8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a LX Sedan MT and just started hearing a nasty metallic scraping in 2nd and 3rd. It sounds as if there is something metallic dragging along the ground from the front of the car. To me, it sounds like its coming from the transmission (it is most definately a drivetrain issue...the noise doesn't happen in 1st, so I would doubt its the brakes). Anyone else have this issue? Can anyone else think of what it could be? I'll be calling the dealership on Monday morning (hopefully the snow will end by then)...going to see if I can get it towed (since I'm about 30 miles from home and about 50 miles from my dealership). Any ideas?? Help!

·
Registered
117 Posts
Is it when it is in low rpm and when you start revving you hear this loud thump in the front right part of the car?

From what you are saying, it doesn't seem like a gear grind.

·
Acorns!
17,760 Posts
yeah, I've seen a few posts now about odd noises. A few thought it had something to do with a heat shield etc. I woudln't drive the car to be honest - Let the dealership look into it and evaluate the problem.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
aznkukuboi said:
Is it when it is in low rpm and when you start revving you hear this loud thump in the front right part of the car?

its when you're doing anything in gear...cruising, accelerating, decelerating. Its not a rumbling or loud thump or anything. Its actually like a piece of metal is hanging down from the car and scraping across the ground. But, its coming from the front of the car and nothing is hanging down at all....and again, its not in 1st gear. Sounds like something got loose in the tranny and is getting caught and scraping the housing. No clue. I'm taking it in tomorrow and not driving it more after that until its fixed.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ugh, took the car out and it doesn't make the noise as much anymore! Now its gonna bother me since they'll tell me theres nothing wrong. UGH

·
Registered
23 Posts
wow, that's exactly what happened to me about 2 weeks ago.....thought I was hearing things and turned the stereo down, I thought the whole car was going to fall apart....mine sounded like it was coming from the front drivers side wheel. I drove enough to get it off the road and into a parking lot and by the time I got it turned around the horrible noise stopped. Hasn't made it since. I was told about a heat shield as well but without being able to duplicate the noise nobody was able to confirm what it was?????

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Took it to the dealership and the noise was gone. So, obviously, they couldn't hear or duplicate anything. The tech told me that if it happens again more consistently, to bring it in. He also said that it could be a little rock or pebble getting lodged in between the brake and the shield and the reason it could only be heard in those gears cause the speed was "just right" or something like that. So, maybe this car is more susceptible to those kinds of things happening. I heard it a bit last night, too, but it quickly went away (this time, I was braking a bit going downhill in 3rd). CivicChick, do you have an EX or LX?

·
Registered
23 Posts
You may be right, but geez......that is NOT the sound you want to be hearing on your brand new car ;-) I thought I was going to have to call the tow truck!

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
CivicChick said:
You may be right, but geez......that is NOT the sound you want to be hearing on your brand new car ;-) I thought I was going to have to call the tow truck!
Me too! And I was 40 miles from home on New Year's Eve, too!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Engine compartment - Grinding Noise

aznkukuboi said:

Had my car since late-May. I notice this noise occurs only when I drive off in the morning, or going home after work, which implies it occurs after the car has been at rest. Last month, I was overseas for a week and when I used my car again, I heard this loud grinding sound coming from the engine compartment; this was the first time I took notice of this sound.

I'm speculating three areas of possible fault: transmission (from 1st to 2nd?), timing CHAIN, A/C compressor kicking in. Again, this noise (as if something sync'ing with friction) occurs only once, at the on-set of the journey; I'll not hear the sound again during the rest of my journey. As the noise comes only once on a journey, it's hard to replicate it to the tech on-site.

I'm disappointed with the car :banghead:; there's another knocking sound when the car goes over a pothole or road depression. From another thread, I trace it to a defective engine mount which I hope to get fixed when I bring it to the workshop tomorrow.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Engine compartment grinding noise

Update: Honda Malaysia tells me that I'm supposed to warm up the engine before driving! I'm not entirely convinced; I think they're just making excuses. I'll put their hypothesis to the test...

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
same here....my car is auto...and i can hear the gears making some noise...when i put it in drive...maybe 2 sec. later..its making the noise like its still goin to gears...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts