8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 2009 civic Si sedan and bought civic hybrid heated turn signal mirrors a couple of months ago from http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com (majestic honda). I got them new for about $180 shipped. I had to buy a different color mirror from the 2009 hybrid and correct color housing from 2008 hybrid. Here is the thread for those who are interested in buying them as well. Just scroll down until you see my post. http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/canada-sale-trade/184052-wtb-csx-hybrid-mirrors-turning-signals.html

Well, I looked everywhere for a heated side mirror install but could not find one. I chose to buy the Helm manual and document some of the important steps incase someone else wanted to do it to. The wiring of the mirrors is exactly like the Helm manual shows. This is my first DIY so keep that in mind. I soldiered all the splices. If I can soldier, anyone can. I'm not very good at that.

1) Remove the driver's dashboard under cover.

2) Remove the driver's dashboard lower cover.

3) Remove the subdisplay visor. This will expose the underdash fuse relay box.

4) Remove the navigation unit. Doing this will remove the center dash so you can have access to the HVAC control harness.

Follow these instructions for removing steps 1-4: http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/audio/34393-diy-oem-navi-conversion-dvd-receiver-etc.html

If you're looking for the turn signal mirror install, look here: http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/lighting/2127-diy-turn-signal-mirrors.html

Here is a picture of the area that you wire the turn signal mirrors to. The diy above does not show a good picture. Just splice into those two wires.

Some extra items needed to do this install, of the heated mirrors, in addition to the diy for the turn signal mirrors:

-OEM 5 terminal micro relay, purchased from Honda dealer (~$30):

-5 terminal micro relay socket, purchased from ebay already with wires:

-heated turn signal mirror or just heated mirrors

To bring the wires for the heated mirrors into the car, do it exactly like the turn signal mirror diy. The heated mirror wires will be blue/red and black/white. Use blue/red for power and black/white for ground. I think I used 16 guage wire for this.

5) Once wires are inside car, crimp a ring terminal onto the ground wires. Locate any bolt that is not easily seen on each side of the car and ground to that bolt.

6) On the micro relay socket, soldier together the wires for terminals 1 and 5.

7) Remove the G connector in the underdash fuse relay box by pulling up on the white lever.

8) Squeeze the gray cover shown in the picture above and slide to the left or in the direction of the wires.

9) Splice the micro relay wire, from step 6 onto G12 (brown wire).

Removing the navigation unit removes all hvac controls too. The brown plug from the hvac control unit should have 24 pins.

10) Splice micro relay socket terminal wire 3 to pin 22 of the hvac control unit's brown plug. It will be a brown wire.

11) Plug relay into socket.

These steps are not necessary but are here just to make sure the relay is wired properly:

Temporarily plug connector G back into it's plug. Remove the HVAC control panel from the navigation dash area and temporarily plug the brown plug back into it. Turn ignition on. With a volt meter, check to see if there is power from wire terminal 4 on the micro relay socket (about 12v). If there is, then hit the rear defogger button. The relay should click and terminal 4 should have no power. Press the rear defogger button again to shut the relay off, the relay will click. With the relay off, check to see if there is power from wire terminal 2 of the micro relay socket. There should be no power. If there is, go back and check wiring. Now hit the rear defogger button. The relay should click and you should have power from wire terminal 2 of the micro relay socket (about 12v). Hit the rear defogger button again, the relay will click and be off.

12) Temporarily connect the power wires from the heated mirrors to the wire on terminal 2 of the micro relay socket.

13) Press the rear defogger button. The relay will click.

14) Wait about 5 minutes, the mirrors should be pretty warm by now.

15) If the mirrors are warm, press the rear defogger button to shut everything off.

16) Splice the heated mirror power wires onto the wire on terminal 2 of the micro relay socket.

17) If everything is working properly, unplug everything and put everything back together. Hide and protect wires appropriately.

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
wow this is awesome. I've been trying to figure a way to do this myself.

Please post some pictures that would be so awesome and very helpful.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Can you guys see the pics now? That's wierd, I posted step by step pics. I can see them and I can also see them on my friends computer. I have uploaded the pictures to my album on this website and then posted them on this thread. That should work right?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
okay, so you can see pictures in steps 4 - 10? Those are the only steps that I had pictures for. I didn't think the steps after that needed pictures so I didn't take any. This was my first DIY, maybe I should have taken more.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Source of "High Current" Power

I read this over pretty carefully as I haven't invested in a helms manual yet. As I understand from above, #22 wire is the signal (low current) power to activate the relay. The G12 wire is the high current wire into the relay which on/off outputs the juice to the mirrors.

My questions are:
1)The G12 wire looks a little thin to be the source for "high current" for the mirrors. Why did you choose it?
2)Why didn't you tap the mirror heat wires right into the high current wire of the rear defroster and skip the relay all together? The result woud be the same - juice to the mirrors when the defroster is on. Is the defroster relay somewhere where it's tough to get to?
3) After reading the link for the turn signal mirror install, how come those mirrors only have 2 more wires? I'm thinking a minimum would be 3 more: turn signal, heat, and ground. Did your Hybrid mirrors have 3 more wires? Link to Mirror

·
Registered
40 Posts
If anyone has any additional information on this subject PLEASE POST . I am seriously considering this mod . From reading other posts,schematics, and whatever I can get my hands on , I have found that there is an open relay bay under the hood (in the fuse/relay box) for the relay you have installed under the dash . Is there a reason why you decided to use the relay in a different place/position ? Thanks in advance .

·
Registered
40 Posts
If anyone has any additional information on this subject PLEASE POST . I am seriously considering this mod . From reading other posts,schematics, and whatever I can get my hands on , I have found that there is an open relay bay under the hood (in the fuse/relay box) for the relay you have installed under the dash . Is there a reason why you decided to use the relay in a different place/position ? Thanks in advance .
Tested the empty relay bay at the under -hood fuse location .....no juice . Since I can now quit chasing the OEM dream I can concentrate on buying parts when the $ is rite . IF I find any additional info the original post does not touch on I will definitely post up .

·
Registered
155 Posts
I live in Florida and owned a 09 EXL before my '11 Si.. I loved my heated mirrors as it gets so wet outside in the mornings here.. Now my mirrors don't evaporate for a long time on the Si ... I was hoping there was a way to install the EXL/Hybrid heated mirrors on the Si.. This is good progress, thanks!

I wonder if you can swap out the button from the EXL - it also shows the mirrors as a heated source on the button.. Just a minor touch of detail but i'm meticulous like that.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
I live in Florida and owned a 09 EXL before my '11 Si.. I loved my heated mirrors as it gets so wet outside in the mornings here.. Now my mirrors don't evaporate for a long time on the Si ... I was hoping there was a way to install the EXL/Hybrid heated mirrors on the Si.. This is good progress, thanks!

I wonder if you can swap out the button from the EXL - it also shows the mirrors as a heated source on the button.. Just a minor touch of detail but i'm meticulous like that.
Can't help with the heated mirrors on a FA, but the rear defrost/mirror defrost button that's standard on EXL' s(comes as a part of a kit) can be bought from Honda. Part number: 79501-SNA-C01ZA. It was $28 when I got it but I'd be willing to bet it's gone up by now.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
130 Posts
Can't help with the heated mirrors on a FA, but the rear defrost/mirror defrost button that's standard on EXL' s(comes as a part of a kit) can be bought from Honda. Part number: 79501-SNA-C01ZA. It was $28 when I got it but I'd be willing to bet it's gone up by now.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
It's $45 now....

1 - 20 of 24 Posts