8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I'm just posting to share my experience regarding my 09 SI all-wheel drive conversion.

Initially the car was to remain front-wheel drive with a fully built K24 with a K20z3 head. However with the power numbers in mind I decided to attempt to all wheel drive the car. Very new to the Forum so I have no idea how to post pictures, however most of the front end of the car is all marked up minus a few things. I'll post some pictures once I figure out how I'm of things I've done so far

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So before I get into what I've started with the all wheel drive system I will lay out my current engine build!
To start from top to bottom:
-Supertech 95 lb Seat pressure valve springs with titanium retainers a
-1 mm oversized stainless steel intake valves and 1 mm oversized inconel exhaust valves
-Drag cartel stage 3.2 camshaft
-ARP head studs
-Darton sleeved K24 block
-89 mm CP Pistons with thick-walled tool steel wrist pins
-Manley turbo Tuff Tri beam rods with ARP 625 plus Rod bolts
-K20a oil pump ported by myself
-Clockwork oil pan baffle with k20a oil pan
-Hybrid racing dual ratchet timing chain tensioner with timing chain guard

That's about it for the short block itself. For my fuel system I currently have:
-Soon to come 10 or 20 gallon fuel cell
-Radium dual pump surge tank modified to fit bigger pumps
-Twin walbro 525 fuel pumps in the the surge tank
- 10 fuel line feed with - 8 fuel line return
-K tuned fuel rail being fed on either side with Center return
-AEM knock off fuel pressure regulator
-Id2000 fuel injectors

That completes my fuel system not mentioning what fuel filters I'm using but they're there. For the induction side I'm still currently trying to figure out what turbo setup I'm planning to go with depending on how the all-wheel drive setup pans out. However I have a Skunk2 Ultra race manifold and a grams is 72 mm drive-by-wire throttle body.

The car now has some body and Brake modifications done to it. I have 2.75 inch fender flares on the car so I can run my XXR 526 17 by 10 rims with 275 40 17 tires. All around I think that should be a lot of rubber. For brakes I have Acura RL 4 piston front calipers with 13 in 350Z rotors, in the rear I had stock SI slotted and drilled rotors however with the CRV trailing arm and knuckle I'm going to have to get CRV rotors. Here's some pictures of those
IMG_20190913_104624_432.jpg
20190914_223628.jpg
20190911_155023.jpg

·
Registered
489 Posts
I'll admit some of the styling you have going on isn't necessarily my style but I look forward to how the AWD set up turns out

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'll admit some of the styling you have going on isn't necessarily my style but I look forward to how the AWD set up turns out
I hear you even though i personally like the form, its more for function haha. Dont want to get pulled over for 2 inchs of tire poking out

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So for the front end, I had to space the subframe to clear the power distribution box off the CRV all wheel drive tranny. With the subframe in the stock location the driveshaft flange touches the steering rack and turns the motor at an angle where it can't go down the exhaust tunnel.

So I decided to just give the car a "bodylift" now the power distribution box has lots of space between the body of the car and the steering rack
20191204_161051.jpg
20191204_161116.jpg
even though the power distribution box is currently resting on the steering rack I plan to use a rose jointed front mount to adjust the angle of the engine to where the power distribution box is straight down the exhaust tunnel.

Dropping the subframe 3 in comes with its own little issues, however I already have remedies for this that show promise. One of the main issues was the tie rod angle. Bump steer would be ridiculous with that much more angle so I'm going to have to create a custom arm on the knuckle so it can drop the three in to level everything out. I'll take a picture of those once they're made, I won't be doing anything super major until I confirm the system can work in the rear. Once I have the diff and axles connected to both rear wheels and everything seems it can be aligned properly I'll start welding stuff up solid

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
20191229_011529.jpg
now that's what my rear end looks like I just need them well the bracket on the trailing arm for that strut to bolt to and basically the rear is finished on the driver side

·
Registered
58 Posts
Very interesting build cant wait to see the outcome of the build wish you nothing but good luck.

Please do keep us updated with all things you do to this build.

Nice wheels hella poke without them flares.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks a lot man! And yes everything will be well-documented, I'm still kind of in the figuring out stuff as I see the problem stages hahaha. But things are moving smooth and I'll have all the information once the car is finished which I'm plan to have everything done before April

Yeah the wheels are super fat without the flares every cop in Toronto would bother me

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So the girlfriend got back from kenya yesterday bring a surprising gift
20200108_193422.jpg
this is a viscous coupling from a 04 landrover freelander. 300 cad in great condition! This is gonna give me the "slippage" i need for difference in frwh and rwh speeds. And from what i seen holds enough torque to spin the rear wheels under a good launch

1 - 13 of 13 Posts