8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i know its been done before but i just wanted to make my own build thread about my k24 k20 build i will keep this updated asap when parts arrive

but heres the rundown i have a 06 si coupe

purchased 7/21/11 with 68,xxx on it for $12000 out the door
blew the stock k20 4/13/12 with 103,636

my mods were:
skunk2 pro-c coilovers
skunk2 alpha header
skunk2 megapower r 70mm catback
skunk2 stage 1 cams
injen cold air intake
hondata intake manifold gasket
hondata street tuned (tuned by my cousin and i)
couple other odds and ends cant think of at the moment

but i have my block (k24a2 picked up complete longblock with bent valves for $450 from a local)

parts list thats been ordered:
cp coated pistons for k24 block with k20 head 12.5:1
brian crower lightweight all motor rods
arp rod bolts
arp head studs
oem k20a2 oil pump
oem k20a2 baffle plate
oem k2a2 oil pan with gasket
skunk2 chain tensenor
oem timing chain and oil chain

will keep this thread updated with any new parts as they are ordered

any imput is appreciated please no flaming its my first thread

PICS:

when the motor blew
[/IMG]

·
Registered
971 Posts
Lose the skunk 2 tct. Oem is better. I have been running oem with no problems on skunk 2 stage 3 cams. If you do research the skunk 2 tct is no good. I had a hybrid one before my oem one and they were destroyed.

I'm all hopped up on Junk 2!!!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Lose the skunk 2 tct. Oem is better. I have been running oem with no problems on skunk 2 stage 3 cams. If you do research the skunk 2 tct is no good. I had a hybrid one before my oem one and they were destroyed.

lol i wont be running all skunk2 parts on this build i sold most of my s2 parts and thanks i will buy the hybrid tct instead

·
Registered
971 Posts
That's if u can get it lol hybrid has been out of stock forever! And I don't even know if hybrid fixed the problems with there tct either. That tct literally blew up in pieces in my motor :(

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's if u can get it lol hybrid has been out of stock forever! And I don't even know if hybrid fixed the problems with there tct either. That tct literally blew up in pieces in my motor :(

i just looked up on hybrid racings website the hybrid tct is out of stock until 9/29/12 i will do some research on others to find the right one for me because i will be running kelford stage3 cams in this build and im dishing out all this money i want this build reliable

·
Registered
971 Posts
Yeah oem is reliable. Jotechs blackwidow has been running on oem tensioner for 2 years already with no probs

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah oem is reliable. Jotechs blackwidow has been running on oem tensioner for 2 years already with no probs

I was considering getting the toda timing chain I've read good things about it but the only thing stopping me from getting it is the $300 price tag lol:eek:hsnap:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
im on the same boat as you. i'm just hoping my head are reusable.
Man after I got my k24a2 I got back to my garage and ripped that head off so fast it was redicioulous to see if it was good an boom the rod let the piston go at the top of the stroke so it only bent two valves I was so happy to see the head was in perfect shape minus valves of course

·
Registered
971 Posts
I was considering getting the toda timing chain I've read good things about it but the only thing stopping me from getting it is the $300 price tag lol:eek:hsnap:
Why pay 300 for toda when it's the exact same as an oem tensioner with a different internal spring? Plus oem is 40 bucks

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
577 Posts
Man after I got my k24a2 I got back to my garage and ripped that head off so fast it was redicioulous to see if it was good an boom the rod let the piston go at the top of the stroke so it only bent two valves I was so happy to see the head was in perfect shape minus valves of course
were you able to remove the head while the engine was in the engine bay? i never attempted that before..

·
Registered
971 Posts

·
Registered
886 Posts
Why pay 300 for toda when it's the exact same as an oem tensioner with a different internal spring? Plus oem is 40 bucks

There are reasons why we change the tensioner. I wouldn't feel too comfortable running an OEM tct on stage 3's without atleast buying a new tct every other oil change.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
There are reasons why we change the tensioner. I wouldn't feel too comfortable running an OEM tct on stage 3's without atleast buying a new tct every other oil change.
What tct would you recommend we already covered skunk 2 Is junk and hybrid is out of stock for a while....and also do you know what head studs I would run I'm am leaning towards k24 arp studs but idk if I use k24 ones or k20 (they will be arp just don't know which ones to order)

·
Registered
971 Posts
Iono everybody else I know be running oem tct with no probs. I plan on changing my tct out every 10k miles. Like I said Jotech has been running the oem tct on stage 3 for two years with no problems.

·
Registered
971 Posts
What tct would you recommend we already covered skunk 2 Is junk and hybrid is out of stock for a while....and also do you know what head studs I would run I'm am leaning towards k24 arp studs but idk if I use k24 ones or k20 (they will be arp just don't know which ones to order)
I would think you would use k20 studs because k20 head?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts