8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking around alot to try and find the best Audio/Video setup for my new '06 Si. I was wondering what other's have done, and I was looking for some opinions on my ideas.

First off, the center of the system.

The new Alpine IVA-W200, if it's round and shiny it'll play it. It'll fill in that 2-din hole nicely. I'm always wary of the motorized units, more **** to break. besides, I like the way it'll look like the factory navi unit kind of. Also I'm going to get the Bluetooth (for handsfree baby!) adapater.

http://www.alpine-usa.com/en/products/product.php?model=IVA-W200

Of course I need to get the dash panel kit, which seems to be popping up all over the place now.

Next, is the steering wheel control kit. Now I'm not entirely sure I'm going to need this, so it will be one of the last things I buy. I'm also not too thrilled about it using infrared. If anyone knows anything about the 2006 Alpine models and the factory Alpine Navi unit steering wheel controls, please post! I have a thought that maybe they might be compatible because they're both Alpine.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-5NVO6vnLxZ0/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=118900&I=127SWIX

Next, is the final piece i came across today. I would LOVE to add this, as it would look awesome and also help tremendously when I start to mod the car a little. But the problem is that it's pioneer, and my headunit is going to be Alpine. All it uses is a standard RGB Signal, and an additional line for the touchscreen. If the Alpine has an RGB Input (which I haven't been able to confirm) and a touchscreen input, then it should be fine. I may have to get an additional Ai-Bus adapter for this input perhaps?

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/product/detail/0,,2076_4025_192089326,00.html

What do you think folks?

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
$1100 for the Alpine unit
$200 for the bluetooth unit
$70 for the steering wheel controls (if i end up needing it)
$70 for the dash panel

$1440 total or so

oh and then another $400 for the Pioneer Vehicle Display thing

so at most about $1840

of course i'll look for better prices, those are all MSRP

·
Banned
7,824 Posts
You'll need that steering wheel control adapter. If you're talking about the one from Pac-Audio. The model is PAC-ALP, I believe. I got mine on ebay for $50 shipped.

And Geeeeeeeeee-zus!!!! $70 for the dash panel? Are you insane. Order it here. Who the hell pays that much for a dash panel? I guess if the demand is high, you can mark-up as much as you want and folks will buy it.

Anything else you need, lemme know.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
$70 was for the kit, shipped

Does anyone know if it's possible to just hardwire the damn steering wheel!? Like I said, I hate the idea of an IR interface....just seems crappy and jury rigged to me. Like a cheap workaround, not a real fix.

·
Registered
112 Posts
you need the new pac sxiw it the universial steeringwheel controller. it will program to any headunit that uses an ir remote. It requires mounting an small ir emiter in your center consol or headliner to aim at your new radion and then whatever button you press on the steering wheel it will emit an alpine frindly signal to your new alpine system. the install can be a *****.

·
Registered
17 Posts
That Alpine unit is sweet. I had a chance to play around with it a few days ago and really liked it. The only thing I want to see is how the new Ipod connect system they have works. On the previous apline units (one I have), they are a real pain in the ass. They made it really difficult to search through and find what you are looking for if you have alot on the ipod (about 5000 songs on mine). But from what I've heard they new Ipod direct link in the new units works differntly and is easier to use and navigate. I know it may be petty, but I use the hell out of my Ipod and I really hate the way the unit I have now works with it. As far as steering wheel controls go...if you're gonna spend that much on the setup in the first place, what's 50 extra bucks to keep all the bells and whistles in your car up and running.

·
Registered
17 Posts
ScorchedHands said:
$70 was for the kit, shipped

Does anyone know if it's possible to just hardwire the damn steering wheel!? Like I said, I hate the idea of an IR interface....just seems crappy and jury rigged to me. Like a cheap workaround, not a real fix.
Find an aftermarket radio that has inputs for OEM steering wheel controls maybe? Although now that more and more cars have the steering wheel controls, you would think aftermarket companies would start to incorporate that feature into their units....

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
ScorchedHands said:
$1100 for the Alpine unit
$200 for the bluetooth unit
$70 for the steering wheel controls (if i end up needing it)
$70 for the dash panel

$1440 total or so

oh and then another $400 for the Pioneer Vehicle Display thing

so at most about $1840

of course i'll look for better prices, those are all MSRP
I am going with the D310 w/H701 for my video and audio processing. Your setup sounds like it will be nice. I looked into the that W200 for the stock navi look (security +) but I can get the D310 for cheaper than I can the W200. Keep us updated. Let me know how that Pioneer processor works out for you.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts