8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, there is a gas station in town that gives Mid Grade gas at the Regular Grade price on Mondays. We have been filling up every Monday. We were getting around 45MPG and now since the switch around 41MPG. Anyone else had the same experience? Any reason why I shouldn't be putting mid grade in the Hybrid?

·
Registered
107 Posts
I say your car is tuned for 87 octane so putting in a higher octane is running fuel that your car is not designed to use. So that could explain the small drop in mileage. However, there are many contributing factors that could explain it. Winter blend gas, you drove it a bit harder than normal, etc.

·
Registered
124 Posts
To answer your question, your car is designed to run on 87 Octane. A higher grade of gasoline won't improve power or gas mileage unless your vehicle has a high compression engine, like an SI. Using a higher grade of gas in some cars designed for regular 87 gasoline can give you less power and mileage although most of the time it shouldn't really effect anything other than the amount of money left in your wallet after filling up.
Switch back to regular and your gas mileage should improve. Even though it's a deal getting mid-grade for the same price, it's really just a waste in your vehicle.

If you're mileage is the same after the switchback, it could be the cold weather and/or changed driving styles as mentioned by JoePa.

·
Registered
10,957 Posts
Some high octane fuels use a % of ethanol to increase the octane rating. Ethanol has a lower BTU energy content thus it will get less MPG.

also the weather is getting colder. Cold weather cause the tire pressure to decrease. Decrease in tire pressure = increase rolling resistance = less MPG.

·
VIP Member
12,350 Posts
Not sure about hybrids but I get better FE with higher octane.
However, the price of higher octane gas cancels out the better FE.
Also the winter blends have a sometimes a huge impact on FE depending on the station

·
Premium Member
2,046 Posts
higher octane fuel is designed to be less volantile... people dont seem to understand that..

and that putting higher octane fuel in a car where it isnt req'd will often hurt performance... it doesnt help anything if the car doesnt need higher octane fuel.... except sometimes with older cars, they will start having knock issues. in this case often up grading the gas will stop and fix the issue.

other than that you are just wasting money.

basically as gas gets compressd it gets more volantile, well ur car has lower compression ratio, so its not getting the higher grade gas to the compressed point it needs for a clean and thourough burn from the spark plug.

so higher octane fuel is just requires more compression b4 it burns like normal fuel..

i tried explaning it in a way everyone could understand

you really want to put better gas in your car? find gas stations around you that have etanol free gas... sadly theres not one close to be.. but i guarntee if you use ethanol free gas, you will see better mgp... ethanol is screwing us royally. it adds cost by manufacturing it, thus offsetting the 10% less gas we are actually getting, and it doesnt burn as well as gasoline. so we are actually paying the same amount or more, for a lesser product!(we get robbed of power and mpg by ethanol)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Killswitch21 is correct. However, i think in some situations people who put premium in an 87 octane car may get some short term benefit because there may be more detergents in that particular brand's higher octane fuel and the car benefits from them. Still cheaper to fill up with 87 and toss in some reputable fuel additive or spend a bit more and get the injectors cleaned.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Killswitch21 is correct. However, i think in some situations people who put premium in an 87 octane car may get some short term benefit because there may be more detergents in that particular brand's higher octane fuel and the car benefits from them. Still cheaper to fill up with 87 and toss in some reputable fuel additive or spend a bit more and get the injectors cleaned.
Top Tier Gasoline has a list of fuel suppliers that provide adequate detergency in all grades of gasoline.

·
Registered
251 Posts
how do i find out if my local gas station has or doesnt have ethenal free gas?
because to be honest there is one gas station that when i put gas there i get more MPG. then the other. take in note that i ONLY put Chevron.
can it be that this gas station is placed in a more richer community then the other ones?

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Ethanol content is often determined by region, rather than brand of gasoline. different states/counties may have different laws requiring ethanol content. For example, many northern states may require the use of ethanol, especially in winter, to prevent the fuel from gelling while in underground storage tanks.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.