8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys, I'm kind of torn here.

I want to do a decent amout to my SI because I love it. Unfortunately, like anything else I've owned; I want a little more.

I'm weighing two options right now for my mods next spring. I wanna keep it under 4k.

Comptech Supercharger - $3550.00
Tires ~ $500.00

Total: $4050.00

OR

Wheels and tires ~ $1100.00 (Konig Feathers and Falken Azenis 615s)
TSX Cams ~ $600.00
X Intake V2 ~ $50.00
HFP Suspension ~ $600.00
Vibrant RH w/ HFC ~ $700.00
HFP front lip ~ $250.00
*MAYBE* Reflash ~ $600.00

Total: $3900.00 w/ reflash and $3300.00 without.

I'm leaning toward option two as its MUCH more well rounded but I will undoubtedly make more power with the comptech...hmmmm

Shall we discuss?:thumb:

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Any opinions? Keep in mind 'I wanna go fast.' But I do like the idea of OEM cams that are less likely to give me any warranty problems...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Sorry for the noob question... do the tsx cams provide a good performance gain???

In either case i'd go with option #2... I've always liked N/A hondas... and you get more parts

Mike

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry for the noob question... do the tsx cams provide a good performance gain???

In either case i'd go with option #2... I've always liked N/A hondas... and you get more parts

Mike
I do like the idea of NA (it's kind of what Honda is all about) I'm just afraid it wont be enough :(

As far as performance goes: X made 232 whp (on a dyna pack so subtract ~8%) with the TSX cams, his version 2 intake and a DCRH.

If you compare what most people are making with a SC on an otherwise stock Si like mine would be. Thats about 230 whp which = around 249 dynapack WHP.

so 232 or 249 (with more potential)

decisions....

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
can't you get opition 2, and then later in the year get the supercharger?
Definitely, but I'm not sure I wanna put that kind of cash into it just yet...

The car is basically my dream car (I know it's lame, but I'm a Honda guy through and through) and I have no intentions of getting rid of it. However, I'm still pretty deep in my loan (only had it for a few months :p) and I don't want to get carried away.

I do see your point though, option 2 is definitely appealing to me more and more (most likely without the reflash)...

The only thing is I feel guilty tearing into my head so soon.. lol like I said; I'm torn.

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
i know what you mean, i want to do little mods on mine, but because of cash i just haven't, and they don't even cost that much all together >.>

but in your position i would get opition 2 in the spring between may and june, gives you enought time to get some money, and still pay enough for the car, and then if you can wait, get the superchange same time around on the next year

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
Id say option 2, but get better wheels and tires; they should be something you splurge on. Im just not a fan of squishing air into an engine with an 11 to 1 compression ratio or whatever it is. I think the s/c is bling, but its new car and youd like to keep some of the warranty. After three years or so, then have at it.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Id say option 2, but get better wheels and tires; they should be something you splurge on. Im just not a fan of squishing air into an engine with an 11 to 1 compression ratio or whatever it is. I think the s/c is bling, but its new car and youd like to keep some of the warranty. After three years or so, then have at it.
Yea, I'm def feeling option two. I was going to opt for the OZ Ultraleggeras with Falken Azenis RT615s but I really like the look of the Konig feathers. Lucky for me the Feathers are cheaper and weigh less :p. I've also heard nothing but good thing about the Azenis. So for wheels and tires that will most likely be the route I take.

I'm also thinking with the TSX cams I won't really have to worry about warranty stuff. The dealer isn't going to really know the difference; not like Skunk cams or another aftermarket that has their name carved in them.

·
Registered
626 Posts
I think i would lean towards option one. The one thing that the si lacks is low end torque. at the very least the SC will give you faster acceleration(which most people are happy with cuz it makes the car feel much faster). i guess what im trying to say is the SC will give you a more useful power(in my opinion) and option 2 will probably just give you a higher peak HP.

keep in mind i dont claim to be an expert and its just what i would do.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think i would lean towards option one. The one thing that the si lacks is low end torque. at the very least the SC will give you faster acceleration(which most people are happy with cuz it makes the car feel much faster). i guess what im trying to say is the SC will give you a more useful power(in my opinion) and option 2 will probably just give you a higher peak HP.

keep in mind i dont claim to be an expert and its just what i would do.
Actually X made very similar torque to the Sc setup (with a reflash of course).

If i opt to not have the reflash with cams you're definitely correct, I will be all top end as the TSX cams are not much of a step up on the low lobes.

·
Premium Member
2,042 Posts
for all the supercharger nightmares you see on this sight and any other...I'd go w/option 2...not that much less power...just seems like less aggravation

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
for all the supercharger nightmares you see on this sight and any other...I'd go w/option 2...not that much less power...just seems like less aggravation
Oh really? I didn't notice many bad things. Thanks for the heads up man, any links?

I'm thinking the cams are the way to go...I'll just have my brother (tech) help me install to make me feel better about tearing my new car apart :(

1 - 13 of 13 Posts