8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright so today after being at work for a good 6 hours I get into my 2008 Civic LX I just recently bought a few weeks ago. Usually my car starts right up fast because it's brand new but today it took a good 2-3 seconds for the car to turn on which makes me nervous because it has never taken that long for a my car to startup.

*No I did not leave my lights on or anything on in my car that could of delayed the startup.

*And I live in southern North Carolina where it was about 50 degrees today so cold shouldn't of been a factor.

The only recent change to my car I did was last night I upgraded from a stock drop in air filter to a K&N drop in filter. From my understanding the air filter has nothing to do when starting a car, correct?

When I started up my car before I left for work it was fine which makes this all weird.

I know it's nothing major but the car was manufactured in November and it has 365 miles on it and if i'm not mistaken a car should start right up just like it has quickly all the other times. It just makes me a bit concerned because the only recent change was the K&N drop in air filter which I don't think ha anything to do with the car starting up.

I haven't tried to turn it on since I got home to see if it would do it again or if it was just a faulty startup.

If anyone can give me a few troubleshooting ideas to this little issue which is really nothing but to make sure nothing is wrong I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,

Robert

·
Registered
68 Posts
When I first bought my car I read the manual cover to cover. I attempted to find the entry again but was unsuccessful.

Paraphrasing. "This vehicle is equipt with advanced emissions system. On occasion this will cause a slight delay (up to several seconds) in the starting of the vehicle. This is normal."

Hope this helps Robert.
Cheers.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
This is normal. It happened to me before. It hasn't come back since though. I was in the same situation you were in.

·
Registered
76 Posts
happened to me today this is the second time this has happend in 2000 miles..

what is the reason for this? took 3 tries to start

·
Registered
165 Posts
Weird im reading this tonight cause this happened to me today when i was leaving work. The car was sitting for about 9 hours as it does every day when i'm at work and it took that extra second to fire. This was the first time in 800 miles for me but it doesnt bother me at all. One word.....Warranty

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
When I first bought my car I read the manual cover to cover. I attempted to find the entry again but was unsuccessful.

Paraphrasing. "This vehicle is equipt with advanced emissions system. On occasion this will cause a slight delay (up to several seconds) in the starting of the vehicle. This is normal."

Hope this helps Robert.
Cheers.

Its on the small Quick Start Guide, first page under "Things You Need to Know"

last line of the page/bullet point

"At times, the engine may take longer to start than usual; the engine management software is working to reduce emissions at start-up"

hope this helps.

·
Banned
14,725 Posts
the civic comes with a very weak battery, the cold weather emphasizes this. i went ahead and changed my battery to an optima red top and havent had a problem since.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts