8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

41 - 60 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Mugen vs Brembo Kits

that price difference just makes it seem Kings is giving you a deal, but these are $800 more than a good brembo kit
First off, we welcome questions about our products; quality, price, construction, whatever.

Comparisons or questions relating comparable products to ours our OK too - but misleading or incomplete info is uncool.

Here's what you missed (No disrespect to Brembo, or people who use their parts/kits; they've been making high-end brake components for years. I'm just pointing out the differences):

Brembo Kit does not include: Rear Pads, Rear Brake Lines, App-Specific Anti-Squeal Shims.

Calipers do not have different size pistons to address pad tapering.

Rotors do not have reverse-flow design for increased cooling ability.

Most importantly, the Brembo calipers require ADAPTERS. I've covered this in above posts - this is the most common cause of deformation in aftermarket brake kits.

Lastly, remember this is a sponsored part of 8th Gen.com; you wanna call BS on us and make us back up what we say? Please do. But talking about pricing of other brands isn't acceptable. There's places on this site for that, but King's sponsored section isn't it.

Jude

·
Registered
667 Posts
True that, broke people can scour ebays for wannabe parts. Nobody knows a Honda as good as Honda. And Mugen is a close second, so you can say whatever you want about price, but they are still the best tuning house for hondas. You can probably get a pretty decent brake kit for half the price. But if you want perfection and attention to detail you trust Mugen and the guys at King. Cheapskate can click on the search button and start typing in "ebay brake kits".

·
Registered
7,924 Posts
A nice pieces of Mugen art. I love it, if I can afford it, I'll take this over the Brembo one. But as for now, maybe the Spoon Sports Mono block brake caliper is the best thing I can ever go with.

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
First off, we welcome questions about our products; quality, price, construction, whatever.

Comparisons or questions relating comparable products to ours our OK too - but misleading or incomplete info is uncool.

Here's what you missed (No disrespect to Brembo, or people who use their parts/kits; they've been making high-end brake components for years. I'm just pointing out the differences):

Brembo Kit does not include: Rear Pads, Rear Brake Lines, App-Specific Anti-Squeal Shims.

Most importantly, the Brembo calipers require ADAPTERS. I've covered this in above posts - this is the most common cause of deformation in aftermarket brake kits.

Lastly, remember this is a sponsored part of 8th Gen.com; you wanna call BS on us and make us back up what we say? Please do. But talking about pricing of other brands isn't acceptable. There's places on this site for that, but King's sponsored section isn't it.

Jude
Negative. DC5R, FD2R and TL-2 Brembo calipers are all direct bolt-on's to the FG2 and FA5 knuckle. You can piece together a brembo set up for under 1000.00 USD. But I agree with Jude that the Brembo GT kits are over kill and definitely not worth the money...those kits were designed as a generic fitment kit, where as these mugen's are application specific, which means optimal brake torque will be applied and correctly distributed between front and rear brakes. Plus all the other hoopla she mentioned.

·
Registered
7,924 Posts
Negative. DC5R, FD2R and TL-2 Brembo calipers are all direct bolt-on's to the FG2 and FA5 knuckle. You can piece together a brembo set up for under 1000.00 USD. But I agree with Jude that the Brembo GT kits are over kill and definitely not worth the money...those kits were designed as a generic fitment kit, where as these mugen's are application specific, which means optimal brake torque will be applied and correctly distributed between front and rear brakes. Plus all the other hoopla she mentioned.
I'm sure he's talking about the actual Brembo Brake kits that was made to fit with the Civic Si that cost like $2,500, and not the one that comes with the other Honda from the factory.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
caliper adapter brackets

Thanks for the correction.

I apologize for the error, the vendor I checked with must've had some bad info.

Also, I'm a "he" - just wanted to clarify that.

Jude

·
Registered
713 Posts
I would kill someones ex wife if it were going to pay for these.... Just saying(for anyone in a crappy relationship pm me)

·
Premium Member
21,034 Posts

Jude
1) Brembo DOES address different sized pistons for pad wear (tapering). Almost every caliper I've ever came across, Mu/Stoptech/Brembo/Spoon etc has staggered piston sizes.

2) Aftermarket rotors can address cooling issues for a lot less.

3) I am almost positive these will not fit over stock wheels, stock brakes barely clear, not a chance these will fit. Even EX civic front calipers (wider) do not fit over stock SI wheels without slightly rubbing the caliper.

4) even if these brakes are superior, I doubt anyone would want to pay a grand for new rotors from Mugen once the old ones wear out..

Bigger rotors with cooling ability > Mugen's marginally larger rotor over stock

41 - 60 of 64 Posts