8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've seen a ton of articles about modifying MAF's... and the x intake modifies it, but he wont disclose his secrets...so what I'm wondering has anyone else tried this...I'm gonna do it cause I believe thats where the xintake gets most of its power from...but I'm hoping that there may be others working on this as well...

http://public.fotki.com/ttschwing/maf_mods-1/bamm_big_ass_modsha/

http//www.mn12performance.com/mn12how-to/maf/maf.htm

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Another x's intake user here. It like having 5000 horsepower!!!!

j/k it is definately the best intake on the market though, I have to say.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Yea i tried lookin up the info before. Turns out its cheaper for me to have someone else do it :p
Hope you arent talking about SISM are you?

Not talking down on him but there is a very specific process that goes into modding the maf sensor. It isnt just cutting it off shaving the fins and making it bigger diameter.

The shavng of the fins is don to a certain angle and the whole fin isnt shaved, some parts are left flat etc. Remember xfactor used to do stuff like this for a living for subaru.He has done many many maf's and has dynoed each of his prototypes. Doing it wrong can result in running too lean(causing motor to run too hot) or too rich causing the car to eat gas like crazy and to run worse then usual.

Personally I spent the money having peace of mind that the product I am using is the best I can get that available to me now and that my car isnt compromised in any way using it.

·
Banned
8,394 Posts
Hope you arent talking about SISM are you?

Not talking down on him but there is a very specific process that goes into modding the maf sensor. It isnt just cutting it off shaving the fins and making it bigger diameter.

The shavng of the fins is don to a certain angle and the whole fin isnt shaved, some parts are left flat etc. Remember xfactor used to do stuff like this for a living for subaru.He has done many many maf's and has dynoed each of his prototypes. Doing it wrong can result in running too lean(causing motor to run too hot) or too rich causing the car to eat gas like crazy and to run worse then usual.

Personally I spent the money having peace of mind that the product I am using is the best I can get that available to me now and that my car isnt compromised in any way using it.
:yeahthat:

·
Registered
134 Posts
I have a crv tube, a slightly modded maf housing and a fujita filter. My housing is slightly sanded, the fins are thinned and angled etc. This setup is great and fells more powerful than my fujita but I know that X's is going to be better so, I do plan on picking up a maf from him and experimenting with different filters as well. I also have made my own custom mount for the intake system which I think works well. If you want pic's let me know.

·
Premium Member
2,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have a crv tube, a slightly modded maf housing and a fujita filter. My housing is slightly sanded, the fins are thinned and angled etc. This setup is great and fells more powerful than my fujita but I know that X's is going to be better so, I do plan on picking up a maf from him and experimenting with different filters as well. I also have made my own custom mount for the intake system which I think works well. If you want pic's let me know.
I would love pics...I really want to use the password jdm intake...I just truly believe( I know I'm an idiot) that a modified maf with a plenum type intake will truly work the best...

·
Premium Member
21,034 Posts
the only thing keeping me form buying this is going SC later.. maybe ill wait for X to make a intake that works with it.. ::cough::hint::cough::

·
Banned
1,459 Posts
the only thing keeping me form buying this is going SC later.. maybe ill wait for X to make a intake that works with it.. ::cough::hint::cough::
well for one, V1 will be light years away from any other intake on a supercharger set up. if someone with a comptech SC wants a free dyno let me know so i can test V1 and V2 on it

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
or turn around and sell the intake for 250 and take a 50 dollar loss on it. Just cause it is used doesn't mean it wont sell if you plan on not using it later on down the road.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Anyone else notice whenever someone tries to modify their own MAF or has something negative to say, X will make a comment, then blue rocket will be right behind, backing him up?
Maybe just maybe we (x's intake owners) have a better grasp as to what all went into the design on the maf housing the non owners/believers? Cutting the maf off the box and attaching a filter to it will not do anything good at all to a SI. Some people who do say negative things believe that they can make a product as easy as 1,2,3 but unfortunately that isn't the truth. Then what happens?

OMG I made a maf just like x's intake and my engine blew up! I do NOT recommend going with this intake I fried my motor with one exactly like his.

Making a car run super lean or super rich is harmful to the motor, plain and simple.

If someone wants to make their own maf go for it. Don't dog on x's intake cause it costs $300 and state that it's a ripoff and that they can make one just like it.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts