8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was one of the first 2dr 5spd civics owners in the north east. Big mistake #1. Anyways, the car now has 28,000 miles on it.

I haven't enjoyed the car one bit since owning the vehicle and frankly i'm fed up with it now that nothing is being done about it.

I have recalls left and right. - Valve Stem Caps, Gas Pedal, Both rear quarter glass (one side still rattles), OBDS (3x i went in for fix), and a few more I can't remember off the top of my head.

Things that have gone in for warranty: Driver side mirror non-functional - 2 times, still not fixed. It was replaced both times. Basically it was mis-diagnosed. Its obviously not the mirror but an electrical issue with a connector maybe?? I'm thinking of just diagnosing it myself.

Passenger side door has a problem opening from within the vehicle. Fixed first time.

Passenger front seat (rear plastic) keeps coming off. First time at dealer they never even fixed the problem. Bitched them out. Second time, popped off again as soon as someone sat in it.

I had taken these problems to both VIP and Open Road Honda in NJ. Personally i will never go to Open Road Honda ever again. When I had my tires rotated for free, they asked me if I wanted an alignment. I said no. I pull out of the dealer and go onto rt 1 and my alignment is now messed up. So I figured maybe it was during the tire rotation. I rotated them back to where they were originally and same problem. Service manager wouldn't do anything about it and the advisor denies anything about it. Seems odd it was fine when I brought the car there.

Having worked at Open Road and Academy Honda i would never expect a tech to do this. Granted I worked there over 2 yrs ago, i'm sure there are plenty of new techs around, but that's just messed up of one to do something like that.

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
Sorry to hear about your problems man, one thing I have learnt however is never to buy the first year of a redesigned model, I wait for all the recalls, TSB's, etc to come out, usually you are better off buying the second or even third year of a new model, when many of the kinks and quirks have been worked out. I wasn't even planning on buying my '07 Si sedan but I was getting a good deal and seeing as the non Si sedans were out for more than a year already and the same coupe Si engine had been around for almost the same time I figured I was safe. I have more than 3k miles on my car and no issues to speak of so I guess I got a pretty good one, they probably took their time to assemby mine maybe.

·
Premium Member
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Duce2k said:
Sorry to hear about your problems man, one thing I have learnt however is never to buy the first year of a redesigned model, I wait for all the recalls, TSB's, etc to come out, usually you are better off buying the second or even third year of a new model, when many of the kinks and quirks have been worked out. I wasn't even planning on buying my '07 Si sedan but I was getting a good deal and seeing as the non Si sedans were out for more than a year already and the same coupe Si engine had been around for almost the same time I figured I was safe. I have more than 3k miles on my car and no issues to speak of so I guess I got a pretty good one, they probably took their time to assemby mine maybe.

Well I had the first year Acura RSX Type-S also the first month of release with zero problems. I even was getting 5 more mpg on the city/highway then advertised. With my civic, i'm getting 27 in the city and 29 on the highway. Average highway speed is 70mph and being its a non-SI i never really get on it.

I wish Honda of America would work something out to get me an 07 model with the same payments, even if it meant having payments for another 5 yrs. I think that would be a fair deal.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Common,first year production -blah blah blah all over again.Don't you think that even first car coming out of the production shop should be solid and free of the major problems?I do understand some minor flaws within first year production,but "hello" this is HONDA for a god sake.
Mark you are not alone,this board is full of the similar stories and Honda is going down the hill with the build quality and service,no questions asked.8th Civic is first step down and we will see how the new Accord is going to prove legend Honda reliability.If its gonna be the same bull,I can see more and more people shopping somewhere else.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
blah, first gen here Si here, only problem i had was reflash which wasn't a must, and just a bit of rattling, thats all..i guess i just got lucky.

·
Premium Member
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
kingule said:
Common,first year production -blah blah blah all over again.Don't you think that even first car coming out of the production shop should be solid and free of the major problems?I do understand some minor flaws within first year production,but "hello" this is HONDA for a god sake.
Mark you are not alone,this board is full of the similar stories and Honda is going down the hill with the build quality and service,no questions asked.8th Civic is first step down and we will see how the new Accord is going to prove legend Honda reliability.If its gonna be the same bull,I can see more and more people shopping somewhere else.
I can't really complain, because Honda is known for their reliable motors. Heck, I have a '92 CBR 600 F2 with 20k miles on it and starts up strong still. Damn motor is like what, 15 yrs now? so can't complain there. BUT, its the little things that break that are annoying.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
unplugged said:
I wish Honda of America would work something out to get me an 07 model with the same payments, even if it meant having payments for another 5 yrs. I think that would be a fair deal.
Sceam LEMON LAW!!! I'm not sure what state you live in, but check the booklet they supplied you with. Usually if you have to come back for service 3 seperate times for the same problem, and they can't fix it.... It's deemed a lemon. Otherwise trade out of it and get something else.

·
Registered
315 Posts
anything open road, be it honda or acura, sucks balls. the open road acura is the worst place i've heard. i went to DCH academy to get mine. i got my car december 05, so it was kinda early, but really havent experience much problems-

·
Registered
706 Posts
4DoorWhore said:
Sceam LEMON LAW!!! I'm not sure what state you live in, but check the booklet they supplied you with. Usually if you have to come back for service 3 seperate times for the same problem, and they can't fix it.... It's deemed a lemon. Otherwise trade out of it and get something else.

In CA the car has to be down for 30 or more days in a 12-month period or have a problem that the car has been in for 3 times with the same mechanical problem and can't be fixed.

Lots of different problems like he's having wouldn't do it in CA.

·
Registered
226 Posts
sorry to hear about all the problems you're having/have had man. but honestly, like everyone already said, you should never buy a car the first year it's out. that's why I waited for until the last 07 models were out to get an Si so all the problems would already be taken care of beforehand.

·
Pillar of Objectivity
8,915 Posts
Just an FYI, most 2007 Civic Si's have the exact same problems the 2006 models have.

In this case, Honda probably didn't change a damn thing between the two model years to "cover up" for their failures on year one.

·
Premium Member
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
titleistforged said:
anything open road, be it honda or acura, sucks balls. the open road acura is the worst place i've heard. i went to DCH academy to get mine. i got my car december 05, so it was kinda early, but really havent experience much problems-
i worked at DCH Academy but ended up getting mine at Kay Honda, also a DCH company because they were the one to get the white civic I wanted.

DCH is pretty good with their service centers except its a bit of a drive for me.

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
I take it you live in NJ? Here's a clip from www.lemonlaw.com, they helped me get $$ from Ford when they could not fix a water leak that the car experienced since new.

"How does the NJ Lemon Law work?

The New Jersey Lemon Law covers drivers whose vehicles suffer a nonconformity or defect within the first 24 months or 18,000 miles, whichever comes first, that can't be repaired after repeated attempts (normally 3) by the manufacturers authorized dealership. According to the Center for Auto Safety, the New Jersey Lemon Law is the second most effective lemon law in the nation. Our site offers a summary of the NJ Lemon Law.

Does a problem always need to occur three times to be considered a lemon?

Not necessarily. If your car is in the shop 20 days or more in the first year, consecutive or not, we can file a claim under the Law. Likewise, if you are experiencing paint problems, the same kind of problem (electrical, water leak in the back versus water leak in the front, front brakes and then back brakes and then front brakes again), or if it is a significant problem that has occurred twice, we welcome you to submit your information for our consideration. We handle each case separately and we have made exceptions in the past."

----------------------

Lemon law covers serious or safety related defects. You may be able to get something out of honda since the car had the OPDS unit repaired 4x under warranty which is excessive and it'll prob break again down the road. There's a page on the site where you can contact them and tell them your repair history and then someone will contact you and let you know if you have anything or not. Beware, it's not fast though, a lot of time is spent sending papers to the automaker and wiating 30 days for their reply.

With my 05 Ford Taurus I bought it new and it had a water leak, that I had "repaired" at 1100 miles. It was back again at like 3000 miles with the same leak and then I got a new job where I drove a lot and just dealt with it till 27,000 miles when I took a day off and had it "repaired" again, once again it still leaked so I decided to pursue lemon law. Finally at 40,000 miles I traded the car in for the Si and 2 weeks ago recieved a settlement check from Ford. It was only $4,000 but it helped with the nasty depreciation hit the car took. Besides the leak the car was flawless and never had any problems, I drove it hard too.

I also didn't buy my car because it was a Honda and I thought it was going to be perfect. I just got it because I liked the looks and thought it was fun. I don't think many new cars are as reliable as models from years ago, there's too much electronics and "goodies" to go bad in them now. Look at Volvo, back in the 80's to mid 90's their cars where some of the most reliable cars you could get, now they're just like anything else on the road. I just hope I can get 200k out of the Si without too much trouble, should take around 5 years the way I'm driving it now.

The problems your having with your care are excessive though, I'd definately contact someone and try to pursue lemon law if you've got the time.

·
Premium Member
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
volvo9 said:
I take it you live in NJ? Here's a clip from www.lemonlaw.com, they helped me get $$ from Ford when they could not fix a water leak that the car experienced since new.

"How does the NJ Lemon Law work?

The New Jersey Lemon Law covers drivers whose vehicles suffer a nonconformity or defect within the first 24 months or 18,000 miles, whichever comes first, that can't be repaired after repeated attempts (normally 3) by the manufacturers authorized dealership. According to the Center for Auto Safety, the New Jersey Lemon Law is the second most effective lemon law in the nation. Our site offers a summary of the NJ Lemon Law.

Does a problem always need to occur three times to be considered a lemon?

Not necessarily. If your car is in the shop 20 days or more in the first year, consecutive or not, we can file a claim under the Law. Likewise, if you are experiencing paint problems, the same kind of problem (electrical, water leak in the back versus water leak in the front, front brakes and then back brakes and then front brakes again), or if it is a significant problem that has occurred twice, we welcome you to submit your information for our consideration. We handle each case separately and we have made exceptions in the past."

----------------------

Lemon law covers serious or safety related defects. You may be able to get something out of honda since the car had the OPDS unit repaired 4x under warranty which is excessive and it'll prob break again down the road. There's a page on the site where you can contact them and tell them your repair history and then someone will contact you and let you know if you have anything or not. Beware, it's not fast though, a lot of time is spent sending papers to the automaker and wiating 30 days for their reply.

With my 05 Ford Taurus I bought it new and it had a water leak, that I had "repaired" at 1100 miles. It was back again at like 3000 miles with the same leak and then I got a new job where I drove a lot and just dealt with it till 27,000 miles when I took a day off and had it "repaired" again, once again it still leaked so I decided to pursue lemon law. Finally at 40,000 miles I traded the car in for the Si and 2 weeks ago recieved a settlement check from Ford. It was only $4,000 but it helped with the nasty depreciation hit the car took. Besides the leak the car was flawless and never had any problems, I drove it hard too.

I also didn't buy my car because it was a Honda and I thought it was going to be perfect. I just got it because I liked the looks and thought it was fun. I don't think many new cars are as reliable as models from years ago, there's too much electronics and "goodies" to go bad in them now. Look at Volvo, back in the 80's to mid 90's their cars where some of the most reliable cars you could get, now they're just like anything else on the road. I just hope I can get 200k out of the Si without too much trouble, should take around 5 years the way I'm driving it now.

The problems your having with your care are excessive though, I'd definately contact someone and try to pursue lemon law if you've got the time.
if any one problem happens again it will qualify. but as of now i'm SOL for that

1 - 19 of 19 Posts