8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i miss shifted and pegged 9k+ but the engine seems good..talked to COMPlex and he looked at it and said the engine is good but i think the tranny is making a whine now....there is a noise for sure just guessin its the tranny...it only does this under load (while the car is driving) and when i step on the clutch or put it in neutral it stops...any ideas?:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
i would say good bye to your bearings n the tranny... i had a bad whine in 1st then n 2nd got alil better but you could still hear it. n that was my problem

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
that should not have anything to do with why ur tranny whines, maybe the whine has always been there but you have never really noticed it till now because you are paying more attention since

·
Registered
8,413 Posts
almost all of our honda trannys (Si) whine a bit. Honda says it is the way the gears were cut in manufacturing. We had a tranny rebuilt with all new bearings in all of the gears and it still did it.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I would be more worried about your motor if you did that than the tranny, revving past 9k on a downshift from redline 3rd to 1st is no good for your engine. Later.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well i know of ppl takin theirs to 9500 all the time and nothin...plus i heard that honda takes them to 9k at the factory to test em

·
Registered
25 Posts
Above redline, the engine just cuts off anyways. I would say prolonged redline would cause damage. By the sounds of it, the whine may have always been there.

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
would this be covered under warranty if they dont know i miss shifted?
if its under warranty i would just got to ur local dealership show them wuts wrong n just say it started alil while ago n you dont know what or why its happening...

mine i had to pay out of my own pocket since my car is out of warrany now :( but i decided to go with something better kinda gave me excuse to buy a brand new performance tranny from gearspeedinc.com soo i got carbon synchros n also high speed highload bearings it came to like 3,200 for labor n everything

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yeah i talked to the dealer i bought it from at told them that we had went on a small road trip (which is the truth) and on the way back it started a weird noise so i gotta take it in tomorrow for diagnostics

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
well that cool hopefully everything works out for you. i know when my failed i was drag racing n i couldnt get traction 1st 2nd or 3rd (pry becuz of the supercharger lol) n after a few passes n now traction i gave up n started home then i noticed mine whining 1st thur 4th n it got quieter the high speed i got n also when i let go of the gas i heard alil rattling sound so i took it to a local tranny shop which i had a guy drive it n he told me the bearings 1st thur 4th were shot... n after tearing it apart i also had a pilot bearing that was torn apart... soo yeah anyways hopefully you get it fixed under warranty i know honda fixed mine once before after alot of bullshit (for the 3rd gear tsb)

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Above redline, the engine just cuts off anyways. I would say prolonged redline would cause damage. By the sounds of it, the whine may have always been there.
not if it was a downshift that caused the over rev ... the engine will not fuel cut on downshifting ... only when hitting revlim does fuel cut kick in

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
mine does a lil whine in all gears cept for 5th and 6th (that i can tell) and yeah if i let up or whatever it stops and yeah im hoping that it will be covered

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
I looked into this.. same had happened to my car and i took it in and they also said it was the tranny bearings and replaced them all and of course the whining was still there.

Came around to searching online for more causes, and the best reason I can think, is that the LSD in our cars is what is making the whinning noise since it's only upon load and it was not the transmission bearings.

I've seen a few people online post how that might be the problem, so i'll search around and see if I can find that info again, but that sounds like it just might be the culprit. Going to take it back to the dealer soon and see if they can look into the LSD.

·
Registered
5,918 Posts
Please don't post anything if you obviously don't know about it. The misinformation on this forum is consistently increasing because people talk about things they think they know about.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Please don't post anything if you obviously don't know about it. The misinformation on this forum is consistently increasing because people talk about things they think they know about.
yes that...cause i hit 9 k no prob and i normally get fuel cut at 8200...so....:facepalm:

·
Registered
129 Posts
If you mis-shift and actually grab the wrong gear and engage the clutch, there's nothing the engine can do to stop it...the tires are still rotating >> Car is in gear >> Engine gets pwnd.

·
Registered
11,043 Posts
you made this sound like you missed a gear and just free revved at first.

But now with this information, when they go to repair it, THEY WILL WITHOUT A DOUBT SEE THAT YOU OVERREVED THE CAR.

At that point it's up to them if they want to deny you or give you partial good will or whatever.

Good luck man, engine making noises afterwards is never a good thing.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
you made this sound like you missed a gear and just free revved at first.

But now with this information, when they go to repair it, THEY WILL WITHOUT A DOUBT SEE THAT YOU OVERREVED THE CAR.

At that point it's up to them if they want to deny you or give you partial good will or whatever.

Good luck man, engine making noises afterwards is never a good thing.
thanks for the g/l but i never stated that the engine is makin a noise...its in the tranny/lsd, the engine is fine....and i know about the cpu makin a note of the over rev...if i have to pay for "fail" then ill pay for fail......im only askin for input about what could be wrong...again i say i no..:facepalm:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.