8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this is the answer for many people who want to keep their factory dash. it even works with stock navi's. it's an mtx re-q. It gives you outputs for your sub amp and your speaker amps. i was just wondering if anyone's successfully installed it in their civics with stock navigations. the guy at the dealer told me once you try to take it out, it renders the system. so i was wondering if i go to install it, would it mess up my navi even if the re-qs made to work with it?

·
Registered
434 Posts
Nothing should mess up your NAVI...I mean you can unistall it as many times as you want and it should not be a problem. Just be sure to have your security code handy!

Whatever else you install for audio is not connected to the HU so, no problems or no reason to mess it up.

·
Registered
158 Posts
If you have the Nav system with the 340-watt factory “premium” audio system you do not need this. In fact, you really can’t use it on that system. The Audio HU in the premium system is flat and has special balanced line outputs that drive an external pioneer amp. You can replace the small external amp with an aftermarket amp providing you use equipment compatible with the stock HU lineouts. I can explain what you need if you want to do this. If you want an EQ, you can use one providing it has the correct type of line input.

Civic with the so-called 170-watt standard system could possibly use this. I haven’t measured the response from the standard HU so I don’t know what kind of EQ (if any) it has. Generally the bass is boosted at low volumes to compensate for the speakers, room and human ear response. The so-called cut in bass response at higher volume is not a draw back but normal. If I come across the stock Honda HU I would be happy to bench test it and find out the best way to integrate it to aftermarket amps.

Also, everyone knows that the factory power rating is total BS peak power max distortion. The output of the factory amp is 12w/ch undistorted. 12x7 is not 340. The same goes for the stock 170w system. I haven’t measured it yet but I’m sure that it uses the same class audio ICs as the amp.

jeff

1 - 3 of 3 Posts