8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Bought a 06 SI for the wife after seeing it at the St Pete Indy Car race, it looked great on display and we went to the dealer and ordered one. My wife loves the car and drives the tires off of it. Its been perfect and it still looks like new. We only have 33,000 miles but its been a pleasure :vtec:

The only thing that was off is a 1 inch gap between the trunk and the rear taillight. The car has always looked funny from the rear. Did Honda just have a problem stamping out trunks that were too small? The gap on the right is bigger than the gap on the left. It just looks like a mistake? I asumed it was a problem with the first year cars? No big deal, just a little character.

I'm just asking almost as a trivia question? Did they ever fix this? If so what year? Or does everyone have a bigger gap on one side than the other?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Need pix.
Good idea. I've always been able to see part of the black rubber stopper
just below the corner of the taillight on the right side.

Left side gap looks pretty clean.

Right side looks like they cut the sheet metal
too small to fill the complete width of the trunk bay?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Thats weird lol. I think this guy said he bought the car new, right? I have an 06 as well and my car doesn't look anything like that. Either got in an accident or car wasn't built correctly (most likely not the case).

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
That does look odd.
How's the alignment from the tail lights to the rear window on each side? Are the gaps even? Is the trunk lid flush with the fender just above the tail lights?
That's what so odd. The gaps from the tail light to rear window are perfectly even. And the trunk lid is flush with the fender at the bottom. All the gaps are correct except the one in the photo. I joked with the guy at the dealer that if we tried to move it left or right, we had no room, as it fits just perfect everywhere else.

I'm convinced they just chopped off to much metal on that one side (while stamping these out in the first year?) Or is there a story behind this? I've seen other early cars that looked exactly the same.

The car is 99.9 perfect so it doesn't bother me. But I thought I'd ask you guys to see if there is a story behind this?

·
Registered
10,265 Posts
Got it new from the dealer with something like 8 miles on it.

So I agree it looks like an accident but its not. I've seen others 06's that looked the same.
well thats good. i had a black 07. hard to see things like this on black if youre not looking for it :D

·
Registered
5,428 Posts
Just looks like it might not have been gapped right from the factory. If you think your handy you can try to fix it yourself (not very hard) or just take it to the dealer.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
I would try to loosen the bumper bolt(s) on the right side inboard of the tail lights and try to close the gap there. It looks light the tail light is closer to the trunk lid than the bumper.

Thanks guys... I wanted to collect some ideas and then take it to the dealer next time I need an oil change, and see if there is a possible fix?

When I bought the car new, they didn't seem to know what to do. I had since forgotten about it. But the car looks really nice after a new wax, and it got me thinking that maybe others had experience this?

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
from someone who's taken off his hood several times, I know for sure the tiniest margin can make it align crooked. I don't know if the trunk is the same, but yeah, I'd try to first take it to honda to see if they'll do it and if they won't or you'd rather not deal with the runaround, try unbolting the trunk and see if you can slide it just a tad and rebolt it down. Might be tricky and frustrating but that'd be my best bet.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
from someone who's taken off his hood several times, I know for sure the tiniest margin can make it align crooked. I don't know if the trunk is the same, but yeah, I'd try to first take it to honda to see if they'll do it and if they won't or you'd rather not deal with the runaround, try unbolting the trunk and see if you can slide it just a tad and rebolt it down. Might be tricky and frustrating but that'd be my best bet.
Thanks

·
Registered
10,259 Posts
to the two above me... that's easy to say now... when you're purchasing a car, it's little things like that which can easily be overlooked, even when you feel you are inspecting the car very well.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts