8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
15,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I never believed all those people saying that Shell V-Power was better than the average gas. I figured.. gas is gas. WRONG!

Recently I went on a road trip to South Dakota to visit the college I'm going to this January. I did cruise control at 75-85 the entire way there, which I think we all know isn't exactly great for gas mileage. I beleive I filled up twice at 270 miles with only 2-3 bars of fuel on the way there. On the way back, the wind was ridiculously strong and I could feel it pushing my car the entire time. At only 240 miles I had to fill up, and I decided to use shell v-power since it was conveniently off of the next exit when I needed to fill up.

To make the rest of the story short, I just re-filled my car today (with shell now) and I got 32 mpg on the way back. Now that doesn't sound astronomical.. but that's 1-2 mpg better than I usually get with kwik trip's gas, AND I was on the highway doing about 80 for over 250 miles of the tank in a strong head-wind. I'll definitely be surprised if I don't hit 400 miles on this next tank with more conservative driving. On the highway, there was a lot of spirited driving because you'd get some moron who thought it was cool to merge onto the road doing 15 less than the speedlimit constantly.

Anyways, there's my story. I'm impressed that I managed to get 32 mpg when I was driving at a very inefficient speed against a heavy wind and a heavy foot. Do yourself a favor and give it a try

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
air and humidity how often your ac compressor turned on, ambient
temps, road surface temps alter tire inflation, etc.

hard to tell.

·
Registered
6,059 Posts
Skylinegtr06 said:
Considering it costs way more than other gas, this kind of evens it out i guess
it doesnt cost any more than any of the other Top Tier gas such as Chevron and Mobil, and i would never put anything buy Top Tier gas in any car of mine unless it was a Geo Metro.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Ive recently started using only top tier gasoline also.... and there is actually one shell in my area that the price is actually the same as others or better.. so its all good for me..

·
Registered
15,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
kenchan said:
air and humidity how often your ac compressor turned on, ambient
temps, road surface temps alter tire inflation, etc.

hard to tell.
True. I don't think the temps changed too much, honestly, in the 2 days between trips. If anything, it got colder, because its been getting pretty cold recently, which would only make my mileage worse. No A/C at all because it was cold out, same road driven on.. no changes to the tires (that I'm aware of at least :xyxnervou )

Skylinegtr06 said:
Considering it costs way more than other gas, this kind of evens it out i guess
Costs the exact same as any other premium around here. The only difference is for shell, I have to drive 3 miles further than I would for kwik trip and it's in downtown, so it's a bit more of a hassle, but I'll do it for the 60+ extra miles I'm assuming I'll be getting with it.

flushdereal87 said:
if ur trying to save on gas...get an r18..
If I wanted to go back to the ride I used to have, then I would. I don't see how you can compare choosing a different gas and getting substantially better gas mileage to wanting to get a completely different car for better gas mileage...

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
flushdereal87 said:
if ur trying to save on gas...get an r18..
ah, if only it were that easy. I've been driving an LX coupe for a year and a half, and i've NEVER gotten 32 mpg out of a tank. If I get 30 im stoked.

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
Tiznonay said:
ah, if only it were that easy. I've been driving an LX coupe for a year and a half, and i've NEVER gotten 32 mpg out of a tank. If I get 30 im stoked.
at least thats 30mpg regular, I'd probably have to hit some completely unattainable number on my Si (which for me is any number over 22 :D) to get the equivilent of 30mpg regular.

btw, my dad's '05 AT v6 Accord with old style VTEC (no i) gets 30mpg regularly, so much for the amazing new wierd i-VTEC technology in the r18.

·
Registered
271 Posts
65 MPH on the highway, i get it easily.

on my last road trip, i passed 450. I could probably have gotten 500, but i was at less than a 1/4 tank and didn't want to push it...seeing as I was in the middle of nowhere.

·
Registered
5,804 Posts
NARFALICIOUS said:
65 MPH on the highway, i get it easily.

on my last road trip, i passed 450. I could probably have gotten 500, but i was at less than a 1/4 tank and didn't want to push it...seeing as I was in the middle of nowhere.
Oh sorry about that mate, i thought you had an Si

1 - 20 of 31 Posts