8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know what cams they put into the RR to achieve the 240bhp? What tuning does the Mugen RR use to utilize the new cams?

·
Registered
4,442 Posts
^ nope. i think its the same K20a but like stated above with better cams and factory tuning. High Rev limiter kinda like the JDM Dc5 but more amped up. N I HIGHLY doubt any of these parts are available to the public as only like 300 of them were made. I would look more into the tuning done to the FD2 n DC5 from japan as those parts would be easier to obtain.

·
Premium Member
2,042 Posts
I don't know about the RR about the spoon civic uses ITR cams and s2000 pistons, as well as a re-tune to get 240 hp...

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
do you know if the cams were intake only? this is something i'm definately interested in. jdm fa2 CTR cams are available but i wanna know what lays down the power. we used to pop in jdm ek9 ctr intake cams into our b18c's for easy power gains. wonder if this is the same for our k20z3???

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
To clear up a misconception some people might be having..

The Type R has a different motor(k20a) than the Si(k20z3) and the RR(k20a) has the same motor as the Type R(k20a).

·
Premium Member
10,300 Posts
You can still use the cams. The motor itself is the same. With the K20a it's the computer, cams and pistons that are different from the K20z3. And the lack of a MAF meter, easier to tune. You will see gains if you use the cams even without tuning. But you will obviously see more if tuning is available

·
Premium Member
2,042 Posts
do you know if the cams were intake only? this is something i'm definately interested in. jdm fa2 CTR cams are available but i wanna know what lays down the power. we used to pop in jdm ek9 ctr intake cams into our b18c's for easy power gains. wonder if this is the same for our k20z3???
no its both cams, and yes they are interchangeable amongst k's

·
Registered
273 Posts
not sure wat cams they use bt i found this

Dubbed the Honda Civic Mugen RR, this front-engine, front-drive sedan will gain 15 more horses over the standard Type R for a total of 240 and will lose 22 pounds, bringing its weight down to 2733 pounds, according to Mugen. The power gains stem from a freer-flowing dual-exhaust setup, a ram-air intake system, and a revised camshaft profile. Mugen also has retuned the suspension; the brakes have been upgraded with a firmer hydraulic line, sport pads, and slotted rotors; and new wheels have been fitted with super-sticky Bridgestone Potenza RE070 RR tires. full article at
Mugen-ized Honda Civic Type R coming to Japanese market | Japan Blog at Motor Trend

·
Registered
13,283 Posts
I think that Xfactor said that the 05-06 TSX cams had the most lift and longest duration out of all the K motors.

·
Registered
517 Posts
it was related by xfactorwrx and hondata that the 06+ tsx cams had higher lift for the exhaust high cams but the same specs for the intake cams as the rsx type r. im not really sure what the RR has in terms of cams, it maybe a whole new set, if not, maybe tsx or type r.

The type r cams have basically the same cams but the exhaust cam on the type r has a little higher lift. And I think that the intake cam has a slightly higher lift on the Vtec lobes on the type r as well.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts