8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Vehicle info:
2008 Si coupe, 16K miles, only performance mod is a Takeda short ram intake. I live at sea level in southern California.

I've been mildly disappointed with this car's performance since picking it up. This tuner helped significantly. I adjusted the speed limiter, lowered VTEC engagement by 500 RPM, and loaded the engine performance tune.

Specifically, most notchiness in acceleration in the low gears is gone. Still present when the engine is cold in first gear, but lessened. VTEC engagement seems smoother.

They advertise a 9 ft-lb torque gain at 1900 RPM, and I believe it. This car doesn't idle that far below that, so it is definitely noticeable that low in the power band. This is my favorite "feature" of this tuner. This K20Z3 is peaky naturally, and this helps level it out in the lower, more often-used rpm ranges.

All in all, this unit made the car much more driveable. It didn't turn it into a roaring race beast, but the added low-end torque just makes launching and driving this car easier.

I've been watching the vitals closely since first installing. Operating temperature has not increased. No check engine lights whatsoever. 1st tank of gas yielded 23.4 mpg and tank 2 yielded 23.6 mpg. That is right in line with what I was getting before, but I have been driving more aggressively almost everywhere. Encouraging, especially with {somewhat} aggressive city driving in a car rated at 19mpg city.

The tuner was easy to install, even with the online update required. The instructions are in much-appreciated simple English. I'd suggest the Max Energy Sport to anyone with an Si. Low end torque gains and loss of notchy acceleration in lower gears are enough, but it does more than that. :thumb:

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Great review, but honestly, this is a much much less superior option to what we have available.

I'd recommend getting a refund, ordering FlashPro, where you will see much better gains and ability to properly tune your car.

FYI - simply lowering your VTEC point without aligning appropriate cam angle indexing isn't doing much for you.

·
Banned
6,259 Posts
Yeah you are probably disappointed because of the "tuning" method being used. I really would recommend a switch to flashpro.

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
Great review, but honestly, this is a much much less superior option to what we have available.

I'd recommend getting a refund, ordering FlashPro, where you will see much better gains and ability to properly tune your car.

FYI - simply lowering your VTEC point without aligning appropriate cam angle indexing isn't doing much for you.
:claps::claps:

Even a Cobb AP ($50 more than Hypertech) is a smarter buy.

The Maxenergy is way overpriced for the minimal features it has.

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
Prices from Corsport

Hondata FlashPro- 695
Cobb Accessport- 495
Hypertech energymax- 450

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Yes, thanks for the review, but to pay 66% of what FlashPro costs, just makes no sense to get what you really want. That's like banging some hot chick, but not busting a nut, I mean you gotta go all the way.

****, Im drunk.

OK going to bed now.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Premium Member
85 Posts

The optimal cam angle for the low speed cam and the high speed cam are completely different. Hypertech developed the maximum power for each cam profile separately. The crossover point when VTEC engages requires the cam timing to change from the optimal of one to the other, and takes a few hundred RPM to occur. Presetting the cam timing for the VTEC cam before that profile is engaged causes a loss in power because the cam timing is incorrect for the non-VTEC cam. This is a tradeoff that occurs, and cannot be overcome this way. Adjusting the VTEC engagement RPM does allow for the optimal power for both cam profiles with our tuning because the tuning for each cam profile was optimized well before and well after the VTEC engagement point.

Sean

·
Registered
11,043 Posts
^^ This reply shows you exactly why you should not buy this product, they have absolutely no clue how to tune this car.

Everyone knows that the low cam and high cam like different cam angles.

Know what else we know? How to completely get rid of the massive torque dip the stock tune has by advancing the cam angle on the low cam 1-200 rpms before vtec crossover thus making a smooth clean crossover with a cam already advanced and ready to hit 50 degrees.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I think Im going to look into this. Auto anything has a special right now for 10 percent of any purchase exceeding $150. That makes one of these units just 400 dollars. I doubt I can see any similar performance gains and features from another product for 400 dollars. Exhaust systems for our cars are 5-700 dollars themselves and require an install. Not to mention how easy this would be to remove and have no trace of it ever being there... (warranty concerns)

·
Banned
4,164 Posts
The optimal cam angle for the low speed cam and the high speed cam are completely different. Hypertech developed the maximum power for each cam profile separately. The crossover point when VTEC engages requires the cam timing to change from the optimal of one to the other, and takes a few hundred RPM to occur. Presetting the cam timing for the VTEC cam before that profile is engaged causes a loss in power because the cam timing is incorrect for the non-VTEC cam. This is a tradeoff that occurs, and cannot be overcome this way. Adjusting the VTEC engagement RPM does allow for the optimal power for both cam profiles with our tuning because the tuning for each cam profile was optimized well before and well after the VTEC engagement point.

Sean
wow i havent been so shocked in a long time..

how did they become a sponsor..

1 - 20 of 65 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.