1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is the link:

http://www.kingmotorsports.com/category.aspx?cat=56

:waiting:

So who thinks that it is a worth while upgrade. Lets keep in mind that it is designed with the Type-R in mind. That means a different manifold and possibly TB. Even a different flowing engine. It is also quite expensive. AND it is in a sense, a form of RAM air system.

Now...having built many Honda's for over 6 years now...many of which for full blown race car based intentions...MOST of the time a ram air application is the most productive. :coffee: READ THIS NEXT PART VERY CAREFULLY! THIS IS NOT ABOUT THE DIFFERENCES BETWEEN CAI AND RAM! However i will go onto a slight tangent and mention that in a N/A application a ITB set up is a form of RAM and in my experience the most productive....provided the engine could handle it.

One quick example is the spoon race car...pick any. It doesn't matter. But lets make it easy for those that have a gerbal in the head that doesn't like to run.
The DC5 Integra Type-r by www.opakracing.com, is using a what looks to be nothing more that the stock air box. It is actually completely bored or ported...in english the small fins inside the box are removed. A dremal is the usual use. Now...it is then using a more free flowing filter. One of a high C.F.M. rating. The the rating of a filter will change based on the application and the way it is being used. Now comes in amazing secret that sooooo many JDM and other enthusiasts don't know. It removes all of the extra sound deadning boxes and tubes and uses one as straight as possible custom tube to land right behind where the fog light is located and the small plastic panel is removed. There is now a direct path for inlet air to rush into. Using the velocity of the vehicle and the natural course of air(which i will not divulge into here), it then rushes up the new tube and the air box where a highly flowing filter and box awaits it.

:iorun:

Now for a quick break......la la la...la la la...la laa la laaa laaaaaa...

ok.

The following is a direct quote from SPOON. "Upon full opening of the throttle, a huge volume of air is drawn in at high speeds. Meanwhile, when the throttle is closed, an inertial force acts and air is compressed at the instant just prior to full closing. When the accelerator is subsequently depressed, the sealed cleaner box is subjected to a more intense vacuum as a result of the reaction to compression. The efficiency of replenishment is increased a result of this action, and accordingly, the air-intake system of the Honda N/A is both extremely ingenious and highly necessary." Keeping this in mind, as the beautiful air (unless you are here in L.A.) comes rushing up the tube and into the smooth intake box it is kept cool. Why? Because the stock intake tubing is insulated and protects from heat. No not only is it coming in at a higher velocity (which is a very good thing), it is cooler then air in the engine bay, stored in a location for every time you hit the throttle, filtered through a very good filter(a foam one), it is one of the most efficient and effective systems to use.
It is around a C.F.M. rating of 650+. :eek:hsnap: Atleast.
Cons.

Not street legal (i never cared):police: , Requires cutting :eek:hnoes: , is not flow bench tested. Doesn't "look cool":sadwavy: , but most people SEEM to think that it is not effective.

What does this have to do with the Mugen box. It is lighter. smoother. Comes with the filter. Is JDM for those that have money (like me) :thumb: .

Why doesn't Spoon us that box...because they are two different companies and in some of the endurance races you are required to maintain a stock air box. It is also quieter..another con for some.

So what this boils down to is in THEORY it is along the lines of a very good set up.

Now comes the infamous online forum sentence..."In my opinion" it should be used with the Type-R manifold and some other tuning. It is not a system designed for drag racing like all the other tubes with filters on the end of 'em. (reference for those that have read my other posts) :lildevil: .

And I am tired of writing this damn thing...someone post on it.

No I don't have one.

No I don't work for either company. Just looking for the most out of my car...considering no K-Pro....

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
The Type R Mugen box won't work on the USDM Si. There is no provision made for the MAF sensor...

The concept is good though.

·
Registered
8,756 Posts
I think our MAF doesn't like extra air--hence intakes for our cars usually have to get smaller where our MAF is. Simply carving a whole into the Mugen intake for the MAF will likely not do the trick.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.