8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen a trend on Si boards and would like some input on the issue. Kind of scaring me away from wanting to do any Mods. :eek:hnoes:

People add intake a catback exhaust, which results in a loss of power. SRI is what I see the most; I think I have only seen a one or two that have said they lost power after installing a CAI.

What's the deal?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
563 Posts
^ the stock airbox is already very efficient. X's new intake is the only intake that is proven to gain power all across the power band.

As far as a catback, without a high flow cat or race header, the catback will show little gains as the true bottleneck is still there.

In short, certain mods only work well with others, and certain mods only gain on certain portions of the powerband.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
356 Posts
Catbacks don't make you lose any power, you gain about 5hp. Most of the intakes have been ruining your ARF except for a new one created by 8thgen member xfactorwrx. His makes around 10hp.

You can check out his thread:
http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57499

TSX cams are about to become the new rage with X's version 2 intake, i think he is up to about 230 hp by now...

Throttle body spacer is good for a few hp, race header around 10. Pulleys around 5.

Edited for numbers...
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
14,725 Posts
^all your numbers are inflated. and x's dynos are NOT whp. whp is about 4-5% less than his dynos.
x intake = ~12 hp
tsx cams = unkown hp (maybe 5-10 w/ reflash)
race header = ~10hp
exhaust = ~5-8 hp.
throttle body spacer = ~2hp
pulleys....i didnt think they add any hp, just allow the engine to rev faster, therefor allowing you to get to the usuable part of the pwoerband faster.

you cannot add these number up to get your estimated WHP.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info so far.

That's cool that X made a really good intake system, but what about ones made from larger venders? Is there one that is way above the rest? Also, it seems that any catback exhaust is going to make about the same gains, if any at all. Which one, IYO, gives the best sound? I'm looking for a deeper sound (I really want to avoid the rice burner sound).

Does X have a website where he sells his intake?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,758 Posts
SCSi said:
Catbacks don't make you lose any power, you gain between 5-10whp depending. Most of the intakes have been ruining your ARF except for a new one created by 8thgen member xfactorwrx. His makes around 12-14whp, dyno proven by several runs and several members.

You can check out his thread:
http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57499

TSX cams are about to become the new rage with X's version 2 intake, i think he is up to about 235whp by now...

Throttle body spacer is good for about 5whp, race header from 12-18whp depending. Pulleys around 5-7whp.

Basically, there are tons of mods that make power on the K20Z3, you just gotten do a little more searching around and reading.

ricer math ftl.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
49,418 Posts
I agree with X's intake but it seems like since he made it EVERYONE seems to think all other intakes are crap.....X is not the only one with a decent intake. I made 9whp with my Injen CAI.

Now to the OP. I would read and look at dyno charts, not dynopak charts but a dynojet. ALL intakes produce more power but each one a little different. SRI is more for low-mid range and CAI is more for mid to high rpms. If you live in a water prone area, go for a SRI.
As for exhaust, this is the same thing...trial and error. I added a magnaflow cat back and got 0 gains from stock so I went with a bigger piping and free-er flowing exhaust (Skunk2) and I can notice a little bit better response already. dyno trip is this month so I will know what I exactly got.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
49,418 Posts
NIGHTHAWKSI said:
^all your numbers are inflated. and x's dynos are NOT whp. whp is about 4-5% less than his dynos.
x intake = ~12 hp
tsx cams = unkown hp (maybe 5-10 w/ reflash)
race header = ~10hp
exhaust = ~5-8 hp.
throttle body spacer = ~2hp
pulleys....i didnt think they add any hp, just allow the engine to rev faster, therefor allowing you to get to the usuable part of the pwoerband faster.

you cannot add these number up to get your estimated WHP.
:yeahthat: except the pulleys do allow more power but it's so little IMO it isnt worth teh time or money
I also got 3 whp with my spacer.....people don't seem to realize that every car is different. If so and so made 10 whp with something, you might only make 7
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,758 Posts
06blaksi said:
I agree with X's intake but it seems like since he made it EVERYONE seems to think all other intakes are crap.....X is not the only one with a decent intake. I made 9whp with my Injen CAI.
finally a good thought. people just scrap ideas all the time when something better comes out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,170 Posts
With TSX cams, X's intake, race header, hondata and stock exhaust he made 232 on a dynojet. Thats not half bad for a bolt on motor with just mild tsx cams.He also made 164tq.

Those numbers are higher then a s2k dynos for reference.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
49,418 Posts
GlxyGry06Si said:
finally a good thought. people just scrap ideas all the time when something better comes out.
See what I mean....13 post in this thread and 10 are about X's intake....can you say bandwagon
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,758 Posts
yep. damn you have a lotta rep. well i guess with 36k posts.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,883 Posts
http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23858

All pretty good info posted here except about pulleys, they do make HP, I have them myself and noticed some great differences. The engine revs faster as mentioned already, it also accelerates faster when not in vtec, when the AC is on it doesn't feel like you're dragging an anchor behind you, and it spins the alternator faster to generate more electricity so I don't get any more light dimming when my aftermarket sub hit. Very good mod IMO :thumb:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
356 Posts
GlxyGry06Si said:
ricer math ftl.
So my numbers were slightly off, sorry. I never said you can add an intake and an exhaust's numbers together to get what you are going to gain. No need to call me a ricer for making a simple mistake.

But BTW, Type R badges definitely add 57.3hp.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,758 Posts
SCSi said:
So my numbers were slightly off, sorry. I never said you can add an intake and an exhaust's numbers together to get what you are going to gain. No need to call me a ricer for making a simple mistake.

But BTW, Type R badges definitely add 57.3hp.
slightly........ *sighs* try over inflating by a lot. but its alright. you forgot to add that a reflash give you 30 hp on peak hp.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
517 Posts
was this dynojet? i think it was dynapack.

xxbodkinxx said:
With TSX cams, X's intake, race header, hondata and stock exhaust he made 232 on a dynojet. Thats not half bad for a bolt on motor with just mild tsx cams.He also made 164tq.

Those numbers are higher then a s2k dynos for reference.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
532 Posts
Bandwagon... ain't that the truth. I'm sure everyone would like to get the best they can without drawbacks. I mean, I remember the Injen CAI bandwagon. So many went with the Injen and a lot of them will stick with it. Others evolve... and get what works, you know? The best.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,595 Posts
X's intake? whats this? who made it?
 
1 - 20 of 38 Posts
Top