8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all! :wavey:
It's been a bittersweet journey, but after owning my 2003 BMW 325ci for about 18 months I'm selling it. 5 speed coupe, it's fast (to me) and beautiful, but I can't deal with the 15mpg guzzling habits and constant high repair bills. I was considering keeping the car on Sunday, feeling sentimental about selling it, when the clutch went out. $1200 later, it's now totally clear that I need to get rid of this thing and buy a civic.

I'm selling my car for $11k, and with only an extra $1K to spare (recent grad) I have my eyes set on a 2006 EX coupe. The only problem is these cars all have around 70-80K miles. I plan on driving this car for a while, several years at least, putting on 15k miles/year. Would anyone advise against purchasing an 06 with high mileage? I didn't want to buy the first model year of a new design, but I can't afford an 07. Anything I should look for? Thanks guys, I'm sure I'll be a regular here after buying the car.

·
Registered
81 Posts
i had an 07 ex with 48k miles but it was just under 14k. i'm sure you could get an 06 with ok miles for what you're looking for. it's hard going from bmw to civic, i've done it twice. but i needed the reliability and fuel economy

·
Registered
123 Posts
I paid 15k for my '06 EX with 44,000 miles. Course it had some extra goodies like HFP wheels and such. I'll keep an eye out for EX's in my area, as I live about an hour from you.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
^^ Wow thanks, I appreciate it! And yeah, reliability and MPG are my main motivators. It's becoming a no-brainer with money being so tight.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
you should be able to find an 06 si for a little over 11k.
I unfortunately need an automatic - I can't deal with LA gridlock in a manual car.

I've been looking high and low, but even an 07 is in the 13-14K range. My top budget is $12k.

·
Banned
4,871 Posts
****. how do i link the exact post?!
ok whatever lol

i searched zip code 90001 for Honda Civic at $13K I'll bet in this sucky economy if you walk in with 12k cash, they'll bite. theres afew EX's with low miles

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
A lot of people have been saying they were able to get their used Si's for 12-14k, I have yet to see one that is through a dealer for that much, or rather, able to see any si's in oregon through a dealer at all.

You should be able to get a decent deal on a LX or EX, I bought my LX with warranty and oil card for about 17.3ish. I had a 7 year finance so It was worth it to me to get the warrnty, and the oil card for upto 4 full synth oil changes at the dealership. I got the car pretty much at invoice at 16.5k

Look around and give some pressure, car sales aren't the brightest in this world right now, dealers might bite at some accept some low balls.

·
Registered
443 Posts
The 8th generation of civic is not as reliable as your father's civic.

Consumer Reports says that the reliability of the newer civic line is expected to decline.

If you want reliability, get a pre-2006 civic.

·
Registered
81 Posts
A lot of people have been saying they were able to get their used Si's for 12-14k, I have yet to see one that is through a dealer for that much, or rather, able to see any si's in oregon through a dealer at all.
my si was a little over $13k, and there were a few others in that price range when i got it. you just have to look around, doesn't hurt working for a honda dealer either..

·
Registered
164 Posts
I understand money is tight, but with about 12k cash you should be able to get a really, I mean really low payment on a bran new 2010 EX, or even lower payment on 2010 LX. Just an option to consider, and a new one will last you much longer with less maintenance than the used ones with 70k miles you are looking at.

On another note, I came from a Mercedes C class, to Civic. Make sure you drive the civic carefully because you are in for some major change.

1) Handling will NOT come even close to a German car, but with the right mind set, it will do.

2) The feel of stability and safety in the car will be missing, it will not compare to a German car. Again, with the right mind set, you can hide it, but will never forget it.

3) Civic will weight less than German cars, and you will miss the extra weight of the car on certain occasions.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts