8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

501 - 520 of 554 Posts

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Black_ex I'm interested in the rupes, I have been using my porter cable for awhile now and want a new polisher, what model rupes are you using, I was looking into a flex polisher but if there is better then ill consider otherwise. All of my compounds and polishes are meguires, but I use poorboys sealants and waxes, if you haven't tried them do so, their stuff works amazing outside.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Alright that in mind Ill link you some options and why I would choose them.

First I like this one at buff daddy: Microfiber combo kit
-Here you get the Meguiars DA G110v2 which is a great little DA polisher and you also get the meguiars microfiber pads and polishing liquids either 105/205 would work great or the 300/301 (Questions about that specific package Kevin could help you get the prefect selection down). (Also great description of everything included there). BuffDaddy is aka Kevin Brown who, if you didnt know, if a detailing wizard and helped meguiars develop the microfiber pads for years before they were revealed. He knows more about DA polishing than anyone else I know.

Here is another good kit Autogeek
-This kit is the PC742xp which I used for a long time with great results. Comes with pad cleaners, bonus of getting some finishing wax pads for a limited time, and a good variety of pads to choose from. Mike Phillips works over at Autogeek and is another great detailer who has an immense amount of detailing knowledge. He is another great guy who if you see a package there or arent sure combinations you would need to reach out to and would be able to get you exactly what you need.

Here is one at Autodetailingsolutions
-This one gives the most pads so that you would be able to get the most variety.

The griots combo you linked, I would get as its. Two pads in each should be enough. You should be able to make a full round of a car using two pads for each step if you keep them clean (a car the size of our 8th gens as a basis), either using a pad brush, compressed air, towels, etc.

I would go with the microfiber pads personally. You can correct the widest array of defects with it and it will finish down amazing. I use two pads to work around a car each step and I know Kevin would back the awesomeness that is the microfiber pads. As for pad combinations, you mentioned that you would be doing about 3 cars. What are the conditions of the paint? Get a variety for them. I would say you need something for heavy cutting if you have heavy swirling/hard paint, a few medium cutting, and atleast one or two finishing pads with one for wax if you want to apply it with a DA.

For sealant/waxes. I absolutely love Blackfire Wet diamond. It is a good price and in a detailing class I helped put on with Mike Phillips and the man I worked under Nick Chapman we put it side by side with Wolfgang Fuzion and while they are super close a chunk of us thought blackfire was slicker. What you have been recommended is all good stuff though. Cant really go wrong in that department. I have a lot that I have gotten and used but I use blackfire the most. The waxes you list are also good, done some fun things with quick wax, and same thing here you cant really go wrong. Lately Ive used some Lusso Orro, M16, Blackfire midnight sun, wolfgang fuzion, Dodo juice, P21s, and really want to try the blackfireice. I have lots and use them all. I dont really use one over the other, just depends on what I feel like using on the car.

Its not totally necessary but on my personal car, when I actually have time to wash it, Ill usually put some blackfire wet diamond on it and IF i feel like I want to add something on top after letting the wet diamond cure Ill throw some kind of wax over top. However, honestly, its not really needed. Its more to ensure even coverage more than adding anything to your work. With most cars if I only put sealant on one panel and sealant with one of the above waxes over it you would be hard pressed to know I did anything different without me telling you.

Dont get caught up in doing 20 steps when in reality you only needed to do 10. You will often times see people take a bunch of extra steps that arent needed when the same result can be achieved quicker and in a more simple manner. KISS method applies here perfectly.
Microfiber pads are just a bit expensive compared to foam pad. I'm just not sure how many pads would I need for 3 cars. I was thinking about applying wax/sealant by hand or maybe just use the DA if it's a lot faster.

The 2010 Insight is the newest, just have light swirls and a few scratches (on roof and bumper) so that shouldn't require too much detailing I assume.

The 2002 TL-S is the biggest issue, lots of oxidized paint, clear coat coming off, scratches, heavy swirls, and so on. I just plan on doing my best to restore what I can on that car.

The 1999 CR-V, I'm not too sure but from what I saw earlier, it was just waterspot and swirls. Looks pretty clean, seems like the previous owner took decent job of the car.

I'll look into blackfire products. I'm trying to look for a place to order all the stuff from one place so shipping won't be too expensive and all the things come together.

·
Registered
5,754 Posts
Black_ex I'm interested in the rupes, I have been using my porter cable for awhile now and want a new polisher, what model rupes are you using, I was looking into a flex polisher but if there is better then ill consider otherwise. All of my compounds and polishes are meguires, but I use poorboys sealants and waxes, if you haven't tried them do so, their stuff works amazing outside.
If you get a Rupes get the 21 and not the 15.

The LHR21ES BigFoot creates a 21mm diameter orbit.

Random orbital machines that use 5" to 6" discs and pads typically create small orbits, sometimes as small as only several millimeters in diameter. The Rupes LHR21ES creates a 21mm diameter orbit, which really gets pads, discs, and compounds moving.

Why is a large diameter stroke or orbit beneficial?

To better understand why a large stroke machine can deliver better and faster polishing results, imagine hand sanding a panel of wood with a typical sanding block & paper using very short 1mm back and forth strokes. Although sanding would be concentrated and exact, most of the sanding debris would remain positioned between the sandpaper and wood panel. Rapid clogging of the sandpaper would likely occur, effectively limiting cutting power and finishing potential.

However, if the length of each sanding stroke was increased (within a similar time frame), the sandpaper would move along at a more rapid pace. The increased speed of motion would assist in loosening any stuck-on debris from the sandpaper, all the while helping to eliminate sanding debris residing between the paper and wood surface. The exact same principles of extending the stroke apply when using the LHR21ES, except its motion is rotational (not linear), and we use buffing liquids (not sandpaper) to accomplish our work.

High speed + lots of motion = very fast polishing.

A majority of the buffing liquids available today utilize abrasive particles that are engineered to assist in polishing the surfaces we're working on. To work efficiently, these particles must occasionally shift and tumble in order to keep them free of debris, minimize clumping of the abrasives, and slow contamination of the buffing pad. The LHR21ES's large-diameter stroke (21mm) and high-speed capability (4,200 RPM) combine to deliver unrivaled performance in this regard, utterly stomping the performance mustered by other competitor's machines.

21 is definitely the way to go. I have only used it with the microfiber pads. So I cant comment on the Rupes pads or use with a foam pad, though I havent encountered any paint that it cant handle. Also, its the easiest to use machine ever, soooo controllable! Definitely skip the Flex and get the Rupes, totally worth it.

·
Registered
5,754 Posts
Microfiber pads are just a bit expensive compared to foam pad. I'm just not sure how many pads would I need for 3 cars. I was thinking about applying wax/sealant by hand or maybe just use the DA if it's a lot faster.

The 2010 Insight is the newest, just have light swirls and a few scratches (on roof and bumper) so that shouldn't require too much detailing I assume.

Insight paint isnt to pad, you should be able to correct this with 205 pretty well, or something slightly more aggressive.

The 2002 TL-S is the biggest issue, lots of oxidized paint, clear coat coming off, scratches, heavy swirls, and so on. I just plan on doing my best to restore what I can on that car.

This will likely need something aggressive like 105 and (if using lake country pads) an orange heavy cutting pad (or whatever heavy cutting pad you have) and a finishing step like 205 to finish it down.

The 1999 CR-V, I'm not too sure but from what I saw earlier, it was just waterspot and swirls. Looks pretty clean, seems like the previous owner took decent job of the car.

If finish isnt to bad than you should again be okay with a medium cutting pad and 205. Or something slightly more aggressive.

I'll look into blackfire products. I'm trying to look for a place to order all the stuff from one place so shipping won't be too expensive and all the things come together.
My main point by the above post in bold is that Honda paint, as a whole, is fairly easy to correct and generally on the soft side. Even so, approach each cars paint separately. As you described them, I can have a general idea of what may work on each car, this could or could not be the best approach. Like I mentioned before, do a test spot and check your results before going over the entire car.

As for pads, why do you think the microfiber are to expensive? Sure the other packages give you more pads but they are also foam (I will address this further down). Honestly, for your needs, four microfiber pads will be enough for you. Two cutting and two finishing. When working a car I can generally get around half the car with one pad cleaning along the way with compressed air, though you can use a pad brush as well. Foam pads however, I would likely use 3 as they are a bit different in use, unless you have something like a pad washer, once you really cake up a foam pad beyond cleaning with a cloth or brush (which isnt as effective on a foam pad) you need to grab a fresh one.

Lastly, being that you have a pretty good array of quality in paint finishes you will be working on, I personally see you getting the best results out of the microfiber pads. Let me also mention, these are machine washable, wash them with regular tide and then air dry them between uses. If you wash them after you work on the cars then 4 pads (2 cutting and 2 finishing) would be enough for your 3 cars. Even with the foam pads, wash them between uses and you will not need any extra to do 3 cars.

As for ordering from one place, Autogeek does a lot of coupon discounts, google and you can find them, usually for 10-15% off. Also, Rick over at Autodetailingsolutions has some of the best shipping rates around if you decide to go with him.

Finally, I see you are in NJ. I am not sure if I know of any detailers up in that area, but I will check. I am also on a detailing forum meguiarsonline.com that has a lot of great detailers (Im under john m. over there) and you can find someone local or close to your area that I am sure would be willing to let you get your hands on some actual product and see what you like.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
My main point by the above post in bold is that Honda paint, as a whole, is fairly easy to correct and generally on the soft side. Even so, approach each cars paint separately. As you described them, I can have a general idea of what may work on each car, this could or could not be the best approach. Like I mentioned before, do a test spot and check your results before going over the entire car.

As for pads, why do you think the microfiber are to expensive? Sure the other packages give you more pads but they are also foam (I will address this further down). Honestly, for your needs, four microfiber pads will be enough for you. Two cutting and two finishing. When working a car I can generally get around half the car with one pad cleaning along the way with compressed air, though you can use a pad brush as well. Foam pads however, I would likely use 3 as they are a bit different in use, unless you have something like a pad washer, once you really cake up a foam pad beyond cleaning with a cloth or brush (which isnt as effective on a foam pad) you need to grab a fresh one.

Lastly, being that you have a pretty good array of quality in paint finishes you will be working on, I personally see you getting the best results out of the microfiber pads. Let me also mention, these are machine washable, wash them with regular tide and then air dry them between uses. If you wash them after you work on the cars then 4 pads (2 cutting and 2 finishing) would be enough for your 3 cars. Even with the foam pads, wash them between uses and you will not need any extra to do 3 cars.

As for ordering from one place, Autogeek does a lot of coupon discounts, google and you can find them, usually for 10-15% off. Also, Rick over at Autodetailingsolutions has some of the best shipping rates around if you decide to go with him.

Finally, I see you are in NJ. I am not sure if I know of any detailers up in that area, but I will check. I am also on a detailing forum meguiarsonline.com that has a lot of great detailers (Im under john m. over there) and you can find someone local or close to your area that I am sure would be willing to let you get your hands on some actual product and see what you like.
Thanks. Now I'm thinking about doing ordering things differently. Order the polisher by itself, where ever and which ever brand is the cheapest. Then order the backing plate + 4 microfiber pads (2 cutting, 2 finishing) and any other recommended pads I guess.

The only reason why I think foam pad is cheaper because it comes with more in a kit and seems like people recommend foam pad (saying which color(s) to use) over microfiber pad. I really haven't looked into microfiber pads until you suggested it.

I'm still unsure of what I'm actually going to buy at this moment. I wouldn't mind ordering from multiple places or even go to stores if I can get them.

I've been comparing polishers and I pretty much narrowed it down to Porter Cable, Griot's Garage, and possibly Harbor Freight (cheapest).

I'm not in NJ. I live in California. I've been going through multiple detailing sites and see what was good according to user reviews.

Edit: what's the difference between M105/205 and D300/301?

·
Registered
5,754 Posts
Thanks. Now I'm thinking about doing ordering things differently. Order the polisher by itself, where ever and which ever brand is the cheapest. Then order the backing plate + 4 microfiber pads (2 cutting, 2 finishing) and any other recommended pads I guess.

The only reason why I think foam pad is cheaper because it comes with more in a kit and seems like people recommend foam pad (saying which color(s) to use) over microfiber pad. I really haven't looked into microfiber pads until you suggested it.

I'm still unsure of what I'm actually going to buy at this moment. I wouldn't mind ordering from multiple places or even go to stores if I can get them.

I've been comparing polishers and I pretty much narrowed it down to Porter Cable, Griot's Garage, and possibly Harbor Freight (cheapest).

I'm not in NJ. I live in California. I've been going through multiple detailing sites and see what was good according to user reviews.

Edit: what's the difference between M105/205 and D300/301?
Whoops idk why I thought I saw NJ haha! Depending on where you are in Cali, look up Joe at Superior Shine (I think he is around Covina). He is a great guy and suuuper knowledgeable. He would definitely be able to show you the microfiber system up close and personable!

People recommend the foam pads more simply because they have been out forever. Micro fiber pads are a relatively new product in the detailing world that have really improved the DA polishing aspect. Foam pads are probably a little cheaper for that reason, however, I havent really used any of my foam pads in a while. They are definitely still applicable to detailing though, if the pricing works out to be cheaper with a foam pad kit then by all means go ahead and do that. I am not trying to force anything on you, this is just purely my opinion and what I have found to work the best for me. Like I said before, find out what you like and stick with it, which is why it would be great if you can get a hands on experience with the Micro fiber DA system.

Take the Harbor Freight out of your line up. Get either the Griots, Porter Cable, or Meguiars. Those are going to be your best bet honestly.

105 and 205 was a system of formulas that Meguiars put out a while back. They came out before micro fiber pads and were to be used as a pair. 105 for heavy cutting and 205 to finish down. 300 and 301 is essentially the same type of pairing for the microfiber system. 301 is actually more of a finishing wax type of product that will eliminate hazing and very fine swirling as a last step. However, honestly, I have been able to get 300 to finish down perfectly nearly every time I use it. That said, no one product has to be kept with one pad. Experiment. 105 and 205 actually work fine with the micro fiber pads.

If you do end up going with the micro fiber pads, let me know. They do not work the same was as regular foam pads. What I mean is the speed setting, arm speed movement, pressure etc. I wont bother going into that now as it is just more information and I dont want to confuse you anymore than I may be. :D

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Whoops idk why I thought I saw NJ haha! Depending on where you are in Cali, look up Joe at Superior Shine (I think he is around Covina). He is a great guy and suuuper knowledgeable. He would definitely be able to show you the microfiber system up close and personable!

People recommend the foam pads more simply because they have been out forever. Micro fiber pads are a relatively new product in the detailing world that have really improved the DA polishing aspect. Foam pads are probably a little cheaper for that reason, however, I havent really used any of my foam pads in a while. They are definitely still applicable to detailing though, if the pricing works out to be cheaper with a foam pad kit then by all means go ahead and do that. I am not trying to force anything on you, this is just purely my opinion and what I have found to work the best for me. Like I said before, find out what you like and stick with it, which is why it would be great if you can get a hands on experience with the Micro fiber DA system.

Take the Harbor Freight out of your line up. Get either the Griots, Porter Cable, or Meguiars. Those are going to be your best bet honestly.

105 and 205 was a system of formulas that Meguiars put out a while back. They came out before micro fiber pads and were to be used as a pair. 105 for heavy cutting and 205 to finish down. 300 and 301 is essentially the same type of pairing for the microfiber system. 301 is actually more of a finishing wax type of product that will eliminate hazing and very fine swirling as a last step. However, honestly, I have been able to get 300 to finish down perfectly nearly every time I use it. That said, no one product has to be kept with one pad. Experiment. 105 and 205 actually work fine with the micro fiber pads.

If you do end up going with the micro fiber pads, let me know. They do not work the same was as regular foam pads. What I mean is the speed setting, arm speed movement, pressure etc. I wont bother going into that now as it is just more information and I dont want to confuse you anymore than I may be. :D
I actually live in NorCal/CenCal (school), so no where near Covina (SoCal).

I see.. Foam pads are a bit cheaper than microfiber pads after going through multiple detailing store sites, though as long as it's reusable after cleaning, I'm fine with paying a bit more. I need to find some coupon/discount for Porter Cable or Griot's Garage as Meguiar's DA polisher don't seem to be on sale much or retails a bit higher than the others.

Right now, I'm looking to see what was the cheapest I can get and from my perspective, I'm assuming a polisher alone will cost me $100-$120. Then I would have $80-$100 on compound/polish/wax and pads/backing plate. On Detailersdomain site, I found a Meguiar's Microfiber combo for around $80 (after shipping and discount) which comes with 2 cutting and 2 finishing pad, D300 and D301 liquid and the 5" backing plate. At this point, I seem to lean more towards this combo just because it is mostly Meguiar's and I've been using most of their products.

I wouldn't mind buying M105 and M205 if I can find them locally or online, just not sure if I need a 8oz or 32oz. Wouldn't mind having D300, D301, M105, and M205 in my garage.

Microfiber pads usage is different from foam pads? Need more detail xD haha

To be honest, I'm a cheap person, well mostly because I'm a college student and trying to save as much as I can. But I'm looking to invest in a system to keep the cars in good shape. I guess I wouldn't mind bumping my budget a bit but would love to keep it under $200 if possible.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
If you get a Rupes get the 21 and not the 15.

The LHR21ES BigFoot creates a 21mm diameter orbit.

Random orbital machines that use 5" to 6" discs and pads typically create small orbits, sometimes as small as only several millimeters in diameter. The Rupes LHR21ES creates a 21mm diameter orbit, which really gets pads, discs, and compounds moving.

Why is a large diameter stroke or orbit beneficial?

To better understand why a large stroke machine can deliver better and faster polishing results, imagine hand sanding a panel of wood with a typical sanding block & paper using very short 1mm back and forth strokes. Although sanding would be concentrated and exact, most of the sanding debris would remain positioned between the sandpaper and wood panel. Rapid clogging of the sandpaper would likely occur, effectively limiting cutting power and finishing potential.

However, if the length of each sanding stroke was increased (within a similar time frame), the sandpaper would move along at a more rapid pace. The increased speed of motion would assist in loosening any stuck-on debris from the sandpaper, all the while helping to eliminate sanding debris residing between the paper and wood surface. The exact same principles of extending the stroke apply when using the LHR21ES, except its motion is rotational (not linear), and we use buffing liquids (not sandpaper) to accomplish our work.

High speed + lots of motion = very fast polishing.

A majority of the buffing liquids available today utilize abrasive particles that are engineered to assist in polishing the surfaces we're working on. To work efficiently, these particles must occasionally shift and tumble in order to keep them free of debris, minimize clumping of the abrasives, and slow contamination of the buffing pad. The LHR21ES's large-diameter stroke (21mm) and high-speed capability (4,200 RPM) combine to deliver unrivaled performance in this regard, utterly stomping the performance mustered by other competitor's machines.

21 is definitely the way to go. I have only used it with the microfiber pads. So I cant comment on the Rupes pads or use with a foam pad, though I havent encountered any paint that it cant handle. Also, its the easiest to use machine ever, soooo controllable! Definitely skip the Flex and get the Rupes, totally worth it.
That's the one I was looking at, thanks, I'll look into the microfiber pad also but I used the hex logic pads in the past but have since switched to meguires flat pads, the hex logics just didnt seem to remove defects as well.

·
Registered
5,754 Posts
I actually live in NorCal/CenCal (school), so no where near Covina (SoCal).

I see.. Foam pads are a bit cheaper than microfiber pads after going through multiple detailing store sites, though as long as it's reusable after cleaning, I'm fine with paying a bit more. I need to find some coupon/discount for Porter Cable or Griot's Garage as Meguiar's DA polisher don't seem to be on sale much or retails a bit higher than the others.

Right now, I'm looking to see what was the cheapest I can get and from my perspective, I'm assuming a polisher alone will cost me $100-$120. Then I would have $80-$100 on compound/polish/wax and pads/backing plate. On Detailersdomain site, I found a Meguiar's Microfiber combo for around $80 (after shipping and discount) which comes with 2 cutting and 2 finishing pad, D300 and D301 liquid and the 5" backing plate. At this point, I seem to lean more towards this combo just because it is mostly Meguiar's and I've been using most of their products.

I wouldn't mind buying M105 and M205 if I can find them locally or online, just not sure if I need a 8oz or 32oz. Wouldn't mind having D300, D301, M105, and M205 in my garage.

Microfiber pads usage is different from foam pads? Need more detail xD haha

To be honest, I'm a cheap person, well mostly because I'm a college student and trying to save as much as I can. But I'm looking to invest in a system to keep the cars in good shape. I guess I wouldn't mind bumping my budget a bit but would love to keep it under $200 if possible.
Yeah M105 and M205 is really nice to have, if you also get 300/301 you dont need to buy in massive quantities. With the microfiber system you will actually use less product than you would think. Let me explain that a little more, or atleast try to haha. Ill use the Porter Cable as reference.

The first thing about the micro fiber pads is that they need full coverage on the pad. Start out by putting some pea sized dots around the pad and start working it in a bit. Take the pad off the paint and you will still see white areas on the pad (Pad is white, 300 is pink) and you will want to add more product so that the entire pad is pink. Once you reach this point the pad is ready to work.

The porter cable speed settings are in numbers. While you may think, heavy swirls and scratches would want the highest setting (speed 6) this is actually not helpful at all using this system. The micro fiber pads actually respond best around 3-4 on the Porter cable. It also responds well to heavy pressure and slow arm movement.

Also, keep in mind that these are micro fiber pads and because of that the fibers will get matted down so it is important to clean these pads frequently. I clean them after every panel. If you have compressed air that is best but a pad brush works also. Brush the pad out with the Porter Cable on and fluff up the fibers and you will be good to continue.

I understand you price worry. I was the same when I started. This is just one way, but I started by doing washes and interior work in bulk for places as a way to get the cash and then invested all of that money back into my business to afford the Polisher and etc.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Yeah M105 and M205 is really nice to have, if you also get 300/301 you dont need to buy in massive quantities. With the microfiber system you will actually use less product than you would think. Let me explain that a little more, or atleast try to haha. Ill use the Porter Cable as reference.

The first thing about the micro fiber pads is that they need full coverage on the pad. Start out by putting some pea sized dots around the pad and start working it in a bit. Take the pad off the paint and you will still see white areas on the pad (Pad is white, 300 is pink) and you will want to add more product so that the entire pad is pink. Once you reach this point the pad is ready to work.

The porter cable speed settings are in numbers. While you may think, heavy swirls and scratches would want the highest setting (speed 6) this is actually not helpful at all using this system. The micro fiber pads actually respond best around 3-4 on the Porter cable. It also responds well to heavy pressure and slow arm movement.

Also, keep in mind that these are micro fiber pads and because of that the fibers will get matted down so it is important to clean these pads frequently. I clean them after every panel. If you have compressed air that is best but a pad brush works also. Brush the pad out with the Porter Cable on and fluff up the fibers and you will be good to continue.

I understand you price worry. I was the same when I started. This is just one way, but I started by doing washes and interior work in bulk for places as a way to get the cash and then invested all of that money back into my business to afford the Polisher and etc.
I'll probably get both M105/205 and D300/D301, right now looking for the best place to get them all besides the polisher.

I watched a video about the DA Microfiber Correction on Autogeek YT channel and the speed was 4 for compound and 3 for polish/finish for their Meguiar DA Polisher. So for microfiber pads, you need more pressure than foam pads?

Right now I'm not sure what I'll be using to clean the pad. Maybe get a brush or compressed air cans (for computers, etc.) or maybe just plug in the giant compressor in the garage though I rather not.

Yeah, money tight currently. Really don't have much time to detail other cars besides the one I drive and the other cars my parent drives.

·
Registered
5,754 Posts
You dont need to use more pressure it just depends on the paint. Like I have mentioned always start with a test spot. What I really meant to get across with the pressure is that the micro fiber pads really like pressure more so than foam pads. They will keep trucking along and not bog down as easy as foam would. Brush would be better than air cans, best would be a big air compressor if you plug it in. haha but if you would rather not a good little pad brush you can get from any detailing site will work for you.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
You dont need to use more pressure it just depends on the paint. Like I have mentioned always start with a test spot. What I really meant to get across with the pressure is that the micro fiber pads really like pressure more so than foam pads. They will keep trucking along and not bog down as easy as foam would. Brush would be better than air cans, best would be a big air compressor if you plug it in. haha but if you would rather not a good little pad brush you can get from any detailing site will work for you.
Does the brush need to be specifically for cleaning those pads? lol

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
I have this brush and it works well if you dont have compressed air available.
I'll probably just turn on the compress air machine and save some money lol.

So far I ordered..
From DetailersDomain ($75):
Meguiar DA Microfiber 5" kit w/ the backplate

From Amazon ($32)
Meguiar's Microfiber Wash Mitt
Meguiar's EvenCoat Applicator (for wax or anything)
The Absorber Synthetic Drying Chamois
MOTHERS Foaming Wheel & Tire Cleaner

I still need to get:
DA Polisher
a pack of MF towels from Costco
and maybe some other stuff that I forgot or want later on...

~$107 on supplies, leaving me ~$90-$100 for a polisher. Right now I'm thinking about just going to HF and buy the DA Polisher they have for ~$50 and try it and see if it's a keeper or not, if I don't like it, I'll just return it and invest in a PC. I've been reading on forums (autogeek & autotopia) about the HF DA Polisher and seems to have decent reviews on the machine with the exception of the poor cable and crappy backplate that must be replaced if you want to use lol.

I've been browsing online for a while to look for a deal on a polisher and came across nothing lately, so going to give HF DA Polisher a try. The cheapest PC I found was $105 (refurbished). GG haven't been on sale for a while.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I'll probably just turn on the compress air machine and save some money lol.

So far I ordered..
From DetailersDomain ($75):
Meguiar DA Microfiber 5" kit w/ the backplate

From Amazon ($32)
Meguiar's Microfiber Wash Mitt
Meguiar's EvenCoat Applicator (for wax or anything)
The Absorber Synthetic Drying Chamois
MOTHERS Foaming Wheel & Tire Cleaner

I still need to get:
DA Polisher
a pack of MF towels from Costco
and maybe some other stuff that I forgot or want later on...

~$107 on supplies, leaving me ~$90-$100 for a polisher. Right now I'm thinking about just going to HF and buy the DA Polisher they have for ~$50 and try it and see if it's a keeper or not, if I don't like it, I'll just return it and invest in a PC. I've been reading on forums (autogeek & autotopia) about the HF DA Polisher and seems to have decent reviews on the machine with the exception of the poor cable and crappy backplate that must be replaced if you want to use lol.

I've been browsing online for a while to look for a deal on a polisher and came across nothing lately, so going to give HF DA Polisher a try. The cheapest PC I found was $105 (refurbished). GG haven't been on sale for a while.
Save yourself the time and effort, buy nicer microfiber towels, I just picked up a pack of cobra golds, I used to use the Costco ones, they weren't as soft, they clogged with wax easily, and they left lint like crazy, the cobras, so much nicer, they are holding up much better, no issues removing wax, and best of all, no lint.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Save yourself the time and effort, buy nicer microfiber towels, I just picked up a pack of cobra golds, I used to use the Costco ones, they weren't as soft, they clogged with wax easily, and they left lint like crazy, the cobras, so much nicer, they are holding up much better, no issues removing wax, and best of all, no lint.
Any links to them? Originally, I wanted to get Meguiar's Supreme Shine but those were $8 for 3, a bit on the pricey side and I already have about 4-5 of them, just need to wash them.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Any links to them? Originally, I wanted to get Meguiar's Supreme Shine but those were $8 for 3, a bit on the pricey side and I already have about 4-5 of them, just need to wash them.
http://www.autogeekmobile.net/gold-plush-jr-towel.html

They are pricey but worth it, I use the detailers microfiber rejuvenator and it works well, better to spend a bit more for the quality and just wash them then go cheap, though I do keep the Costco ones around for windows and such.

By the way cobra waffle weave towels are amazing for drying lol, my collection of every towel, cheap and pricey, the blue ones are cobra miracle towels, they work better removing waxes because of their weave, the golds work well too.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
So far I only had time to wash, clay, and compound the car.. Will continue with the finishing wax (Meguiars D301) + whatever other wax I have in the garage tomorrow morning. Too tired after compounding, never used the DA polisher before, so much vibration and making my hand feel really tired.

I have a question.. How do you clean windows/mirrors? I keep having streaks or water spots on the windows/mirrors, been trying to use just water or car wash soap or glass cleaners.

501 - 520 of 554 Posts