8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I just figured I'd show off the boot my girlfriend made for me! I was planning on purchasing one from Augerresources but I was looking at the materials, and remembered I had some leftover suede from the door panels, and after installing my cold cathode lights I was looking at the boot and figured, that would be really easy to do! So after some convincing I got my girlfriend to haul out the sewing machine and do it for me :D

Here are some pics, although it isn't perfect, you'd never be able to tell without looking closely.

There we go, tell me what you think! Personally I love it and so glad my girlfriend was able to save me $$ by doing this personally, I had the leftover material, and then it was just $4 for the nylon thread (Bought nylon thread specifically because it is much sturdier than cotton/polyester thread). Very cheap yet personalised mod!

P.s. Sorry about the car mess, thats leftover from wiring up my cold cathodes (which are on in the first two pictures).

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
is that the same fabric as your door panels? This would be a great idea to do when I finally get the chance to replace that fabric.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It is the same fabric, I had alot leftover and after looking at augerresources and how they use suede I figured hell my girlfriend knows how to sew, that would be easy!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It took my girlfriend an hour and a half, and that was with problems she was having with her sewing machine.

·
Registered
967 Posts
You invite peoples esp. your GF in to that filthy car? Shame on you!
What's up with the blue cathode in the footwell?

My wife would kill me if my ride looked like that.

Nice boot though.

·
Six eyes
5,010 Posts
Nice! Please ask your gf how she did the topstitching! I wanted to do the topstitching on my home-made boot, but couldn't figure out how to get it on the last seam since at that point it's cylindrical and no longer flat.

This is what it looks like without the topstitch (I added a panel for a total of 4):

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
J-Ro said:
Nice! Please ask your gf how she did the topstitching! I wanted to do the topstitching on my home-made boot, but couldn't figure out how to get it on the last seam since at that point it's cylindrical and no longer flat.

This is what it looks like without the topstitch (I added a panel for a total of 4):

By topstitching do you mean the two stitches on either side of where the panels are stitched together?

If so she just stitched it onto the panel before she put them all together. And then where it is all tied off is hidden because of how the boot fits into the knob and trim. We actually just based all the panels and everything off of the original boot, she used that to cut her panels and where to cut out pieces etc.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
moxom said:
You invite peoples esp. your GF in to that filthy car? Shame on you!
What's up with the blue cathode in the footwell?

My wife would kill me if my ride looked like that.

Nice boot though.
Yes, I know everyone that its a mess, but again left over from installing my cold cathodes (I had to take everything out of my armrest console, to hide the tools I was using to do the cold cathodes so that noone would see the tools and think hey this guy just made it easier for me to steal his car!).

And the cathode fell, and I lost the velcro that was holding it up, so I have to go buy some new stuff and make sure it is going to stick this time!

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Esoter1c said:
Yes, I know everyone that its a mess, but again left over from installing my cold cathodes (I had to take everything out of my armrest console, to hide the tools I was using to do the cold cathodes so that noone would see the tools and think hey this guy just made it easier for me to steal his car!).

And the cathode fell, and I lost the velcro that was holding it up, so I have to go buy some new stuff and make sure it is going to stick this time!
I had to drill into those plastic pieces and secure the cathodes with zipties because the velcro kept coming off. Its perfect now and they look great.

·
Six eyes
5,010 Posts
Esoter1c said:
By topstitching do you mean the two stitches on either side of where the panels are stitched together?

If so she just stitched it onto the panel before she put them all together. And then where it is all tied off is hidden because of how the boot fits into the knob and trim. We actually just based all the panels and everything off of the original boot, she used that to cut her panels and where to cut out pieces etc.
*Warning, potential blonde moment* You're right on the topstitch, but I don't understand how she could have done the topstitch first and then sewed the last seam? Alternatively, how do you do the last topstitch over the last seam (i.e. once the boot is made round)?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts