8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys wanted a different pov so here it goes...I recently got a tsx motor on the cheap...I went and purchased bc stage 3 cams, springs, retainers, I
was gonna buy some 11.5:1 pistons, and TWM ITb's...

but then I thought about how turbo cars are using methanol to allow them to run more boost and I thought...why couldn't you do it n/a?

If I were to run methanol, I should be able to bump up the compression 13+:1 and still run it safe...I've been looking at the meth kits and they state that using methanol bumps the octane up to around 100 octane...which should be safe for those high compression pistons...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GsKNbsDqEPs

I was thinking of something like this...dual injectors 1 set for gas 1 set for methanol....this car will probably never see the street...so driveability isn't my biggest concern...

so what do you think...let me know...

Thanks

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
I was thinking about this idea this morning! lol Works fine on boost lets see if anyone has messed with N.A

·
Premium Member
2,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I cant find anyone doing it n/a...this is actually been in my head for a little while...done alot of searching...if you were to use aem, they were designed for up to 8 injectors

·
Registered
119 Posts
Or you could wait till ethanol is readliy available. E85 i think is runs at like 115 octane, and the conversion is not that costly; just some fliters and lines. I believe it was on the discovery channel recenently, and the conversion would be like 200 dollars. Plus once it is readliy available the price would be really cheap. But sticking to the subject i dont really know of any n/a cars with that. Isnt it costly though?

·
Registered
919 Posts
I suppose you COULD do this... But with lack of tuning available, good luck... You are going to have to run a leaner AFR, advance the timing, up your compression, and have some bolt-ons to increase the volumetric efficiency of the engine in order to take advantage of the gains... Also, on boosted cars, the system injects the water/methanol mixture under boost load... Running N/A, you're going to have to have a CONSTANT water/meth injection to stop detonation... But also, meth injection has a cooling affect, and on an N/A car, up the compression and the like, you really dont run into temperature problems like boosted cars do... And I can't say I have ever heard of anyone running ONLY methanol, usually just windshield washer fluid or a 50/50 water/meth mix...

Methanol also causes cancer. :biggrin:

·
Premium Member
2,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I suppose you COULD do this... But with lack of tuning available, good luck... You are going to have to run a leaner AFR, advance the timing, up your compression, and have some bolt-ons to increase the volumetric efficiency of the engine in order to take advantage of the gains... Also, on boosted cars, the system injects the water/methanol mixture under boost load... Running N/A, you're going to have to have a CONSTANT water/meth injection to stop detonation... But also, meth injection has a cooling affect, and on an N/A car, up the compression and the like, you really dont run into temperature problems like boosted cars do... And I can't say I have ever heard of anyone running ONLY methanol, usually just windshield washer fluid or a 50/50 water/meth mix...

Methanol also causes cancer. :biggrin:
why couldn't you utilize an aem computer for an rsx for this...this motor is not going in my fa5 but rather an em2...so I don't have the dash probs...

Question? couldn't you utilize ivtec and ignition maps to reduce the detonation at low rpms, so that the methanol only functions at wot...Kind of the way those direct injectors work...

These kits are cheap money, and washer fluid is only $2.00 a gallon vs. 3.19 for premium and $5+ for 100 octane...

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
ive thought ab doin this... but idk how good gains would be on NA. i kno they are quiet noticable on boosted cars.

·
Premium Member
2,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
http://www.alcohol-injection.com/

no definitely methanol....

with the higher compression, advanced ignition, I'm thinking should be you should be able to gain 20-30 hp...but the significant advantage should be in torque...

Speed motion? or something like that has a k24 bored over to 2.6L making 311 hp...now if you could get it up to 340...you'd have one hell of an n/a

·
Registered
919 Posts
why couldn't you utilize an aem computer for an rsx for this...this motor is not going in my fa5 but rather an em2...so I don't have the dash probs...

Question? couldn't you utilize ivtec and ignition maps to reduce the detonation at low rpms, so that the methanol only functions at wot...Kind of the way those direct injectors work...

These kits are cheap money, and washer fluid is only $2.00 a gallon vs. 3.19 for premium and $5+ for 100 octane...

Oh, well, if you aren't using it in the FA5, then really you can "frankenstein" anything together to work... I don't see why not, give it a shot and post the results, you might be onto something!

·
Banned
1,422 Posts
http://www.alcohol-injection.com/Speed motion? or something like that has a k24 bored over to 2.6L making 311 hp...now if you could get it up to 340...you'd have one hell of an n/a
Thats sounds nice and all but is any of that usable on the street? I'm thinking drag suspension and slicks would be the only way you could control that power.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts