo, standard. For only a 600 reflash in the GTI you can get 215whp and like 250+tq. Getting that in the Si will require modding intake and exhaust, and at least $1500+ to get that type of wheelhorsepower. What wins me over with the Si is the exterior looks of the car. I like it better than the GTI.
and the Si just feels better.. its more fun to drive, tough to explain, but im sure you can agree with me

·
Registered
397 Posts
I find it interesting that you feel that the GTI is better for everday driveability, on my test drives I found that the Si won that department. Either way you will choose what you feel more comfortable with as that's what I did! Good review though!

·
Banned
6,166 Posts
I find it interesting that you feel that the GTI is better for everday driveability, on my test drives I found that the Si won that department. Either way you will choose what you feel more comfortable with as that's what I did! Good review though!
No way man, the GTi definately wins the DD department.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
i dig the gti ... my friend has an 06. Its a nice car all around. i'd say its got it all.. The downside is routine repairs.... like oil changes need special tools...the gti oil filters r just weird lol... i love my si though it would be a tough call if i were stuck between those 2 cars....

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
if i was about to spend $30K on a GTI (id do aero so that's where the price goes up
a little), i would spend a few extra grand and just get the R32.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
if i was about to spend $30K on a GTI (id do aero so that's where the price goes up
but then its like why not just get an evo/Z/STi which will all kill the R32... IMO the R32 is underpowered for the money

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Yea I hear there is another reflash to make it have 280whp. I think it is upgradable for cheap but I think the Si has more potential down the road.
Not really you need Reflash,intake,TB exhaust its really expensive to go stage 2.
Even with stage two you'll see 250 ish whp but like 300 tq!
but GTI mods are EXPENSIVE

·
Banned
6,166 Posts
Not really you need Reflash,intake,TB exhaust its really expensive to go stage 2.
Even with stage two you'll see 250 ish whp but like 300 tq!
but GTI mods are EXPENSIVE
Not as much as the Si's. The GTi flashes are about 600 bucks and net about 230whp, add the bolt ons and you are looking at 260whp or so...
but then its like why not just get an evo/Z/STi which will all kill the R32... IMO the R32 is underpowered for the money
Agreed.
Spending 30k on a GTi or R32 is like buying a Mugen Si, it's POINTLESS.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Spending 30k on a GTi or R32 is like buying a Mugen Si, it's POINTLESS.
Not totally the same comparison there. With the Mugen you're essentially getting the same packake, different styling and a few other touches. With the R32 you're getting a N/A 6 cylinder with all wheel drive. Much different from the 4 cylinder turbo front wheel drive found in the GTI. I'm not saying one car is better than the other or than the Gti is worth the extra $, BUT a mugen owner just has a different looking Si Sedan (for the most part) as opposed to the R32 owner who is driving a different car altogether (albeit they're based on the same platform).

Just my $0.02. Take it or leave it, I won't be offended :smile:

·
Registered
10,957 Posts
The GTI also has a ton of other features that you don't notice on the test drive. But like myself who owned a MKIV Golf for three years stepped over to the Civic, I noticed.

Little things like cargo hooks, easy entry front seats for using the rear seats, vanity lights, glovebox light, etc etc etc

·
Banned
6,166 Posts
Not totally the same comparison there. With the Mugen you're essentially getting the same packake, different styling and a few other touches. With the R32 you're getting a N/A 6 cylinder with all wheel drive. Much different from the 4 cylinder turbo front wheel drive found in the GTI. I'm not saying one car is better than the other or than the R#@ is worth the extra $, BUT a mugen owner just has a different looking Si Sedan (for the most part) as opposed to the R32 owner who is driving a different car altogether (albeit they're based on the same platform).

Yeah wooooooo [email protected]!$?#[email protected] OMFG!, they basically look the same, the AWD drivetrain parts weigh it down more (which it needs no help in), it's not a thought out AWD system like the EVO/STi. And no VW 2.0t and 3.2v6 is pretty much the same just like my styles 2.8t vs 2.8vr6. Excellent low torque, ok midrange, and no highend power what-so-ever.

They basically are the same (R32 and Mugen Si) you are paying for a special edition that isn't all that special.

I can't wait till someone tests the R32 and says, "It's a piece of ****, plain and simple."

·
Registered
10,957 Posts
Not totally the same comparison there. With the Mugen you're essentially getting the same packake, different styling and a few other touches. With the R32 you're getting a N/A 6 cylinder with all wheel drive. Much different from the 4 cylinder turbo front wheel drive found in the GTI. I'm not saying one car is better than the other or than the R#@ is worth the extra $, BUT a mugen owner just has a different looking Si Sedan (for the most part) as opposed to the R32 owner who is driving a different car altogether (albeit they're based on the same platform).

