8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a rallye red 08 Civic SI with the Avic-D3 in it. I'm looking into getting window tints and I want to see if anyone can refer me to some good tint shops here in Michigan. Also, what type of window film is the best and would it mess with the reception of the radio/navigation?

I was thinking 35% for front two windows and 0% for back 3 windows.
OH. and how would the visor tint look like on the windshield?

Suggestions and/or opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
795 Posts
nooo im pretty sure almost positive that its 100% illegal to have your whole windshield tinted at all.... i meant seeing out your back window

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
For the windshield? What?
FTW = For The Win.

I got my tint done at Buzz Off Auto in Troy. It's on Maple road just west of Crooks. They did good work and have always been pretty nice. They take their time (took 5 hours!), but good price ($180) and they're nice. Lifetime warranty on mine, too. I got 35% all around. Don't have navi, but I think as long as you don't get metallic tint you should be fine with navi. Ask for ceramic tint or tell the shop about your navi and they can direct you to a brand that won't interfere with it.

·
Registered
637 Posts
leave the windshield the hell alone.
:yeahthat: and be prepared to roll down the windows and use the side mirrors to back up at night if you go darker than 35%. Also, if you get in an accident and your tint is illegal in your state, your insurance company can deny your claim in some cases. :coffee:

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
In MI you can tint the windows behind the driver's and passenger's as dark as you like. Legally, you have to leave a 6" band across the top of the driver and passenger window before starting tint, but that looks silly. I've never had a problem with my 35% tint and know several people who never had a problem with 20%. Lower than that and I don't know. If you want it really dark, I'd go 20% up front (to keep the police happy) and do 5% in the back if you want.

I think you can do whatever you want (in regards to tinting darkness) as long as you're above the AS-1 line. Michigan is pretty lenient.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
:yeahthat: and be prepared to roll down the windows and use the side mirrors to back up at night if you go darker than 35%. Also, if you get in an accident and your tint is illegal in your state, your insurance company can deny your claim in some cases. :coffee:
Now that is very helpful. Thank you. Can you give some examples of when they can deny the claim? Is it only if the accident could have been avoided if you had "more visibility"?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
What about the fact that I wear glasses or contacts? I've been told that if I consulted my doctor and told him that the sun was bothering me that I can go as dark as I want.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
What about the fact that I wear glasses or contacts? I've been told that if I consulted my doctor and told him that the sun was bothering me that I can go as dark as I want.
You can on the windshield as long as you have a signed note by him you can show the cops. People use those notes so they can tint the windshield. You can use it to put 5% tint on all the other windows, too, if you want.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts