8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
5,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just saw this BS on cnn. The man commited traffic violations and was pulled over by an undercover LEO. He was ticketed and released. The man posted the video on YouTube and that's when things went downhill. The police served a search warrant on his house, took his computers and camera, and charged him with ILLEGAL WIRETAPING!?!?! IMO any American has the right to record anything on public property, especially a traffic stop.

3/5/2010: Pulled over for speeding
4/7/2010: 6 Cops show up at my house with a search and seizure warrant for all of my computers, cameras and electronics.. They also bring an arrest warrant for "wiretapping" and 2 additional traffic violations. I could not go to jail due to health issues (surgery).
4/14/2010: I turned myself in and spent the night in jail. I was charged with "wiretapping." Felony- 5years $10k max fine. Bail set at $15k?
4/15/2010: Bail review - Released on my own recognizance.

·
Registered
456 Posts
With the right media attention the charges will get dropped here in about a day or two week max. he broke no law and they know it.

·
Registered
6,518 Posts
Your talking about government employees here, don't give them too much credit :giggle:
:yeahthat:

(coming from someone who worked for them, and now works with them ... Its idiocracy on a daily basis)

·
Registered
502 Posts
Isn't wiretapping when you listen in on someone else's conversation?
Since the cop was talking directly to him there is no law breaking.

·
Banned
3,392 Posts
Even if you arent being stopped you have the right to listen to what the cop is saying, and video tape it. I've done it before, all the cop can do is look at you, can't tell you to leave.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Ok first I agree with you guys this is 100% stupid and its just the cop being pissed he got put on youtube pulling his gun for no reason.

It is illegal in MD to tape a converstion if the person doesnt know that you are recording them. You can take video but no audio, they are basicly taking advantage of a law that wasn't suppose to be used for this situation. This was the same law they used on Linda Trip in that Clinton mess when she recorded a phone conversation but that was more of an example of why the law is in place. This situation is a pissed off cop trying to mess with someone.

Oh and the whole issue is the guy turned the camera off right after that, so when the cop asked if it was off he said yes. So yea you can video someone with audio but if they ask you if you are doing it you have to tell them in MD at least.

And yea there was a post about this before it had hit national news.

·
Registered
10,265 Posts
Wow do they have nothing better to do than waste time watching videos on youtube and going o arrest someone for a video?
I did this also but was told it was against the law.
Isn't wiretapping when you listen in on someone else's conversation?
Since the cop was talking directly to him there is no law breaking.
my best guess would be that they were trying to cover up the cop pulling the blatant disregard of standard procedure. cop was way out of line when he pulled his gun, and could possibly get sued/fired for it.

btw......what retard cant see a helmet cam on a biker?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts