8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Winter, morning commute, cold engine & speed

Hi,

I'm in Toronto & average temp @ -10C

What speed should I go when driving a brand new Civic 2008 dx-a early in the morning, considering that the engine is Cold.

I turn on the engine, wait a few seconds, then begin driving. I try to go slow, not more than 40Km/h. I even avoid the highway.

The problem is that my work office is only 10km away. I'm afraid of warming the engine a bit and after approx. 20 minutes shut it down. It'll be turned on again only 8 hours later.

Isn't that bad for an engine?

·
Registered
214 Posts
The point is you can drive as fast as you want as long as you keep the engine rpm as low as you can. you can just accelerate slow up to the speed you want to go. :thumb:

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so the secret is not accelerate too much... take it easy and you can reach 100Km/s if you accelerate very very slowly.

what about the fact that the engine didn't warm up completely and it's shut down after 15 minutes of driving?

·
Registered
182 Posts
Hi,

I'm in Toronto & average temp @ -10C

What speed should I go when driving a brand new Civic 2008 dx-a early in the morning, considering that the engine is Cold.

I turn on the engine, wait a few seconds, then begin driving. I try to go slow, not more than 40Km/h. I even avoid the highway.

The problem is that my work office is only 10km away. I'm afraid of warming the engine a bit and after approx. 20 minutes shut it down. It'll be turned on again only 8 hours later.

Isn't that bad for an engine?
Take it from a fellow Torontonian....

Start the car in the morning, give it 30seconds to 1minute to idle. Put it in gear and drive easy....you can even drive on the highway, just accelerate to 100-120km/h moderately. When you get to work, don't worry about it not getting fully to temperature...its not a big issue.

Its actually a waste to let your car sit and idle for 5+ minutes in the mornings, not only you risk your car getting stolen, but you're wasting fuel and emitting excess pollution.

Just think to your self in the mornings: Start car and drive easy.....its good for the car, and good for fuel efficiency :wavey:

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Take it from a fellow Torontonian....

Start the car in the morning, give it 30seconds to 1minute to idle. Put it in gear and drive easy....you can even drive on the highway, just accelerate to 100-120km/h moderately. When you get to work, don't worry about it not getting fully to temperature...its not a big issue.

Its actually a waste to let your car sit and idle for 5+ minutes in the mornings, not only you risk your car getting stolen, but you're wasting fuel and emitting excess pollution.

Just think to your self in the mornings: Start car and drive easy.....its good for the car, and good for fuel efficiency :wavey:
Nice reply....... That's what I was thinking.

My father has an old diesel Volkswagen Kombi... He would always say: if you're gonna drive for a few minutes just to go a place nearby, then just leave the Kombi where it is. It's not good for its engine to warm up just a little bit and then shut it down. :police:

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
As far as the short trips where the engine doesn't get very hot, it is best to at least occasionally (once a week or so) take the car on a longer trip to get the engine up to operating temp.

The reason is that on these short trips the engine warms and then cools causing condensation inside the engine. Also when the engine is cold you get increased blow-by (unburnt fuel and combustion gasses leaking past the rings). This blow-by and condensation get into the oil and can cause increased wear and corrosion if they are allowed to build up. It isn't a huge problem, but it is good to occasionally get the engine hot to evaporate this out of the oil so the PCV system can draw it out of the system.

Getting the engine good and hot perodically can also help prevent the build up of carbon in the engine. However, with better fuels and cleaner burning engines this isn't much of an issue anymore (it still is with diesels).

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
so if you dont warm up @ all is there any damage?
When the car sits the oil drains back into the pan. When you start the engine it takes a few moments for oil to get to all the bearings, etc. If you start the car and instantly rev the engine or put load on it (start driving) it is hard on the engine. After the oil has reached all parts of the engine there is no damage to start driving. Edit: As mito said, 30 seconds to a minute is plenty of time before driving.

However, when the oil is cold it reduces the volume of flow, particularly to the parts of the engine far from the pump such as the camshaft. Higher RPMs require higher oil flow to maintain proper protection. If you run the engine to high RPMs with cold oil you risk insuficient lubrication. Granted, the engine is still getting oil, just at reduced volume. It wouldn't be enough that you would destroy your engine, just risk increased wear and stress.

It doesn't take long for the oil to warm up, but to be safe I don't push my car harder than I have to until at or near operating temp.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Some good advice in here... My grandfather always told me 30 seconds, don't just crank and go.

Also good advice about getting your car up to full operating temperature... at least 10 miles so you can get the moisture out of your oil and help keep the engine clean.

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
Can it be 10km? :eek:hnoes:

That's how far my work is... :redface::xyxnervou

:biggrin::biggrin:
10km is better than the people who only drive 4 or 5, but even after 10km the engine probably isn't very hot, particularly when the weather is cold.

As long as you take longer trips occasionally (maybe going somewere on the weekends for example) you should be fine.

If it is just impractical or impossible to take longer trips then you can simply change you oil more often to get rid of the contamination. For example, if you normally change your oil every 9,000-10,000 km maybe start changing it at 6,000-8,000 km. However, on the 8th gen Civic the maintenance minder takes into account number of cold starts, etc. So if you are following that I wouldn't worry too much about it.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.