8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you were to buy a either a Mustang V6 or a 06 Civic Si, what would you get?

The Mustang has almost the same HP (210 i believe) and Civic has (200). Honda has a greater reputation than Ford but other than that. Would you get better performance from Si or Mustang?

·
Acorns!
17,760 Posts
I think you'd have to elaborate on "performance".

What are you wanting to do with the car? Run it hard in the corners, auto x, 1/4 mile, all around etc.

I think it would depend on what you wanted to really do with the car. Most people on here will probably say Honda though.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well, i want to add parts to the car to make it faster. Such as Cold Air Intake, Exhaust, headers...etc.

I don't know much about a V6 engine. I know that each, listed above, would give about 20-30 HP more on an 05 current Civic.

Would there be a bigger gain in HP & Torque on a V6 Engine (on the 'stang) than a iVTEC DOHC engine on an Si?

·
Registered
287 Posts
Civic jsut becuase of an weight diffrence. 200hp is pretty crappy for a 4.0 V6, especially when there is a engine with the same hp, but half the displacement.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
lets say i tune the ECU. Would I be able to tweak out more HP w/ a v6 or a i4 like the civic?

·
Acorns!
17,760 Posts
there is no replacement for displacement. A bigger engine will always be able to get lower 1/4 times with enough work to the block/tranny etc.

And I don't know who told you that you can get 20-30HP from an intake, or headers, or even an exhuast but it won't happen.

In reality the hp/tq just usually shifts up the RPM scale. With just an intake - you might gain 5hp/tq. But you will lose power down low - and make some up high in the rpm range. Usuaully adding header/exhaust/intake - might TOTALLY gain you 20-30 hp and that's being nice. I don't even think you would get those type of gains to the wheels.

·
Registered
315 Posts
go honda - you'll be happier I think in the long run. Especially the value of the car down the road. The honda will keep it's value more than the mustang will.

·
ID10T
445 Posts
Stock for stock I'd take the Honda. It will be cheaper to mod the Mustang in the end.

On a side note, I saw a turbo V6 Mustang at the track last Friday. It ran in the 12s. It was some kind of project car for a company.

·
Acorns!
17,760 Posts
I just saw a guys post on clubrsx. - obviously the rsx-s k20z engine (new SI is k20z3) - supercharged at 11psi (full interrior). He ran 12.844 @ 108 mph. Stock internals and all. So for probably $3-4k - he's running in the 12's on stock tires. Remember - this is FWD people.

Obviously the ford has a leg up on the rwd aspect.

I've seen quite a few rsx's running 12's all day without much done. Hondata reflash of the ecu and turbo/exhaust. That's pretty impressive to run 12's for a car in the low 20's. I'm not sure what it would cost to boost up a mustang to similar #s.

And the only other thing we really don't know yet is the weight of the new SI. We'll see shortly.

·
Registered
244 Posts
with current gas prices civic > mustang **** 3.20/ gallon in chicago fVck that i'll drive a 3 cylinder geo before i drive a mustang and worst comes to worst i'll buy myself turbo shoes LOL

·
Registered
21,304 Posts
webby said:
And the only other thing we really don't know yet is the weight of the new SI. We'll see shortly.

The Road and Track produced Speed magazine Sept/Oct 2005 issue claims the curb weight is 2877 lbs.

·
Registered
122 Posts
02boostlessVIC said:
fVck that i'll drive a 3 cylinder geo before i drive a mustang
first thing i thought of too!

2fast4u2 said:
The Road and Track produced Speed magazine Sept/Oct 2005 issue claims the curb weight is 2877 lbs.
I read that too.

Hey, same subject kinda, What kind of "weight-loss" do you achieve when gutting a car? (ex. backseat removal and more) oh, and do you think the loss of weight vs. gain in drivability/speed is worth the effort, if you're not racing...daily driver car?

·
Acorns!
17,760 Posts
FutureSiOwner said:
I read that too.

Hey, same subject kinda, What kind of "weight-loss" do you achieve when gutting a car? (ex. backseat removal and more) oh, and do you think the loss of weight vs. gain in drivability/speed is worth the effort, if you're not racing...daily driver car?
I seem to remember 7thgen owners saying they could gut about 200lbs from the car. All trim pieces in the back, spare tire, rear seat, carpeting out of the trunk and back, door panels, speakers out of the doors. Basically to the metal in most of the car. They said they did notice a difference, but we're not talking major. 1/4 mile times might drop 2 tenths of a second, but you sacrifice creature comforts.

He said it was noticibly noisier in the car once he removed all that stuff too. Road noise was worse from all of the carpeting etc removed.

I'd keep the stuff in the car if it's a daily driver

·
Registered
244 Posts
webby said:
I seem to remember 7thgen owners saying they could gut about 200lbs from the car. All trim pieces in the back, spare tire, rear seat, carpeting out of the trunk and back, door panels, speakers out of the doors. Basically to the metal in most of the car. They said they did notice a difference, but we're not talking major. 1/4 mile times might drop 2 tenths of a second, but you sacrifice creature comforts.

He said it was noticibly noisier in the car once he removed all that stuff too. Road noise was worse from all of the carpeting etc removed.

I'd keep the stuff in the car if it's a daily driver
don't forget of loosing that beer belly :D

·
Acorns!
17,760 Posts
^^ true. If you weigh in at 420lbs yourself - you might want to look in the mirror. Obviously any weight you can cut off yourself will help your times slightly, if you want to be technical.

Obviously you don't see a lot of horse jockeys that have a body type of pro wrestlers if you catch my drift.

·
Registered
122 Posts
haha no I don't have that problem, no beer belly here...
(insert tshirt slogan "it's my gas tank for my sex machine" comment here)

But about the road noise, definitely not going to gut it then...thanks for the input!

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
The mustang is a pretty car, but isn't about engineering. The SI combines racing technology and the love of spaces from the Japanese. The Mustang simply looks and sounds good...but for the displacement and mpg, stands still. If you compare the weight to power ratios of both the cars, the honda wins. If you compare mpg, the honda wins. If you compare interior noise, functionality, usability...on and on...HONDA WINS.

why is this question even on an Si forum? Who would say "ya 'stangs kick ass any old day"?

Want a clencher? The Ford CEO eats babies for lunch. Will you buy a Ford now? ;)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts