8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, so I went out this morning and hopped in my civic. I start the car, release the e-brake and give it some gas ... nothing. It was like the e-brake was frozen in place. I gave it a little more gas and hear a big *SNAP* like the ice was breaking off and then I could move forward without any trouble. Is this normal? cuz it kind of freaked me out.

After i get moving from my driveway, I head to the highway. As I merge onto the highway and hit about 110km/h, my ride starts to shake unbelievably. It felt like I was driving 110km/h on a dirt road full of pot holes. I couldn't keep the steering wheel straight as it vibrated quickly back and fourth from left to right. I had no idea what was going on, so i pull over, get out and do a walk around my car. Nothing visibly wrong. I got back in and eased back onto the highway and kept my speed around 95km/h (Got behind a slow moving truck). After experiencing no shakes at 95km/h, i stepped it back up to above 100. When I reached around 110 again, same thing.

I can't take my car above 110 without experiencing the shaking, and there is no way that it is safe to drive with the shakes. I'm not sure what happened to cause this. 2 weeks ago i got snow tires, but have been able to drive at high speeds with them no problem. On Sunday I did get stuck in that snow storm and I had to take my car through some pretty big snow drifts ... not to mention that my street was ridiculously deep in snow. Im wondering if i did something on Sunday that could have caused this, but have no idea why the shaking happens at 110+ speeds.

Any thoughts on my shakes or e-brake freezing? I flew out of town this evening until friday morning, so I can't do anything about this problem except for worry about it, ha.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Never hit a curb. My snow tires are brand new and should have been balanced when honda installed them.

Is it possible that a tire defect could cause the problem? Its just weird because it only started doing this today

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Did you wash your car lately? Because I'm from winnipeg and washed mine the other day and when i drove it a day after the brake pads were frozen to the rotors and was shaky a bit til they broke free.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
since u live in Canada, the weather is extremely cold. wen u start ur car, let it run for 10 mins, then release the e-brake and drive.
Well, I keep my car in my garage, so when i start it up I move it outside and let it run ...

·
Registered
484 Posts
Sounds like you got snow in jambed up in your wheel hubs, just go get a carwash or let it sit in a heated garage, this would happen to me all the time when it snowed, ( i used to live in MN ) or you can, but i dont recomend, depress the brake and gas at the same time to heat your brakes up and melt it.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Did you wash your car lately? Because I'm from winnipeg and washed mine the other day and when i drove it a day after the brake pads were frozen to the rotors and was shaky a bit til they broke free.

Well, my entire under body was covered in snow until i pulled into my driveway, so its possible that the snow melted and froze onto the rotors ... I just want to make sure that the only thing i'm breaking is the ice

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sounds like the ice build up is a regular occurrence, so i feel better about that ... any other ideas about the shaking?

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Ya even when i know i have snow build up my parents they me use their heated garage or i bring it to the heated car wash and just let it sit inside ... helps big time

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
As a93and07si mentioned was there snow packed in around your rims? If you had to drive through snow in your drive way your rims could have gotten snow packed around them and that can throw the balance off bigtime.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Sounds like the ice build up is a regular occurrence, so i feel better about that ... any other ideas about the shaking?
the snow will cause the shaking too i did some ice racing on a lake by my house and after everyone i couldnt drive above 60mph cuz it was shaking so bad so id just drive up to the carwash and get it washed

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
the snow will cause the shaking too i did some ice racing on a lake by my house and after everyone i couldnt drive above 60mph cuz it was shaking so bad so id just drive up to the carwash and get it washed
Serious? wow, I never even thought about this, but i think that this could be the problem. I know I had some snow build up, so I'll take it to a car wash when I get home and hose it down good. I guess i gotta give more attention to my car in the winter months.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Serious? wow, I never even thought about this, but i think that this could be the problem. I know I had some snow build up, so I'll take it to a car wash when I get home and hose it down good. I guess i gotta give more attention to my car in the winter months.
yup, same thing would happen plowing too but that wasnt my truck so id just ride the brakes till the brakes got hot and melted the snow.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Update ... Took my car to a coin-op car wash, hosed it down and I'm back to smooth driving!

·
Scrodums
9,486 Posts
Too bad I didn't see this thread earlier. It was definitely snow causing an improper balance... I experienced this last year for the first time and it took me forever to figure this out. Went to the coin-op, turned my tires left and right, sprayed everything off, there was major ice build up on the axles, got those off... pretty much sprayed the whole underside of my car and as well as inside the wheels where snow might get caked. Better than new!

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
^ha, yeah, there was an unbelievable difference after I sprayed everything off. I'm just glad it wasn't anything serious :thumb:.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts