8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 07 coupe si that I enjoy very much, however recently my car has developed an annoying metallic sounding clicking noise when I go over bumps and other road anomolies. The noise seems to be coming from either where the seat backs of the rear seats latch into the release mechanism that allows us to fold down our rear seats or the seatbelt recoiler( whatever its called). I am still not completely sure if it is coming from either place, just somewhere near there. It is not the airbag cover, I have that rattle also which I am going to have them fix on my next dealer visit. I love my car, but being as picky as I am about rattles it is driving me crazy. I would say I was disappointed in Honda on this car for its rattles but my wife has a 06 Subaru Forester Xt which rattles far worse than my car. I think this is affecting virtually all car makes worse now for whatever reason. Have any of you had this noise and been able to isolate and fix it? I would like to fix it myself to save myself the dealer service runaround and aggravation. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I had my wife drive my car today while I sat in the back seat to determine exactly where the noise is coming from. It seems the noise is coming from where the seatbelts come out of the recoiler. Does anyone here know how to pop off the plastic cover that is over them to access this area? I dont want to damage the plastic covering it. I thought if I could get inside I might me able to determine exactly what is going on and fix it. thanks

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
my car suffers the same noise, anyone? :(
On my car it was coming from the rear seatbelt retractors. I never could get the dealership to acknowledge that it was coming from there and as it always seems the rattle greatly diminished every time I took it to the dealer. They seemed to think it was coming from where the rear decking frame was spot welded together. I fail to understand how a metallic jingling sound much like the sound of loose change could come from the frame. I know it was coming from the seatbelt rectractors but they would not change them out. Out of frustration, I decided to get one of those Wd40 lubricant cans with the long straw and placed to straw as far as I could up into the retractors and sprayed the hell out of it,then I pulled the seatbelts in and out around 20 times to work it in. Believe it or not within 1 day the noises totally stopped. I have not had a single noise in several weeks no matter what I drive over. I am not sure how long this will last.

If you are able to isolate the noise, let me know if it is coming from the same area on your car. See if you can replicate it at the dealership and have them investigate your seatbelt retractors. Let me know if you have any luck getting them to replace them. I found 1 other 8th gen civic member thru the search feature that had the same problem who got the dealer to replace his that totally fixed his problem. My problem now is that I know my fix is probably temporary but because it is now not doing it the dealer obviously is not going to be able to hear it.

I hope this helps

1 - 4 of 4 Posts