8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My '03 Mustang GT w/ 80,000 miles is getting ready to blow and I don't think I'm going to pay to have it fixed. I'm working on a deal at my local Honda dealership and have a few questions.

The dealership is telling me it could take as long as 30+ days to get a Si in with Navigation, is this typical?

I'm torn on whether or not to get the Si w/ Nav. I don't think I will really ever use it but like the other features of the screen. I actually like the look of the non-nav. dash better. Is the navigation unit worth the extra $$?

I have been reading the boards and found a few quality / reliability issues - I know there are always going to be a few problems with any model but are there widespread issues with the 09+ Units?

Thanks.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I was debating the same thing with my 08 si and I ended up with a non nav and am very happy. Not for nothing but the car is so fun to drive that u wont even notice the nav unit:p save the few $$ and put in a few mods:p

Ive had no problems with my car... only annoying thing is the windows rattling, dont know if it still does on the 09:p

best of luck, ull love the car

·
Registered
75 Posts
I agree that the non-nav dash looks a bit better....which is part of the reason why I went with the non-nav. The other reason was quite simple. I asked myself how often I would actually use the navigation feature...the answer was seldom to never. The other features are nice (bluetooth, touchscreen controls etc.) but not worth the approx 2k price increase. Keep in mind that I'm a Banker and CPA...so I have a habit of completing a cost/benefit analysis before I make a purchase. I know...I'm a geek.

Think about it...if you finance your vehicle for 60 months...that Nav unit is costing you about 50 bucks a month, including interest. Here's an analogy...that would be like adding 50 bucks a month to your cell phone bill for international capabilities when you know damn well you're unlikely to leave the country.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I agree that the non-nav dash looks a bit better....which is part of the reason why I went with the non-nav. The other reason was quite simple. I asked myself how often I would actually use the navigation feature...the answer was seldom to never. The other features are nice (bluetooth, touchscreen controls etc.) but not worth the approx 2k price increase. Keep in mind that I'm a Banker and CPA...so I have a habit of completing a cost/benefit analysis before I make a purchase. I know...I'm a geek.

Think about it...if you finance your vehicle for 60 months...that Nav unit is costing you about 50 bucks a month, including interest. Here's an analogy...that would be like adding 50 bucks a month to your cell phone bill for international capabilities when you know damn well you're unlikely to leave the country.
Good Point. Are the nav. units the same across all of the Civic line? I was not impressed with the resolution of the nav. screen they showed me in a regular Civic.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Good Point. Are the nav. units the same across all of the Civic line? I was not impressed with the resolution of the nav. screen they showed me in a regular Civic.
I'm rather confident that they are all the same. The Hybrid is the only variable that I'm not sure about.

The resolution and rough-looking placement (kind of like a rectangle hole was cut in the dash and a nav thrown in) is a common complaint stated by professional reviewers. My buddy has it...likes it...but also complains about the resolution and the lack of a "clean" look regarding the placement in the dash. Almost looks like an aftermarket, borderline hack job.
It does, however, get great reviews regarding it's usability and function, and my friend concurs. Thus, it is a good nav system, though not aesthetically pleasing. IMO...still not worth the 2k unless you're a traveler, and even then I'd just get a Nuvi.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
IMO, the nav. unti is just for show. A few people I know dont even use it for its purpose. they just turn it on to "look cool". After the interst you'll pay for that nav. unit, you'll end up paying more than you would if you just got an aftermarket in-dash. and the 30 day wait is garbage. I'd just go with the non-nav Si.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Ive had no problems with my car... only annoying thing is the windows rattling, dont know if it still does on the 09:p
it still exists. i have a 09 si and my window rattles when its half open. btw, my car has nav and i love it! i know it add 2k more to your budget but the fitment is great and i think it worth every penny.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm putting a bunch of money down and will only be financing for 3 years so it's not such a big deal, just not sure how I like the way it looks. On another note: My co-workers are a little confused I have been debating between the Si and a new Mustang for the past few days, but I'm not very happy with Ford right now. What kind of engine blows with 80k babied miles on it?

·
Registered
140 Posts
i got it with the navi and its one of my favorite things on the car. not necessary, but if your into stuff in that nature then i would suggest you wait. has some really cool features. and another Si with driver side window rattle. annoys the hell out of me.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i got it with the navi and its one of my favorite things on the car. not necessary, but if your into stuff in that nature then i would suggest you wait. has some really cool features. and another Si with driver side window rattle. annoys the hell out of me.
Not really concerned about window rattle, I have been driving a Mustang for 6 years and EVERYTHING in that car rattles.

·
Registered
5,847 Posts
I got the stock Navi and at first I wasn't really concerned about navigation, but after using it awhile, I don't know how I'd do without one. You can find almost anything and any road, very helpful IMO. It's all in the negotiation, mine was added at no charge.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I got the stock Navi and at first I wasn't really concerned about navigation, but after using it awhile, I don't know how I'd do without one. You can find almost anything and any road, very helpful IMO. It's all in the negotiation, mine was added at no charge.
I like the idea of having navigation and like the other features that are inlcuded with the unit but again, I'm just not sold on the way it looks or the resolution of the screen, for that price it seems they could have made a higher resolution LED screen.

I'm going to have to order the car if I buy one not sure I will have a lot of room for negotiation.

·
Registered
11,037 Posts
ok honda has a stand alone nav unit like a tom tom...much cheaper and will come in faster....and to everyone that is lookin to buy an si right now...tell them to look up a mugen for u....now u can get a mugen for a couple grand more than a regular si and the mugen is a limited edition car...and i fell in love with it...

·
Registered
5,847 Posts
ok honda has a stand alone nav unit like a tom tom...much cheaper and will come in faster....and to everyone that is lookin to buy an si right now...tell them to look up a mugen for u....now u can get a mugen for a couple grand more than a regular si and the mugen is a limited edition car...and i fell in love with it...
I don't get why they didn't beef up the power on it.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
mine was added with no charge. in my opinion i think the dash looks better with the navi i dont use it as much but looks great and also like the touch screen features lol

·
Registered
154 Posts
If money isn't a problem, get it with the ipod interface to make it worth while. If you want to save money, don't get it and buy a garmin nuvi. Nuvis are pretty awesome.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts