8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well the big day finally came...I am buying a car...I was pretty set on getting the Si for quite a bit...until I step into ford dealer for fun last monday...Realising i can get 07 Mustang GT for slightly more then the civic...now i suddenly have the change of heart....I no longer know what to buy...It got even worst when i test drove it on thrusday...I mean i love the way Si handles....but the Mustang was completely different animal...And knowing that my time in the US will probably be the only time i will ever be able (and young/crazy, enough) to buy it...I really am having a change of heart....

Then reality kicks in....If I buy the mustang with side airbag and all i am going sink...It will strech my wallet to the limit...Then there is the gas milage...I now really wonder...what should i get....

I mean Civic Si is a great car...but This generation mustang is one of those car i can see myself keeping for the rest of my life, while the civic just emm...I don't know if its worth keeping or not....Is a great car but it just lack something....

All in all....should i risk sinking myself into finacial trouble for a car?

basiclly should i listen to my heart? or listen to my brain?

I love both car...but the mustang just have something to it....

·
Registered
1 Posts
dude the civic is much better--use the extra cash for performance--civic with mods (turbo!) can run all over a mustang gt--plus the si is just plain sex on wheels

·
Registered
13,281 Posts
I would say get the GT without the side airbags and hope for the best. I was looking at an 06 GT too but at the time, i couldn't find one for under 27 and i had my heart set on the Si. I think the Si is a great song and the GT is that guilty pleasure song you don't tell anyone about. The GT will cost even more in the long run with gas. Your first instinct is right 90% of the time.

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
if you get the GT, please get it with side airbags, side impacts of the same speed are often much deadlier than frontal impacts because of how little there is between you and the approaching car. No safety feature should be considered optional IMO, especially with all those people on their cell phones driving SUVs.

The GT may be more fun, but you need to see if you can deal with:

1 - the higher initial cost
2 - the gas milage
3 - the insurance (more power, probably higher insurance)
4 - resale
5 - Chuck Norris doesn't like the GT

Now, if you can afford all those, and this is your only chance for american muscle it may be worth going for it, although angering Chuck Norris can be dangerous.

btw, did you think about a used Mustang GT or GTO?

·
Registered
139 Posts
fairladyz_gt-r said:
basiclly should i listen to my heart? or listen to my brain?
When it comes down to money, you should use your brain. Which ever option is the smartest and most beneficial one (and I think you know which). Your indecision right now is caused by your "heart". A consumer car, which lose value very quickly compared to other things that people invest in, is not worth the risk of financial trouble.

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
11,200 Posts
alpha said:
When it comes down to money, you should use your brain. Which ever option is the smartest and most beneficial one (and I think you know which). Your indecision right now is caused by your "heart". A consumer car, which lose value very quickly compared to other things that people invest in, is not worth the risk of financial trouble.

Good luck.
bingo!!

·
Premium Member
11,200 Posts
after reading other posts I will be the only rational person here other then the brief excellent post I said bingo for.
see what car has higher insurance..I know used mustang GT's can be had for the price of an SI with less then 20,000 miles. However these are the bare bones version and lack the goodies. The mustang GT is a better car for performance mods and holds its value extremely well just like a civic.

However as someone else posted..use your head. The mustang GT is more expensive. if you can afford the up keep get the mustang GT. If you cant get a civic SI. Simple and straight forward...

·
Registered
11,889 Posts
Si Gas Mileage
Si tachy and speedo.... even GT people will keep staring at ur tachy and speedo while u drive past them
Si = lighter...more agile
Si = Vtec.......but its almost a normal civic b4 it... hence u get 2 cars instead of 1.
Si = 8K Rpms
Si = natural sound..... GTs sound like harley wannabes.
Si = Civic
GT = a ford.....
Si = reliability
GT = aaa not GM still a reliability issue.... thanks to MOD DENTEr for correcting me on this.
Si = Sport Injected

·
Premium Member
141,752 Posts
Please stop the debate about racist terms.. plus we don't have to go hog wild with whoring about a double post.

Again, people if there is a problem, use the "report bad post" button rather than starting crap over it.

To the OP.. what would happen if you fell short of being able to pay for it one month? Don't stretch your finances to the absolute breaking point just yet.. if you absolutely have to have one, save up for a biggest down payment until you're not going to even have a dollar to fill the thing up for that trip to the corner store and back.

@ nayilsi

The gauges on the Mustang are actually pretty tastefully done.. A Mustang GT does not sound like a harley wannabe.. I personally think V8s with a nice exhaust sound very sexy.. why the dislike towards another enthusiast's type of car? I'm not advocating it over the Si, hell I own an Si, not a Mustang, but to dismiss it just because it's not an Si is ridiculous...

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
try and negotiate a GT for 22~23K before taxes and fees. make sure you get the manual if you do. also check insurance for it beforehand... it should be maybe a hundred or so more than the Si for every 6 months. keep in mind you will be paying for more gas, but the GT takes 87 and in fact that grade is preferred. you get nice pirelli all seasons with it also. if the GT has been sitting on the lot it will be easy to negotiate that deal. check all the fees. i also recommend 3m paint protection, whether you get the Si or the GT, as they have very similar paint jobs. whatever you get... check total cost of ownership. good luck to you on your purchase. both are good cars; get what appeals to you... but don't expect old school lexus quality from either... the quality should be good on both regardless, but a bit better for the honda.

·
Premium Member
141,752 Posts
MBK said:
try and negotiate a GT for 22~23K before taxes and fees. make sure you get the manual if you do. also check insurance for it beforehand... it should be maybe a hundred or so more than the Si for every 6 months. keep in mind you will be paying for more gas, but the GT takes 87 and in fact that grade is preferred. you get nice pirelli all seasons with it also. if the GT has been sitting on the lot it will be easy to negotiate that deal. check all the fees. i also recommend 3m paint protection, whether you get the Si or the GT, as they have very similar paint jobs. whatever you get... check total cost of ownership. good luck to you on your purchase. both are good cars; get what appeals to you... but don't expect old school lexus quality from either... the quality should be good on both regardless, but a bit better for the honda.
thank you for the intelligent reply, good stuff man..

this exactly the kind of insight we're looking for here!

:wavey:

·
Registered
11,889 Posts
dentrecords said:
Please stop the debate about racist terms.. plus we don't have to go hog wild with whoring about a double post.

@ nayilsi

The gauges on the Mustang are actually pretty tastefully done.. A Mustang GT does not sound like a harley wannabe.. I personally think V8s with a nice exhaust sound very sexy.. why the dislike towards another enthusiast's type of car? I'm not advocating it over the Si, hell I own an Si, not a Mustang, but to dismiss it just because it's not an Si is ridiculous...
u r right...i am an si nut......

i did get most of my points right though.

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
I dont have a GT but I do have a 07 base model Mustang and I hate the gauges they are hard to see, but that is my only complant (except that I didnt get a GT). I would get the car that makes finacial sense for you. There is nothing like missing a car payment cause you dont have the money. Just make sure that you can afford what ever you end up getting.

·
Registered
317 Posts
With the gas prices so high and the future prices even higher ,I wonder why the Auto manufacturers are still making big gas guzzlers unless there are people who still want them and don't care about the cost of gas.
Now you should ask yourself if you are one of those who don't mind to pay to gas up a V8 ,then get the car that tickles your fancy,but if you have doubts then wait,don't even buy the SI yet,just have patience,weigh the situation with less emotion ,don't rush it,that's my advice.

·
Banned
1,981 Posts
distrbd said:
With the gas prices so high and the future prices even higher ,I wonder why the Auto manufacturers are still making big gas guzzlers unless there are people who still want them and don't care about the cost of gas.
Now you should ask yourself if you are one of those who don't mind to pay to gas up a V8 ,then get the car that tickles your fancy,but if you have doubts then wait,don't even buy the SI yet,just have patience,weigh the situation with less emotion ,don't rush it,that's my advice.
lol dont listen to him he doesnt want you to own a car!

1 - 20 of 85 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.