8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I absolutely love my car, but the only thing that makes me sad about this car is the rev hang. People blame it on DBW or whatever, but that is not the case. My gf has an 07 S2000 which also has DBW but there is no rev hang.

When you first turn the car on and the temperature gauge is still reading low, it's a totally different car. It's a lot more jerky and it surges, but the rev hang seems to be non-existent

Why oh why has Honda cursed us with this. The second Hondata or any company releases a product that resolves this issue, it'll will be my next mod, regardless of price!

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know what yuo mean. I can drive the SI smoothly most of the time, but that's because I'm use to the revhang. If I drive someone else's car, I hold the clutch in longer than I should and the RPMs drop way faster on me...curse you SI :(

·
Premium Member
141,752 Posts
Habanero SI Sedan said:
maybe a lightened flywheel would resolve the problem - too heavy of a rotating mass? that should allow it to rev up and down much faster
That doesn't have much to do with the issue, it's the ECU holding the revs up after you take your foot off the throttle for about a second or so.

Do a search on "rev hang"...

·
Registered
8,780 Posts
I haven't had any problems or frustrations with rev hang. I just learned to deal with it and adjust my shifting and manual driving style.

This "Rev Hang" is the least of my worries.

why is this rev hang so hated and sucha bad thing anyways to most of you?.

I'd REALLY like to know.

·
Premium Member
141,752 Posts
Johnold said:
I haven't had any problems or frustrations with rev hang. I just learned to deal with it and adjust my shifting and manual driving style.

This "Rev Hang" is the least of my worries.

why is this rev hang so hated and sucha bad thing anyways to most of you?.

I'd REALLY like to know.
It makes driving in stop and go traffic incredibly jerky. On/off throttle transitions are very sudden as opposed to being able to let off smoothly. It slows your upshift times down unless you aren't concerned about rev matching and are prepared to add the extra strain of "powershifting" to your clutch. Mostly, when you take your foot off the gas, you are doing it because you want the engine speed to drop, and this just delays it for you. I got my ECU reflashed with an updated program at the dealership and the issue is night and day.

Trust me, it's very annoying..

·
Registered
8,780 Posts
oh ok ofcourse, i've experience all of that but I guess it doesn't bother me cause i feather and mess with the gas the best I can when i'm at stop and go traffic to keep it from jerking and also when i'm in stop and go traffic, I use Neutral alot. When the cars start moving, I put it back in first and hit the gas lightly and take it back out and into neutral to coast up the line and behing the next car in front of me. i'm hardly in stop and go traffic anyways.

it doesn't bother me much.

·
Registered
38 Posts
i had my ecu reflashed today and it is quite a noticeable difference. the rpms don't hang as long as they were, but they are still hanging slightly. but, just from driving a bit after getting the update, it was much smoother. the most noticeable spot is in spot and go traffic which i am in every day. i am sure this is where i will seee the most improvement.

·
Registered
8,780 Posts
man rev hang does suck indeed. but i'm surprised that you guys haven't learned to deal with it or change your driving tactics around this "rev hang" stuff.

to be honest, i never really realize it unless i'm actually trying to find it.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Johnold said:
man rev hang does suck indeed. but i'm surprised that you guys haven't learned to deal with it or change your driving tactics around this "rev hang" stuff.

to be honest, i never really realize it unless i'm actually trying to find it.
That's exactly the problem. I drive my car every day so when I'm driving it, all seems well and shifts are not jerky. The problem is when I switch over to my gf's s2k (without rev-hang) and I start holding the clutch in too long (because of habit from rev-hang). Then, after driving the s2k all day and I come back to the SI, I find myself not compensating for the rev hang and it feels like crap. I just wish our cars would act normal :(

·
Registered
201 Posts
Does this only affect the '06 Si's or did they correct it for 07-08? I just got an '08 and I'm not sure I notice this problem so much.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It's for all SIs and base model civics too (or so i've heard)

Drive your car and rev it up to about 4500-5000 RPMs in 2nd or 3rd...It'll stick there for 0.5-1 second then finally start to drop, correct?

·
Registered
209 Posts
If you leave the AC on all the time it reduces the rev hang a bit. I think the rev hang spoils what is an otherwise great driving experience. It's not a lack of ability to adapt that's the problem, it's Honda releasing a defective product.

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
Got used to it but would still like it to act like a normal car.

I got my car because I LOVED my friends RSX-S but was upset by the throttle in this car. I'm used to it now so it dosen't piss me off, but it's a little silly when I think about it. Getting on the gas, shifting at 7k and waiting a whole second to let the clutch out. I'm not trying to break any speed shifting records in this thing, I just want to be able to shift it like the other 5 mt cars and the countless others I've driven at dealers.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I agree the rev-hang is a PITA, though I would say the 2nd/3rd synchros are right up there in the piss-me-off department. My 05 Evo had a similar rev-hang issue, also related to emissions, though with that car it was more of a problem due to the torque and rate at which it gained speed (modded).

I have gotten the (rev-match, etc.) timing down in the month or so that I have owned the Si but I still wish there was a solution. I ALWAYS run the a/c and that does seem to help but not nearly enough. Overall I am very satisfied with the car and enjoy every minute I get to thrash her around.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts