8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a quick search but didnt really come up with an answer. I normally just follow the maintenance minder for oil changed and what not. But should I still follow it when using Synthetic oil? I'm at around 9500miles and the minder is on 15%... just wondering if I should still follow the minder? or just use my own calculations? I did the oil change around 5000miles... so its been 4500miles on synthetic..

·
Registered
606 Posts
Your manual says to follow the MM no matter what, but M1 has proven to go 10k miles and beyond. I use M1 and change every 5k which I hear is way too soon but I don't care.

·
Registered
6,518 Posts
Mobil 1 ? ...Meh.

IF you're going to use Mobil, keep an eye on your oil level, their 5w-30 syn burns off QUICK.

(Hence the reason I don't use it)

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
OP I think you are fine, I typically run the M1 until about 4k-5k miles. 5k being the most I'd ever run (by that time though I am usually at 15%) Im at 45k miles now and i've been using M1 since my first oil change. I typically have to add about half a quart around 2500 miles or so.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Running to 15% on the MM always makes me nervous too - I typically change the oil and filter at 5k - although I'm trying Castrol Edge 5w-30 and a Bosch extra capacity oil filter this interval and am still really, really, really clean @ 3k miles (like hard to read on the dipstick clean) - picked up about 1-2 mpg too (I'm weird, I keep records, so I think I actually DID pick up 1-2 mpg) so I might just go by the MM this round? NEVER using Fram filters again btw, it was cheap, but oil was filthy by 3500 miles.

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
You dont have to change your oil every 3k miles unless you have an old car :) or if you track your car, just chage it every 5k miles. Engines-run much more cleaner than what they use to be back in the 60 lol.
I tried castrol, but i didnt like it, so i went back to Mobile 1 fully synthetic

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
Some newer cars come with a sensor that monitors the quality of the engine oil and lets you know when you need to chage it, but i dont think our do
Our cars go by the mileage. You can also check you oil manually and see what color the oil is.
New oil is generally an amber type color and Oil turns black over time since it picks up debris and breaks down from the heat.

changing every 3k is BS and a waste of money

·
Registered
606 Posts
Mobil 1 ? ...Meh.

IF you're going to use Mobil, keep an eye on your oil level, their 5w-30 syn burns off QUICK.

(Hence the reason I don't use it)
It depends on the vehicle. M1 5-20 has worked flawlessly in many R18's and I believe several K20's. Some people report burn off after 2k miles or so, but I have gone 5k intervals for 40k miles with NO loss of oil.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.