8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

21 - 40 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Damn that's a crazy expensive set of brakes. I bet they're sick though.
Yea man I bet so too, but it kills me that there's not a pair of rear calipers & rotors. I know the fronts do the majority of the work but for that kinda money I kinda expected a lil more than just lines and pads :readtherules:

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
well I was starting to consider this as a future mod, but after looking at it again and seeing that it doesn't include anything but brake pads and lines for the rear.. I've decided to go w/ Wilwoods and save myself 1800 bucks.
yeah wilwood has a killer deal FTW....haha just repaint the wilwood caliper to say mugen!

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #26 (Edited)
I'll address some of the issues/questions in this thread so far.

Rotor Design: The material is a proprietary Hi-Carbon Steel, the same material Mugen uses for the brakes on their GT Race Cars. The "Reverse Bench Design" is again, designed just for this application; fig. A illustrates how this design draws air from the hub, and forces it out between the rotor faces. With more, and larger vanes, the Mugen rotors move substantially more air, and as the illustration shows, they draw it from a large opening in the front, instead of a small opening in the back. The hats have cooling holes, which also reduce unsprung weight. The braking surface grooves are offset, front to back to eliminate brake judder. The rotors are also thicker and have a bigger circumference to give stronger braking and handle excessive heat. The rotors are 3/8” larger than OEM and there are 18 additional cooling fins.

Caliper Design: This is a from-scratch design of a true monoblock. If you have a rigid caliper, but it uses an adapter bracket, you’re going to have flex and deformation at the braking surface, without exception. These calipers mount directly to the factory points –completely eliminating this deformation. Again, this isn’t a one size fits all product with an adapter bracket for each application, it’s an application specific design. To eliminate brake pad tapering and ensure even pressure across the entire pad surface, Mugen produced these calipers with different size leading and trailing pistons. Even the dust boots are proprietary material, made to withstand prolonged excessive heat.

The brake pad material is designed to change the braking force in the rear to match the increased braking power of the front. Even the material, routing and sleeves on the brake lines are made to minimize heat damage to the brake fluid. Also, Mugen developed anti-squeal shims specifically for this setup – the stock shims are not re-used.

All of that said, this system is streetable, but will withstand the most demanding of track useage. Not simply a “brake upgrade”, or a “street version” of a real racing system, these brakes are made to be on the track where rotors routinely glow red for most of the race, and hold up without fail.

Pricing: Without question, this is a premium product and is priced accordingly. But real R&D cost money, and you pay for the result of that R&D with a quality product. This brake system is not for everyone, it’s geared towards enthusiasts that drive hard on the street, and drive even harder on the track.

Jude

·
Premium Member
10,300 Posts
Will this fit the stock wheels? If not, will it at least fit the Mugen GP SI wheels?
If Mugen specifically designed these brakes for the USDM Civic Si then they MIGHT fit with the stock wheels. But I'm just speculating.

·
Registered
8,756 Posts
:pat: at paying over 2 grand JUST for the mugen name alone. The Brakes cost $1,000 give or take.
Brakes don't all cost $1,000. If a brake system takes different components from off the existing shelf, that saves a lot of R&D cost. If some company like Rotara that arbitrarily takes a 4-pot caliper from their parts bin, then yes that's $1,000. If a company does R&D, creates one-off parts, then that'd obviously bump up the cost.

Monobloc calipers can be made on the cheap when mass-produced over two-piece calipers. But to mass produce forged monoblocs, that means you create a one-size-fits-all solution that introduces another flexing point with adapters, as their site says. Considering monoblocs are more prone to flexing as it is with an aluminum bridge, that's a double-whammy when encountering higher temps on the track. (not sure what kind of bridge the Mugens use though) The ebay pricing mentality gets out of hand--just because company X charges $1000, doesn't mean all brake systems are worth $1000.

On the flip side, not sure I'd want high-carbon steel for brake rotors... cast iron is typically used because of its more stable thermal properties, and generally steel rotors wear out quicker for that reason, afaik. And I'm wondering whether that pricing equates to outperforming something like Stoptechs, which are much cheaper. Nice to see Mugen putting parts out for our cars though =)

·
Registered
193 Posts
Looking around King Motorsports website I can't find any info on the caliper colors available. I know Mugen offer them in either gold or gray. You guys only selling the gold ones?

·
Registered
926 Posts
Since I sold my Mugen Si so I really not interested in these, all I have to say is if you cant afford this stuff then dont complain. I get so tired of seeing threads on this stuff and people complaining about over priced items from Mugen and it really doesnt do anything, etc......I dunno just my 2 cents!! If you cant afford it move on. I do know though if I had my Mugen Si I would pick these up!

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Sorry for the delay.

These fit with the Mugen GP, we'll test the OEM wheels as soon as we get a chance. As for caliper colors, it's only the color shown in the pics as of now.

·
Registered
140 Posts
that price difference just makes it seem Kings is giving you a deal, but these are $800 more than a good brembo kit

21 - 40 of 64 Posts