:yeahthat:

R32 is like a 4 seater Audi TT vr6.

·
Registered
10,957 Posts
Pimped MkV GTI vs. R32 - Latest News, Reviews, and Features - Automobile Magazine

"Laps in the R32 were, on average, 1.3 seconds faster than the GTI, despite the GTI's significant acceleration advantage. While the R32's lateral grip was a contributor to the faster laptimes, its ability to put down power was no doubt the biggest help. The GTI scrambled out of turns, spinning its front tires - at times even in third gear. The R32 simply rocketed out of the corners with no drama.

After driving an R32 at the Streets of Willow race course in California, I commented that the R32 was a terminal understeerer. This particular R32, however, behaved quite differently. The rear half of the car played an active role in the corners, rotating willingly, especially under trail-braking. Under throttle, the Haldex all-wheel drive system transfers enough power forward to pull the R32 back in line. Compared with the razor-sharp R32, the GTI fumbled around the track - and its brakes faded horribly after a few laps. Neither the aroma of cooked brakes nor the long, squishy pedal travel was to be found on the R32.

So while the GTI is very quick in a straight line, and the Koni FSD / Eibach Pro suspension kit makes it look and ride great, the R32 is still the MkV to beat when the roads turn twisty. In terms of straight-line performance only, the R32 is probably not worth the price premium, but you can't put a price tag on its much more civilized demeanor. Unlike the GTI, the R32 doesn't accidentally light up its front tires pulling away from every stoplight, and its brake pedal doesn't feel like mushy oatmeal. and the ability to travel in all weather modes

This is one comparison that's too close to call - it comes down to a matter of taste. Around town, the GTI is our choice, but for back-road blasts and track days, we'd spend the extra money for the R32."

I can't wait till someone tests the R32 and says, "It's a piece of ****, plain and simple."

·
Registered
682 Posts
Yeah wooooooo [email protected]!$?#[email protected] OMFG!, they basically look the same, the AWD drivetrain parts weigh it down more (which it needs no help in), it's not a thought out AWD system like the EVO/STi. And no VW 2.0t and 3.2v6 is pretty much the same just like my styles 2.8t vs 2.8vr6. Excellent low torque, ok midrange, and no highend power what-so-ever.

They basically are the same (R32 and Mugen Si) you are paying for a special edition that isn't all that special.

I don't remember saying anything about which had more power and which one was faster. Also the R32 is not a "Special Edition" GTI. It is a standalone model, however it has a limited amount of units being produced. A VW aficionado who owns an R32 wouldn't call it a GTI. A mugen owner probably wouldn't be offended by someone calling his car a Civic (what the hell else are they going to call it). Frankly I've never driven an R32 so I don't know whether or no it is a "Piece of ****", its more of a collectors car than anything, which is where the R32 and the Mugen are simliar.

·
Banned
6,166 Posts
Pimped MkV GTI vs. R32 - Latest News, Reviews, and Features - Automobile Magazine

"Laps in the R32 were, on average, 1.3 seconds faster than the GTI, despite the GTI's significant acceleration advantage. While the R32's lateral grip was a contributor to the faster laptimes, its ability to put down power was no doubt the biggest help. The GTI scrambled out of turns, spinning its front tires - at times even in third gear. The R32 simply rocketed out of the corners with no drama.

After driving an R32 at the Streets of Willow race course in California, I commented that the R32 was a terminal understeerer. This particular R32, however, behaved quite differently. The rear half of the car played an active role in the corners, rotating willingly, especially under trail-braking. Under throttle, the Haldex all-wheel drive system transfers enough power forward to pull the R32 back in line. Compared with the razor-sharp R32, the GTI fumbled around the track - and its brakes faded horribly after a few laps. Neither the aroma of cooked brakes nor the long, squishy pedal travel was to be found on the R32.

So while the GTI is very quick in a straight line, and the Koni FSD / Eibach Pro suspension kit makes it look and ride great, the R32 is still the MkV to beat when the roads turn twisty. In terms of straight-line performance only, the R32 is probably not worth the price premium, but you can't put a price tag on its much more civilized demeanor. Unlike the GTI, the R32 doesn't accidentally light up its front tires pulling away from every stoplight, and its brake pedal doesn't feel like mushy oatmeal. and the ability to travel in all weather modes

This is one comparison that's too close to call - it comes down to a matter of taste. Around town, the GTI is our choice, but for back-road blasts and track days, we'd spend the extra money for the R32."
That's Automobile Magazine dude, they are wayyyy VW biased. They make some of the GTi's advertisments... They would rather pay 9 more grand for the R32... :rotfl:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts