8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

My girlfriend and I have been discussing moving from NY to San Francisco. We are both around 30, no kids, and we can afford the move. We figured we should move while we were still young.

One question for all the locals. In all the forums I keep reading about carb exemption. Right off the bat, I know my car will not pass any smog inspections. Jrsc, rh, etc, and I can't easily go back to stock.

What's the deal with smog checks in north Cali? I'm okay with selling my civic for a car that is faster stock. Like an S2000, a Z, or a new muscle car. Can big power be made and still keep it legal? Any issues with dropped cars? Give me a heads up!

Are any cars exempt from smog checks? Are motor swaps legal?

I'll also be bringing my bikes. I assume my 72 cb500 race bike will be exempt. Do they have the same rules for new bikes like they do for cars?

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
Hey everyone,

My girlfriend and I have been discussing moving from NY to San Francisco. We are both around 30, no kids, and we can afford the move. We figured we should move while we were still young.

One question for all the locals. In all the forums I keep reading about carb exemption. Right off the bat, I know my car will not pass any smog inspections. Jrsc, rh, etc, and I can't easily go back to stock.

What's the deal with smog checks in north Cali? I'm okay with selling my civic for a car that is faster stock. Like an S2000, a Z, or a new muscle car. Can big power be made and still keep it legal? Any issues with dropped cars? Give me a heads up!

Are any cars exempt from smog checks? Are motor swaps legal?

I'll also be bringing my bikes. I assume my 72 cb500 race bike will be exempt. Do they have the same rules for new bikes like they do for cars?
I doubt you can make big power and still keep it legal since you would usually need to open up the cat to free up most of the power. :shrug:

Dropped cars, depends where you're at...... SF I really don't know, but I know some people in SJ/Fremont being hassled for being too low.

Cars are exempt if it's 1975 and older.

Also motorcycles are exempt from smog.

But like everyone said, keep NY tags if possible!

·
Registered
599 Posts
Dropped cars, depends where you're at...... SF I really don't know, but I know some people in SJ/Fremont being hassled for being too low.
Dropped cars in SF is a pain in the @$$... most driveway inclines in SF are made for SUVs or some other bull... overall, yes you DO see dropped cars in SF, but their underbodies, front bumpers, side skirts, etc are all F'd!! if you have coils, consider raising back up for a while until you get used to the road conditions in SF.

I dont hear about ppl getting hassled about being low in SF, but Fremont (about 35 mins south of SF) used to have the issue when this one particular officer was around (lol... a LOOOOOT of the South Bay area guys have unfortunately encountered this guy). He would ALWAYS be citing modded cars... even for front tint or even not having front plates, THEN on top of it he'll find other excuses to pop your hood to find other "illegal" mods. But the word is that he is no longer around

·
Registered
4,306 Posts
We talkin about the same cop that pulls over other cops who aren't on duty? Yeah, my friend got pulled over for his front tint by that officer.

·
Registered
6,272 Posts
Hahaha, I had no idea Officer Rosette was this well known.

I've had modded/lowered/illegal parts on all of my cars and have done well so far. But you have to be smart about it. As long as you don't drive like an ass hat every where you should be fine.

And like everybody else says, keep the NY tags for as long as possible. It saves you a lot of hassle.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts