8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While on my voyage to buying a used civic SI (2007 and up) I have had a few problems while test driving a few of them.

1. Mostly all of them feel very flimsy while i shift.

2. On two of them the CV joints sounded horrible.

3. Almost all of them have been lowered.

What these things tell me is that either a young kid had the car and "dogged it out" or the people that had it before and didnt know how to drive for sh**.

Is there any way I could request a honda dealer to open up the gearbox to check to see how damaged or undamaged the gears are?

What steps should I take while trying to make sure the car isn't used and abused?

Advice is appreciated.

·
Pillar of Objectivity
8,915 Posts
Given there are people who have third gear issues who can't even get their dealership to acknowledge the flaw in the transmission, and who charge to open up to see if there's even a problem, I would wager you won't be able to convince a dealer to do that.

Chances are they'll tell you it passed a rigorous inspection. New Si's feel fantastic to drive. When I got back in my well-maintained, well-driven Si after test driving a new 2009 Si sedan, I immediately felt dejected.

I just wonder if these cars aren't holding up well over time, even if they are driven cautiously.

The first step you should do is to find a car with minimal modification - stock preferably, including tint. Second, you should drive it and really work third gear and second gear. If it even gives you the SLIGHTEST oddity, axe the car.

Doing a Carfax might not be bad, but inquiring about the person who last owned the car and their reasons for selling it may not be a bad idea - you'll probably get lied to, but it'll be easy enough to spot the salesperson lying or not.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I would stop looking at dealerships and look at private party. That way you are meeting the previous owner and getting an idea of how they treated the car. Most of the time I would bet individuals selling have treated their car better an don't want to trade it in because it's worth more than the average used car on a dealership lot. That has been my experience on both ends.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Given there are people who have third gear issues who can't even get their dealership to acknowledge the flaw in the transmission, and who charge to open up to see if there's even a problem, I would wager you won't be able to convince a dealer to do that.

Chances are they'll tell you it passed a rigorous inspection. New Si's feel fantastic to drive. When I got back in my well-maintained, well-driven Si after test driving a new 2009 Si sedan, I immediately felt dejected.

I just wonder if these cars aren't holding up well over time, even if they are driven cautiously.

The first step you should do is to find a car with minimal modification - stock preferably, including tint. Second, you should drive it and really work third gear and second gear. If it even gives you the SLIGHTEST oddity, axe the car.

Doing a Carfax might not be bad, but inquiring about the person who last owned the car and their reasons for selling it may not be a bad idea - you'll probably get lied to, but it'll be easy enough to spot the salesperson lying or not.
Yeah I got lied to when a salesman told me the car owned by an older lady. When I did a full detail of the car I noticed the car have a greddy exhaust. LOL

Also, I test drove an 09' coupe and it felt completly different from the other SI's that ive been driving. I guess it might just be Miami that has a lot of the "street racing" type of people here?

Also, would anyone prefer buying an SI from a person on this website?

·
CHOO-CHOO!!!!!!
14,929 Posts
I bought a used 06 Si with 5500 miles on it, and except for the standard 3rd gear deal (which has been fixed under the TSB) the car has been golden.:thumb:

·
Registered
4,916 Posts

I will vouch for this opinion! The new 09 SI's are a complete dream to drive and I have not experienced any such problem that I have read plagued a lot of the older SI's. I would go the route of trying to buy from a private party because chances are whoever traded that SI in ran the s**t out of it and the dealer will tell you anything just to get you to buy it! Happy Hunting!
:thumb:

·
Registered
223 Posts
I got an 08 taffeta white sedan,4k miles,with your choice of H&R springs or stock that I'll sell ya.Never seen a track,hardly ever hit vtec(my son is always with me),I lowered it because I think any car looks ugly at the stock height.I'm from Miami,so I can deliver it for the right price.PM me if interested.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I bought a used Honda 2006 civic si with 18,000 miles on it, and right away i noticed 3rd gear wouldnt stick and i ground it a few times :( took it to honda and they replaced third gear set and syncro from 3rd to 4th and its seem to alleviate it

·
CHOO-CHOO!!!!!!
14,929 Posts
i bought mine used with 2k miles on it and it was my first stick shift and people have told me my clutch doesnt feel stock...
It because you have zombie flesh caught in the flywheel :giggle:

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
I have to agree on you on your #2 (CV Joints, mine sounds horrible when it's 10 degrees outside as it needs to be warm enough to not hear that clank-clank click noise when you do a 90 degree angle turn. As opening the gear box, they wont have the time to do it as they will try to have the car a quick sale. Thats why when you buy a used car, I look for Certified Used ones and warranty to back it up. I have been paying $0 for repairs if I didn't buy the car "Certified". Even if it's a brand new car, every car is made different.

·
Registered
223 Posts
My 08 doesn't make any weird noises even if it single digits outside,then again I don't move my car until it has atleast 2 or 3 bars on the temp gauge.My wifes 07 will make some creeks and noises when its really cold.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Good deals on used cars are out there, as expressed by many of our fellow members. There is a problem, however, with buying a used Si. It's the same problem that persists when buying a used sportbike (GSX-R, R1, CBR RR etc.). These vehicles are meant to have fun...which can, in turn, mean that they take a beating. Now, not everyone beats on their car; not every 26 year old, not every 18 year old. However, as a realist, I have to believe that the ratio of beat-on Si's to used Si's is much higher than that of used Buick Century's. You'll certainly have your work cut out for you in your quest for a quality used Si...but don't be discouraged...they are out there. Take the advice of your wise 8th memebers, they won't guide you down the wrong path.

I bought new because, well, prices have been reduced quite a bit. The interest rates on a new car are better than the rates offered for a used vehicle. The higher rate on a used car can eat up the savings on the purchase price. Thus, you could actually end up paying the same price (or reasonably close) for a used vehicle. It is no longer necessary to pay MSRP (or market adjusments) for these vehicles as it was when they were first released. For example, I purchased my new 09 Si Sedan for $19,577 (MSRP was $22,675) with an APR of 4.25%. For illustrative purposes, let's say I decided to finance the entire purchase price of the car for the entire 60 months at 4.25%. The interst total for 60 months would be $2188.19, which brings the total paid to $21,765.19. If I were to buy a used Si for say $17000.00 with a 60 month loan at 7.99% then the total interest would be $3677.04 which brings the total price of the used vehicle to $20,677.04.

Suddenly the almost $3000.00 savings for buying a used car is now less than $1100.00.
($21765.19 - $20,677.04 = $1088.15)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I got an 08 taffeta white sedan,4k miles,with your choice of H&R springs or stock that I'll sell ya.Never seen a track,hardly ever hit vtec(my son is always with me),I lowered it because I think any car looks ugly at the stock height.I'm from Miami,so I can deliver it for the right price.PM me if interested.
I would def be interested if it were a coupe. Im looking for a TW coupe, preferably completly stock (I know this is going to hard to find). I appreciate the offer though, and I agree the SI's NEED to be lowered.

·
CHOO-CHOO!!!!!!
14,929 Posts
Any with a perfomance mod probably have hit vtec more in a year than you ever will. I'm curious of how you can HEAR the CV joints like that.
That's not entirely true. I've got a good number of mods, and I'm willing to bet good money that I drive more conservatively than 85% of the 8th Civic community. Of course, with most people I'm going to assume that's not the case, but if there's one person like me, there have to be more out there.:thumb:

·
Registered
6,955 Posts
Yeah I got lied to when a salesman told me the car owned by an older lady.
Somewhat funny, late one night I stopped at a coffee house and saw an FA5 in the parking lot. I saw one younger guy and two elderly Asian women in the coffee shop. I stopped by the younger guy's table to ask him how he liked his Si. "Not mine" he says...

Later the two elderly Asian ladies get in the Si and drive off. I was poleaxed. ;)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.