8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks, it doesnt have the navi and it came out to around $18,400. Does anyone know where i can get some floor mats?

·
Acorns!
17,760 Posts
rex said:
thanks, it doesnt have the navi and it came out to around $18,400. Does anyone know where i can get some floor mats?
http://www.hondafloormats.com/civiccoupe/index.htm

call the # at the top of the screen - OR - look on the right hand side of each forum page. College Hills Honda.com. If you call them, they should be able to help you out - they own both sites. The internet manager is a great guy - tell him you got the info from here - he'll maybe cut you a deal.

you have the first coupe on the site that I'm aware of - Sweet man.

What questions do you have about driving stick? Are you just learning how to drive a manual or? Best advice- Don't drive the car hard for a while. Break the car in slowly. No really high revving or really hard driving on the clutch during breakin. It should last you a long time if you treat the car well to begin with. Congrats on the new car! :thumb:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Im just learning to drive a manual and can get around but am not sure on a few things
1) Should I park the car in a gear?
2) Is it necessary to downshift into first at all?
3) And if im just learning and making a few bad shifts will it affect the longterm health of my car?

Ill call the floor mats guy tommorow
Thanks, Rex

·
Acorns!
17,760 Posts
rex said:
Im just learning to drive a manual and can get around but am not sure on a few things
3) And if im just learning and making a few bad shifts will it affect the longterm health of my car?

Thanks, Rex

1- yeah, put it into gear, and then pull the emergency brake.

2- Downshift to first.... when slowing down? I'm not sure I understand what you're asking. It's better to use your brakes to slow you down as opposed to your transmission/clutch. The brakes are much cheaper to replace than your clutch or a transmission. Use your brakes when you're slowing down - don't downshift and use the motor to slow down.

3- You'll be ok. Just try not to ride with your foot resting on the clutch while driving or anything. Obviously try not to grind any gears, and you'll be all good.

·
Registered
244 Posts
rex said:

Thanks, Rex
okay ive driven a stick for the past 4 years and here are my answers
1) it's not necessary if you are parking your car on a level surface and me personally i never put it in gear cuz sometimes you forget and let of the clutch before you kill the motor.
2) you always start moving off of 1st gear unless the car is in motion, and dont engine brake it's pointless and wastes your clutch, brakes are much cheaper save the clutch, and btw you never ever down shift into 1st while the car is moving there's no point 1st gear is just to get the car in motion.
3)depends how bad are the shifts, it might fvck up your synchros and the gears themselves but civic gearboxes are pretty good if it comes to that.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Nice car

Answers to questions.
1.) Dont use the transmission to hold the car in place. The e-brake should be sufficient. Using parking in gear will actually put a train on the tranny if you on en even surfaces.
2.) Start in first gear. Bogging the motor is worse than high revving
3.) Use the brakes, not the transmission to slow you down Like 02boostlessciv said. Brakes are meant to slow you down. The tranny allows you to speed up.

4.) Alos, I see this alot, don't use the clutch to rock you back and forth. Like letting the clutch out until you start to move forward and then push it back in to roll backward.....It just wears the clutch down.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Just so you guys know... the manual even says that you can use the engine as extra braking, and you should... but not for coming up to a stop sign or whatever unless you think you may need to accelerate.

I see way too many kids downshifting to come up to stop lights, mostly to hear their way too loud exhausts I guess, but downshifting is either for engine braking, or to get into a better RPM range.

Engine braking is for controlling speed going down hills.

Regarding downshifting to 1st gear: Hardly ever. The only time you are going to want to do this is if you are going pretty slow and the RPMs would be very low in 2nd (like under 1200).

My tip for a new manual driver is to not think you know it all after a short time, and don't listen to fast and furious tards who tell you how to drive. Sooner or later you will learn how to drive the car without making it buck like crazy, or rev up too much. Then if you want to learn how to drive it a bit faster I suggest you learn about how a clutch actually works, and what you are actually doing INSIDE the transmission when you move the shifter. Then you can learn about things like rev matching.

·
Premium Member
7,195 Posts
rex said:

Thanks, Rex
1) You should ALWAYS put the car in gear when parked(engine off of course) and E-Brake up!! Unless you want sombody moving your car.
2) I would not down shift through gears when coming to a stop,unless I was racing.
3) If you can't find'em.... grind'em
Oh yeah and don't ride the cluch. Do not press it in until you are ready to put the car in gear. I noticed when driving a 2006 MT civic I didnt even need to press the cluch in when shifting to a higher gear(this doesn't work when downshifting).
It called quick shifting.

·
Registered
106 Posts
~racnjsn04~ said:
I noticed when driving a 2006 MT civic I didnt even need to press the cluch in when shifting to a higher gear(this doesn't work when downshifting).
It called quick shifting.
This is NOT a good idea at all. Yep you sure can change gears without the clutch, even downshift by matching revs but it puts SO much stress on the internals that you will not want to do it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanks for all the help guys, but i have one more question

When im pulling out of my driveway in reverse i just let off the clutch enough to get it moving because when I let it all the way out it goes to fast. Does this put wear on the clutch or is it bad at all?

·
Registered
111 Posts
To park in gear, or not.....

I've heard mixed opinions here, and I have just never asked anyone else before....but is it best to always put the car in gear (manual transmission) and use the e-brake when parking? I was taught to do so, especially on hills, but I saw where someone had said not to do this. It's such a habit that I even always use the e-brake on auto transmission cars.

What does everyone think?

·
Premium Member
7,195 Posts
shoptb said:
I've heard mixed opinions here, and I have just never asked anyone else before....but is it best to always put the car in gear (manual transmission) and use the e-brake when parking? I was taught to do so, especially on hills, but I saw where someone had said not to do this. It's such a habit that I even always use the e-brake on auto transmission cars.

What does everyone think?
I think were on the same page shoptb. If I didn't put my car in gear when I parked it at home it would be through my house! :SHOCKED: That would suck a totaled house and a totaled car. :banghead:

·
Registered
1 Posts
how to use the brakes and clutch to slow down?

I just go my '06 civic coupe ex (silver) and learning how to drive a manual trany. I’ve learnd how to start off and upshift. My only problem is with stopping and slowing down. I would like to know if it is always necessary to press the clutch first before pressing the brakes when you want to slow down (for example, if you are driving at 65mph and you want to slow down to 50mph quickly, can you just press the brakes to slow you down withouth pressing the cluth?) Another question is how to come to a stop quickly from say 50mph to a full stop (panic stop)? Do you just use the brakes to slow you down and then press the clutch just before stopping? or do you press the clutch first and then the brakes until coming to a complete stop?

·
Premium Member
7,195 Posts
doru31 said:
I just go my '06 civic coupe ex (silver) and learning how to drive a manual trany. I’ve learnd how to start off and upshift. My only problem is with stopping and slowing down. I would like to know if it is always necessary to press the clutch first before pressing the brakes when you want to slow down (for example, if you are driving at 65mph and you want to slow down to 50mph quickly, can you just press the brakes to slow you down withouth pressing the cluth?) Another question is how to come to a stop quickly from say 50mph to a full stop (panic stop)? Do you just use the brakes to slow you down and then press the clutch just before stopping? or do you press the clutch first and then the brakes until coming to a complete stop?
Just use the brakes to slow you down and then press the clutch just before stopping.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts