8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I come to this forum in desperate need of help. I own an 08’ Honda civic LX with 195k as of yesterday. When I changed my oil recently, i got a bunch of metal flakes in the oil. For some backstory, I’ve owned the car for 6 years now and put close to 50k miles on it myself, and I’ve changed the oil every 3k miles with conventional 5w-20. At the beginning of January I began commuting 100 miles round trip 3 days a week. Long story short, I’ve taken very good care of it. Before the oil change, it was not knocking, and it still isn’t knocking after the oil change. Very quiet engine apart from that bastard passenger side motor mount. I changed the oil again 2 days later with full synthetic and a quart of lucas, there were some metal flakes, but not near as many. Im awaiting oil analysis results, and am suspecting the timing chain is rubbing against something. Very few magnetic pieces in the oil. Does anyone know what the timing chain guides are composed of? I took off the valve cover and saw a tiny sliver of shiny surface on the timing chain guide. I’d appreciate anyone and everyones input!
Brickwork Brick Gas Cookware and bakeware Circle

Gas Electric blue Wire Font Glass

·
Super Moderator
2,593 Posts
I would say if the engine continues to run smoothly, leave it alone. I have 336K on mine and it continues to run great. I have the Fumoto drain valve so i have no idea if mine is doing the same. Keep us updated and good luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts