8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have been asking and reading around the forum but i keep getting mixed answers on lowering my fg2. what i want to know is if i just want to drop my car for looks(not performance), can i just get lowering springs? without a camber kit? will my dampers blow? ....i just want to know if its a bad long term decision to drop it without the camber kit and all....

thanks guys

·
Registered
11,919 Posts
You can just get lowering springs, yes.

You can get lowering springs without getting a camber kit, yes.

Your dampers will last considerably shorter since they're not valved correctly (nor have a long enough stroke) to work properly with a lowered application.

It is bad long term because the the dampers will blow, and not getting a camber kit will promote uneven wear on your tires. It will also affect handling.

WHY would you want to do that?
He did say "just for looks". :D

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
Yodums GET OUT...I see YOu NO MODS IN THE suspension forum as we still get these sort or threads so GET OUT..:p I love you anyway...

·
Registered
13,283 Posts
Even a non lowerd civci will have uneven tire wear in the back because the sock car comes with -1.5 degrees of camber in the rear. Lowering is only going to increase that and increase the uneven tire wear.

As far as your shocks blowing, its a long process. So long that you really won't know its happening until one day the light turns on and you realize that your shocks have been blown for a while. How long will it take? Depends on the roads, driving style, spring rate, drop etc. The only thing for sure is the shocks will blow before their shelf life with stock springs expires.

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
I just can't comprehend that mentality.......:eek:hnoes:
thats why you do it in steps like me....lowering springs, then camber kit then shocks:thumb: that way i never go into debt and you get better looks and better handling...just not all at once:sadwavy:

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
Not talking about debt why not do it right rather than cost more money in the long run? Do it your way and then you need new tires also, and maybee a bushing here or there, and maybee this or that...See what I mean..Wait to do it right the first time rather than doing it twice...

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
Not talking about debt why not do it right rather than cost more money in the long run? Do it your way and then you need new tires also
Yeah I know what you mean I agree that it would only cost you more money in the long run to not do all of them

Either way springs arent going on until spring so ill have a camber kit by then...then the waiting game begins for koni

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
Right..Do it once do it right rather than fixing problems you have caused from your previous Mods...I have done it many times WRONG and it cost ALOT more in the long run..

·
Registered
283 Posts
well, i'm dropped 1.5 all around with front and rear camber. the car drags to one side, had alignment done 3 times so it's probably radial drag. shocks blown = yes, i've had the springs on for about a good 8 months and they are definetley dying, i know this because the car is more bouncy and my tires are starting to rub now on most of the bumps i go threw which it hadn't before. after this winter, i'm going to be getting hfp suspension kit. ohh yeah, before the camber was corrected for the rear, the tires were slanted very noticable, it looked depressing.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
thanks for the info. guys..i was planning on doing it by steps also but after finally reading some definitive, conclusive, and straight up answers i decided to wait and buy it all at once:biggrin:

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
will the eibach pro kit blow the stock shocks so quickly? i mean its avery conservative drop. and my camber and or tire wear seems tobe fine so far. had it on for about 3k miles. thinkin bout struts and camber kit next year and/if the stock units blow. but it seems the kit is holding pretty nicely so far.

·
Kansas Chainsaw Massacre
6,296 Posts
will the eibach pro kit blow the stock shocks so quickly? i mean its avery conservative drop. and my camber and or tire wear seems tobe fine so far. had it on for about 3k miles. thinkin bout struts and camber kit next year and/if the stock units blow. but it seems the kit is holding pretty nicely so far.
I have essentially the same question- if I were to use the eibach pro-kit (1 inch drop all around...) and a camber kit, would I need aftermarket dampers? and if I do need aftermarket dampers, who suggests what (other than the HFP kit...)?

1 - 20 of 81 Posts