8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If anyone has gone from the stock 16 or 17" rims to 18's, what has been the hit on MPG? Any different? I'm assuming that there would be a slight decrease. Please post up figures on your experiences. Be sure to post your model (Si, Ex, etc. and auto/manual, and mods, if any).

Thanks!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Actually, it depends on where the weight is placed more than how much lighter the 18's are. The further the weight is placed from the center point of the wheel, the more power it will take to turn it. Just curious as to how much. Perhaps people posting should specify which rims and how much they weigh.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Yah you ll lose MPG. 18s, are heavier. And the tire you will add to the 18 will be MUCH heavier then a 15 or 16 inch tire.
Then the tire will probably be more sticky, and wider, and you whole setup might be taller. So all those factors will slowly chew away your milage.
But its not going to be that bad, you ll still be getting civic mpg, just the low side of the numbers.
dont forget honda has a 18 inch wheel from the factory.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yah you ll lose MPG. 18s, are heavier. And the tire you will add to the 18 will be MUCH heavier then a 15 or 16 inch tire.
Then the tire will probably be more sticky, and wider, and you whole setup might be taller. So all those factors will slowly chew away your milage.
But its not going to be that bad, you ll still be getting civic mpg, just the low side of the numbers.
dont forget honda has a 18 inch wheel from the factory.
Hmm, I'd think that tires from a 15/16" rims would be much heavier than the 18's, simply due to the fact that they don't need as much rubber for the sidewalls.

But I do agree that MPG loss in eminent. Just wanted to know how much. If it's going to be 1-2MPG, it's not big deal. Hoping it won't be much more than that.

·
Registered
215 Posts
i drive a dx-g a/t and with the si wheels 17" at the place of driving 625km on a tank i drive about 600 so its not to bad

1 - 12 of 12 Posts